Trackdawg 20-Jul-22
Habitat for Wildlife 20-Jul-22
Pat Lefemine 20-Jul-22
Trackdawg 20-Jul-22
Trackdawg 28-Jul-22
MQQSE 28-Jul-22
MQQSE 28-Jul-22

Date:20-Jul-22

I have e an old clover plot that needs rotated into something else. What’s the best way to kill it off. There are many weeds in it now and the existing clover is very poor looking. It is about four years old. Should I just disc it in? I can spray but gly doesn’t usually kill off clover:

Track,

I like to green manure, turn the plants under whenever possible; however, if there is too much density to do that effectively I will spray the plot with my tractor and 50 gallon sprayer with one gallon of 41 percent Gly and one quart of broadleaf weed killer like 2-4-D amine. Most Glys have surfactant added but I might add another pint or Dawn liquid soap.

I just did this 10 days ago on an acre of clover/weeds and everything is brown.

Because of the broadleaf residual potential, I wait a minimum of 10 days to re-plant.

Others have a different approach and hope they share with you. Good luck.

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

Very similar. I make a hot mix of 3% gly and 2-4D Amine and apply twice during the summer. I do not disk until August, otherwise you are just bringing up more weed seeds. In August the summer weeds won't have time to mature and go to seed (Anything North of the Mason Dixon Line). If you are establishing a new clover plot, disk and seed in august with a companion planting of oats, wheat or rye. The following spring, hit it with IMOX or Butyrac/Clethodim in April, or just when you are starting to see the ground greening up.

I have done this a hundred times and it works really well. You also may not need to disk, you can drill in the clover or you can frost seed it. Generally, planting into dirt is best. One more tip, I always go +50% to +100% the recommended clover seed. So if they say 5lbs an acre, I'm planting 10. I get much better results that way.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone! I’m probably going to make this a brassica plot. I’ll nuke it this weekend and disc, plant in two weeks.

Date:28-Jul-22

So I’m debating between a no till brassica plot in the clover I sprayed last week or discing it and broadcasting the brassicas. Any thoughts?

By: MQQSE

We are in the process of getting four brassica plots ready now. Our process was to first mow the plot into shape and then kill the area shortly thereafter. Then I used my tractor’s tiller to mulch up the duff and roots as these areas are new plots. My son then used a chain harrow to clean up and smooth the area over. This part isn’t necessary, but it sure made a difference. We are now waiting for rain in the forecast in early August. Once we have the right forecast we will broadcast seed and then use a cultipacker for better seed to soil contact. Don’t seed brassicas too heavily as they don’t like crowding.

Don’t forget fertilizer, lime, soil test and urea for long term success. Good luck!

By: MQQSE

MQQSE's embedded Photo

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.