Planting winter rye
Food Plots
This thread designated as DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive.
Messages posted to thread:
grape 26-Aug-22
MQQSE 26-Aug-22
t-roy 26-Aug-22
grape 26-Aug-22
RIT 26-Aug-22
craigmcalvey 26-Aug-22
Gileguy 26-Aug-22
Habitat for Wildlife 26-Aug-22
Arrownoob 26-Aug-22
Grunt-N-Gobble 27-Aug-22
BullBuster 27-Aug-22
t-roy 27-Aug-22
Catscratch 27-Aug-22
Cheesehead Mike 27-Aug-22
Catscratch 27-Aug-22
Catscratch 27-Aug-22
grape 28-Aug-22
grape 28-Aug-22
Habitat for Wildlife 28-Aug-22
t-roy 28-Aug-22
grape 28-Aug-22
Zbone 28-Aug-22
wildwilderness 28-Aug-22
t-roy 29-Aug-22
Habitat for Wildlife 29-Aug-22
pav 29-Aug-22
Zbone 29-Aug-22
Habitat for Wildlife 31-Aug-22
wildwilderness 31-Aug-22
Zbone 03-Sep-22
Reggiezpop 03-Sep-22
t-roy 03-Sep-22
Zbone 03-Sep-22
Stressless 22-Sep-22
t-roy 22-Sep-22
t-roy 22-Sep-22

By: grape
Date:26-Aug-22

From Wisconsin. When are you planting your winter rye? Any suggestions welcome.

By: MQQSE

I’m using it to over-seed the beans I am leaving standing. I’ll broadcast in Sept when the leaves on the beans are turning yellow.

Don’t plant too early as the rye will be unpalatable if it gets too mature before they are ready to utilize it and you want to hunt it.

By: t-roy

Anytime around or after September 1st and you should be fine in Wisconsin, grape.

T Roy ….after September 1st to how late?

By: RIT

It will grow and germinate down to 33-34 degrees but it won’t grow much. I have had better luck in that 36-37 range.

Winter rye doesn’t become unpalatable when it matures I have seen deer eat 2’ stalks. I don’t think it’s a great attractant anyway but it’s not as preferred as it matures. They do like it better when it’s young and tender. Hungry deer will hammer 2’ WR.

I always hear that it’s “unpalatable” if planted before September. Due to farming time constraints, my family plants ours first week of august. Mix of rye and forage rape. The deer hammer it from the time is sprouts until spring when everything else has greened up. This is in Michigan with surrounding ag fields.

I planted rye about 10 days ago, it's about 4" tall now. Deer love it from now until snow covers it!! The biggest issue is when deer mow it down to the dirt, never saw them not like it.

Our deer love rye grain, not quite as much as wheat, but it is better for the soil.

I have planted well into October in northern MO and had it germinate and be used by the herd.

GL!

I’ve heard some people broadcast every two weeks, ensuring a mix of young growth.

Date:27-Aug-22

I planted my rye last Saturday here in SW PA due to the incoming rain and extended forecast.

Rye is $.88 per pound here and winter wheat is $.30 per pound. Guess which one I’m planting.?

Just bought a pallet of rye yesterday, for just shy of $.30/lb.

Ordered a couple of bags yesterday for $.50/lb. I prefer awnless wheat but rye has it's place. Plus I'm a little further south than Wisconsin so that has an effect on usefulness.

Not to derail grapes thread but I'm also in Wisconsin (obviously) and I have some spots in my clover plots that have been overtaken by grass and weeds. I'm thinking about tilling those areas up and replanting clover with either winter wheat or rye for a cover crop. Which would be better, wheat or rye and why? Or is that a bad plan?

Cheesehead, I would use winter rye in that situation. It's a great nurse crop for clovers (wheat is too, but rye is a little more cold tolerant and is a little better at weed supression). Being further south and planting cereals for attraction I use wheat with rye mixed in. Up north I would plant rye with wheat mixed in.

Cheesehead, I would use winter rye in that situation. It's a great nurse crop for clovers (wheat is too, but rye is a little more cold tolerant and is a little better at weed supression). Being further south and planting cereals for attraction I use wheat with rye mixed in. Up north I would plant rye with wheat mixed in.

