c5ken 03-Mar-21
t-roy 03-Mar-21
c5ken 03-Mar-21
craigmcalvey 03-Mar-21
t-roy 03-Mar-21
Osceola 04-Mar-21

By: c5ken
Date:03-Mar-21

Should I frost seed when snow is still on the ground or wait until the snow has melted?

By: t-roy

Depends on several factors, IMO. How deep is the snow? Crusted over? If there’s just a little bit of it, and you have some melting days coming, I’d say go for it. If you will have quite a bit of runoff from the melting, I’d say wait so you don’t lose as much seed from snowmelt washing it away.

By: c5ken

Te snow is about 8/10" deep. Some warm days are coming the next several days. (40/60*) could get run-off. So, based on coming warm weather should I wait until the snow is gone?

Here in mid Michigan I am planning on frost seeding clover and some switchgrass this week. Still some crusted snow in spots but with 10-14 days of daytime temps in the 40s and nights in the 20s it’s a perfect time.

By: t-roy

c5ken.....I’d suggest waiting until the snow is gone, then. You will most likely still get plenty of freeze/thaw cycles to help work your seed into the soil, plus you won’t chance losing much seed to runoff.

Date:04-Mar-21

For the reasons mentioned above, I think it is a best practice to wait until the snow is melted.

As a general rule, you want a minimum of 5-6 days where the temps go above freezing in the day and then below freezing at night to get good soil to seed contact.

I believe it is best to frost seed early in the morning when the ground is still frozen. If you wait till later in the day, the ground can become muddy. That mud will build up on your shoes, and you will be amazed at all the seed that sticks to your muddy shoes.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.