goyt 21-Aug-21
Nickname Mudd Flap! 08-Oct-23
Nickname Mudd Flap! 08-Oct-23
Nickname Mudd Flap! 09-Oct-23
270sniper 09-Oct-23
Nickname Mudd Flap! 09-Oct-23

By: goyt
Date:10-Aug-21

I have a Grizzly 550 ATV and Kawasaki Mule Pro and I am looking for a disc that would work well with one or both of these. Does anyone have a specific disc that they would recommend?

By: t-roy
Date:10-Aug-21

Do you own, or have access to a tractor, goyt? I see on another thread, you stated that you have several plots, including a 2 acre plot. I started out food plotting with my atv, a 4’ disc, a harrow section, and a 4’ cultipacker. It worked, but was painfully slow, and it was definitely hard on the atv. Oftentimes I would have to go over the plot several passes with the disk to get it chewed up decently. Honestly, I don’t think atvs are made for that type of continuous heavy use. I have 3 different friends that have fried the motors on their units, doing their plots.

A tractor works so much better for that type of thing. You can find a 35–50+hp tractor for $2,000-$3,000 and small implements pretty cheap, as well, at farm sales, etc. M or H Farmall, 720 JD, Ford 8N or Jubilee, or something similar to these tractors will do a good job for you.

Date:11-Aug-21

I do not presently own a tractor. The Mule Pro does have a fair amount of power but you may be right that it does not have enough to pull a disc repeatedly.

Goyt, what I found on the ATV pulled disc that I used was a lack of ability to control the depth like with a 3pt. I also used a Plotmaster 400 with my Grizzly 550 and cost several hundred in repairs as I worked it too hard and burned up some sensor. Not saying it can't be done - just that you'll have to be patient and go over things a couple of times like Troy mentioned. Good luck!

By: CraigL

CraigL's embedded Photo

This is an option if you can get a truck to your food plot and can just leave the disc there. Works as good as when its attached to my tractor but now I don't have to haul tractor 2 hours to do the food plot. You can back it up a short distance to park it off of food plot. Plus I have A/C and a radio now when I disc. :)

There are lots of great options on the market. I wouldn't go any wider than 4' with a single row of discs, and 3' if you'll have two rows of discs. My ranger 1000 has no trouble with a 4' disc with about 300# added on top of it. The new rangers have an electronic "work" mode that gears it very low like a tractor. Like others have said though, it's hard on your machine.

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo

I have a regular 2 row disc that I pull with an old truck sometimes but mostly with my Arctic Cat 700 ATV. The ATV pulls it fine as long as the ground isn't too wet or soft. My ATV has a lot of power though.

Date:12-Aug-21

Mike, I like it. How do you get the disc to different fields?

Date:12-Aug-21

My plots are all accessible from my house so it's not an issue. I have however hauled a disc on my car trailer.

Date:13-Aug-21

ILBow288's embedded Photo

goyt, i built wheels on the top side of mine. Take the cultipacker out of the 2" reciever on the back and flip it over for transport. I also built a steel tray to put logging chains in for added weight. It works great.

ILBow228, What brand is that? Thanks

Built in my garage brand. You can find an old disk online for next to nothing. Take off a few rows and start building. I am by no means a welder but it really wasn't too bad. The cultipacker attachment is from black boar implements, and was around $350.

Thanks. Nice job!

By: Redman

Redman's embedded Photo

The Kasco drill will exceed your expectations. I have a large one that I use with my tractor on a 3 pt but my small one for the ATV is much more versatile and easy to use.

Date:20-Aug-21

Tuffline ATV disc

Date:20-Aug-21

All in one - not a no-till drill

Date:21-Aug-21

Thanks for the ideas. Redman, that seeder looks great.

Date:08-Oct-23

Nickname Mudd Flap!'s embedded Photo

Date:08-Oct-23

Date:09-Oct-23

70 lbs of weight is easier on pulling with atv/utv ,can always add more weight or less ,mounting the brackets to center of 33" disk plow,a 5 gal bucket and bag of $5.00 sackcrete and piece of 1 inch ID pipe and silicone to attach pipe to bucket is a inexpensive way to make your own weights.

I have a Tarter ATV Disc and works great with my honda atv and Polaris SxS.

Have pulled it with a 18 hp garden tractor with chains on,but the mower deck acted like a dozer blade,could not get it raise deck high enough.to clear the tilled windrows untill l removed deck.will work for a garden,seed cultipacker,and down pressure on tractor 3 point hitch.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.