Date:28-Aug-22

I couldn’t stand it anymore. Winter rye is in the ground. Rainy and humid here today.

I couldn’t stand it anymore. Winter rye is in the ground. Rainy and humid here today.

Habitat for Wildlife's Supporting Link

t-roy's embedded Photo

I jumped the gun just a little bit on the rye myself, grape. They were calling for some good rains on Saturday night. I got this new 1/2 acre kill plot all prepped and tilled up this weekend. Seeded the rye on Friday, then dragged it in with a harrow section. On Saturday morning, I broadcast clover, then cultipacked it in. We got right at 3” overnight, but it has been so dry here, it didn’t wash the plot out at all. Just cut a few small small ruts in a couple of spots. Also seeded rye into a few other plots on Friday, as well. Other than being a tad bit early, I should get pretty good germination with that much rain.

Thanks Frank..interesting. T Roy that looks awesome! Mine is getting rained on right now.

By: Zbone

If seeded just before a rain, it'll sprout within a hundred hours...

Can it be sown into standing beans?

Date:29-Aug-22

Absolutely, wildwilderness. It seems to work really well if you can seed it about the time the beans are starting to turn yellow. If you have some moisture to work with, the beans dropping their leaf canopy works kind of like a mulch to help retain some moisture to help in getting the rye to sprout, plus it allows more sunlight in, which helps as well.

Agree with Troy, will be doing just that into a 4acre stand of beans within a few weeks.

By: pav

We typically plant winter rye in Indiana between mid-August and early September based on the rain forecast. Planted our fall plots two weeks ago and the winter rye is already 4-6" tall. More rain in the forecast the next two days. Plots are thriving!

I just broadcast seeded mine tonight in the rain, finished up after dark at 9 oclock... Hopefully it'll rain more tonight...

You guys were talking price, I paid around $17 per 56 pound bushel bag last year locally and around $20 this year at the same place and remember is was close to $42 for 2 bags with tax...

Date:31-Aug-22

Picked up 350 lbs. @ .35 per pound today at Tri-Star Seed.

Date:31-Aug-22

So rye is better for the soil than winter wheat? how about a brassica mix? I want food for Jan-March....

Date:03-Sep-22

Zbone's embedded Photo

Day 5, mines up about 2-1/2" - 3"...

If you broadcast into existing clover, do you have to mow the rye come spring to suppress its growth?

If it’s existing rye, I’d recommend spraying it in the spring with clethodim or Imox to terminate it. If you’re establishing a new clover plot, then I’d probably let it go.

Zbone's embedded Photo

Mine has a little of everything in there as ya can see, weeds, grass and whatever, I don't have machinery to get it to bare earth, so I mow it as short as I can and have a rake type thingy behind the mower that scratches some of it to care ground and just broadcast it... Once it germinates and sprouts and reaches this size it out grows everything else until winter, then mow it in May or June again and keep mowing throughout the summer until this time of year again and do over...

Deer have already found it being out there just about all day... And a groundhog too... They like them fresh sprouts.... Notice the one doe has already turned grey...

Date:22-Sep-22

Moisture/Rain is the biggest planning factor within the planting window.

This expanded dirt off Edge Plot got 2T/Acre AgLime 2 Sep and 15#/acre live seed of legumes and 160#/acre of cereal rye 3 Sep. Mid Ohio.

Three days later IMG-0002

12 days later IMG-0121

t-roy's embedded Photo

Totally agree about timely moisture, stressless. I finished prepping and planted this kill plot on August 27th. We had been extremely dry for most of August, but they were calling for a very high likelihood of some goodly amounts of rain. We got 3” of rainfall overnight, and I was concerned about this plot getting washed out and rutted up from the runoff. It was so dry that almost all of the rain soaked in. I had a couple of minor washes, but overall it turned out great.

t-roy's embedded Photo

Winter rye and a clover mix. Growing like gangbusters.

This plot is only about 100 yards right up the hill from my house, on the edge of a big bedding flat. I built a big permanent (2 person) stand in a white oak tree. You can see it in the pic. My wife doesn’t deer hunt, but she likes to go with me and observe. This stand is super easy to slip up into before daylight, with a south wind. There is always a lot of activity on this flat, so she should see lots of action.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.