By Pat Lefemine, Founder - Bowsite.com
There are dozens of so-called 'whitetail experts'. Guys with YouTube channels and popular social Media accounts. I really don't pay any attention to any of them and personally believe, most are just phonies. Then, there are the guys that those of us who live and breath whitetail hunting listen to. Don Higgins is one of them. Don has shot 5 bucks that average over 204". And he's done it all himself - the hard way. He puts in his own plots, manages his own land, identifies his own bucks, and then uses decades of expertise to kill them, on his own.
Don is a low-key guy, but he has opinions and is not afraid to share them. I have always admired his expertise, and his style. His advice is priceless, yet he's not one to constantly self-promote himself. That's Ok, we'll do that for him.
In this 40 minute interview, Don Higgins answers some really interesting questions. Some of his answers (like how he manages scent) maysurprise you.. And he steps you through the mistakes guys make, his strategy for hunting a giant buck, and more.
Don Higgins interview questions
Click on the buttons below to listen to each interview question.
All content is © Bowsite.com. Use is permitted with full attribution to Bowsite.com.
- Intro, what is the Whitetail Master Academy?
- If you could only bowhunt whitetails one week a year, which week would it be?
- After you identify a target buck in August, what are you doing until hunting season?
- What is your strategy for bowhunting the Rut?
- Some guys say it's impossible to kill a mature, giant buck over bait - do you agree?
- Have you ever identified a buck that was impossible to kill?
- What do you do if your target buck busts you?
- What do you think is the number one mistake bowhunters make while hunting a big buck?
- You have passed up bucks most would be consider a once-in-a-lifetime deer, any regrets?
- Accessing stands without disturbing deer is hard - what is your access strategy?
- What is your opinion on scent control - do you use those scent elimination products?
- What buck are you after this season?
- Do you subscribe to the theory of 'Bully Bucks' ?