blue spot 18-Jul-21
LKH 19-Jul-21
Pat Lefemine 19-Jul-21
Habitat 19-Jul-21
Whitetailn44 23-Jul-21
RIT 23-Jul-21
RIT 23-Jul-21

Date:17-Jul-21

Here in Indiana we have been getting quite a bit of rain, limiting my access to a plot that I intend to terminate. It is 5 year old clover plot and since I haven't been able to mow the Smartweed has taken it over. At 1' tall I think I need to mow it and let it set a few days before spraying. In your experience, how soon can I spray after mowing to get a good kill? Thanks-Mike

Let it grow back 10 days to 2 weeks for best results

if everything is green why are you worried about mowing it ? the more green foliage you have the more surface area you have to absorb/take up the chemical. Mowing is the last thing I would do to that if you were hiring me to kill it Erik

By: LKH

I'm with spray, give it a couple days for the chem to get down and then mow.

Send us the rain.

I’d spray it without the mowing. I’d use Liberty or the generic Interline over glyphosate too, it’ll smoke everything where as there are a ton of weeds gly resistant.

By: t-roy

I’d listen to blue spot. He knows a thing or two about this stuff.

Also agree with Schmitty about the glyphosate resistant weeds. Unfortunately, Liberty is really hard to come by right now.

Date:18-Jul-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

This plot was a mess. I planted it on Memorial Day in NY and then went to Ohio until July 4th weekend. In that time the plot was overtaken by pigweed.

When I returned I thought about mowing it down but decided to spray a 3% solution of Glyfosate instead.

Glad I did, the roundup ready beans are ok and the plot is damn near weed free.

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

Ten days later. Same plot. Weed free. Glad I didn’t mow.

I appreciate the feedback gentlemen. With a few days of dry, sunny weather coming up this week I will spray Monday or Tuesday. Your input saves me quite a bit of time!

Pat, WOW ! I know that is how round up resistant plants work but what a great image of color by number ! Agg applications are not my expertise but it sure looks textbook to me.

I am surprised by two things. You didn't have any stragglers in the understory survive. Usually when I am treating dense growth the overtopping plants will shield the ones in the understory. Maybe the trail cam picture of you spraying makes the weeds look denser than they really are/were. Second, I am surprised the ones you crushed running them over with the wheeler didn't re-sprout. Typically damaged plants will not take up the chemical and then just re-sprout a few days or a week later. easy to see where the machine traveled.

My pesticide dealer has some pictures of growth in a clear cut that wasn't killed due o being run over by the skidder mounted spray rig.

By: LKH
Date:19-Jul-21

I've got a 36 acre field of RR alfalfa we finally got planted this spring after 3 years of just too wet to get into in the spring. Had done hay barley, then forage wheat, then a fallow year. Weeds were bad but they harrowed it, broadcast spread the seed and rolled. After we got about 3" of rain over a month, .75 the night they planted.

The weeds came up bad it got sprayed when the alfalfa was bout 6" tall. Right now it varies from 10 to 15" which is pretty good considering we are in a scorching drought.

I ended up walking the sprayer tracks with a backpack sprayed. When the sprayed breaks the surface of the field, even though they are putting spray down, it's like they plant weeds in their trail.

Those of you with too much rain can send any you don't need west. Lots of cattle will be sold and calves will be light if they can even carry them to shipping.

And our area is not nearly as bad as some.

Blue spot, there’s a few areas of stragglers and misses but my sprayer has a 20’ arc and I sprayed as if it had a 8’ arc so I was getting significant overlap with a 3% solution because I needed extreme measures to salvage my beans. The problem I have now is my beans were choked out pretty bad and they are where they should have been one month ago. The deer are hammering the stressed plants too and that doesn’t help. Too late to put up a fence so I’m just hoping there’s enough there to get ahead of the browsing. We also got 20” of rain this month which is far more than ideal. We’ll see how it turns out in a month.

But this is the reason I only plant RR corn and beans.

You can mix gly with the interline if you need to kill grass also

Date:23-Jul-21

Pat, you could always broadcast some turnip radish rape blend into your existing beams to add some variety an tonnage.

By: RIT

Interline will kill RR beans.

By: RIT

I have alluded to interline in the past but read the label I have sprayed it and it kills shit dead. That said I do believe it had an affect on germination. I am 20 days away from spraying for fall plots. I will not be spraying interline. I no till drilled a 13 way mix and it looks fantastic into interline sprayed winter grain. But I still think germination is off. I am going to mow it August 1st and spray it with glyphosate and on August 13th then no till my fall mix on half the plot followed with half the plot in a durana clover winter rye throw and mow mix.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.