Kydeer1 10-Mar-22
c5ken 15-Mar-22
KHNC 15-Mar-22
Pat Lefemine 15-Mar-22
c5ken 15-Mar-22

By: c5ken
Date:09-Mar-22

c5ken's MOBILE embedded Photo

My 3ac clover plot is several years old & is taken over with weeds. I have a tractor, two bottom plow, disk & landscape rake. Do not have a planter. I want to tune the plot under in the spring & replant. I'd like to plant a mixture of different plants. I have a ton of deer in my area... corn & beens get mowed down before they mature. I've had luck with clover. Can anyone give me advise regarding a good deer feed mixture? I live in SE Michigan..

Oops... thats beans not Beens Forgot to mentation, for planting, I have a spin feeder that I run off the back of an ATV to broadcast seeds....

Your soil test is 2 years old, my first suggestion is to get a new soil test. If it’s still the same then thank the good lord because you don’t need N and that’s crazy expensive now.

I’d still plant beans but would put them behind an efence. The $ you save on fertilizer will fund your fence for a 3 acre field. If the deer hammer your beans and corn they will likely hammer everything else except brassicas.

Date:10-Mar-22

Whitetail institute power plant, highly recommended

You are low on potassium. I’d spray. Wait 10 days. Broadcast clover and chicory mix. Don’t till. Apply potash. Lime if you can. Then in fall overseed with cereal grains right before you mow.

What Bullbuster said but add Birdsfoot trefoil to the clover and chicory...

hes-right-you-know-morgan-freeman

If it were me I'd get an updated soil test but if it's like that then I'd plant some buckwheat as a spring smother crop. At the same time I'd put out maybe 600 lbs lime. Then in the fall I'd do a split field of brassica/clover and oats/peas/beans and throw out some urea a few weeks after and call it good.

Date:15-Mar-22

I think I'll go with Clover & Chicory. Should I replant in the spring or wait until August to replant??

By: KHNC

IF its too late to frost seed in your area, plant buck wheat mid spring and then clover chicory in early sept or late august.

Agree, or you can just keep spraying herbicide throughout the summer to kill off the spring/summer perennial weeds and then plant clover/chicory along with a cover crop like Oats in the fall. That's generally what I have done. I have not really seen a benefit to the buckwheat. I know it's popular, and I tried it, but I prefer to nuke the perennial weeds for 8 weeks. I found that to be superior to growing a summer plot that you have to pay for, fertilize, and then kill off a few weeks later.

Thanks again for the info. I still have some clover growing in my weedy plot so I think I'll let it grow (deer are still feeding in my plot) & turn it under in July, disk & rake.. I'll let the new weeds get up a few inches & hit the plot with Round-up. I'll let it sit for several weeks & then replant with Clover & Chicory. I also plan to lime the field soon. When I replant, I'll also spread 0-0-62. Do you think this will work??

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.