happygolucky 01-Jul-20
35-Acre 01-Jul-20
Hunt98 01-Jul-20
altitude sick 07-Dec-20
Sand man 07-Dec-20
Pat Lefemine 07-Dec-20

By: Hunt98
Date:01-Jul-20

I have a rectangular shaped hay field less then an acre) that I want to convert to a food plot. It runs north and south. Trees surround the field so it does get full sun.

What would you suggest on planting on a first year food plot that does not get full sun?

summer plot or winter plot?

where are you located ?

Have you done a soil sample test?

Given the timing, I am assuming this will be a fall plot and that any soil amendments would not be done save for maybe some fertilizer. I would recommend a combination including an annual clover, oats, and winter rye. This is part of the late Paul Knox's Lickcreek fall mix but it excludes AWP and radishes as I could not recommend those without knowing if the soil could handle it. The winter rye will come back next spring to help hold weeds at bay.

35-Acre's embedded Photo

My best year was my first year because the deer weren't in there eating everything as soon as it germinated. But there is a right way to do everything and then there is.... how I did it (which was awesome too). The eventual goal was ot have that magazine-quality plot - what a dumb idea! But I didn't know it at the time.

At this point, over the years, I feel like I've tried so many different seeds all using T&M (I don't have heavy equipment). Aliske Clover, Barley, Brassica, Buckwehat, Crimson Clover, Egyptian Wheat, Oats, Purple Top Turnips, Rye, Winter Wheat and that list goes on and on.

So, my first year I didn't do a soil test and I didn't have much knowledge on any of this. I started with some store-bought "deer seed" with a similar mix to what you mentioned from a big name company for under $100 and went after it. At the time, I knew enough to mix lime and some general purpose fertilizer into the soil when I planted, so I had bought 10-10-10, pelletized lawn lime and a drag harrow rake for my ATV. I even just threw the seed by hand - I mean how hard can it be??

I laid out my "field" like a small gardener, making places where I would plant certain things - clovers and oats and so on. My Purple Top Turnips (PPT) came in AWESOME! They were on top of the soil and the size of softballs! The deer eventually came in and hammered them once the snow fell.

Then there are years worth of lessons - some I'm still not learning (maybe):

ALWAYS roll over the seed to get better seed-to-soil contact.

ALWAYS put down a general purpose fertilizer and lime when planting.

You can get seed WAY cheaper when not buying the "big name bags" from the sporting goods store.

The magazine photo is stupid! Stop trying to get that.

Plant heavy with oats, rye, etc.

Don't plant heavy with turnips and brassicas, etc.

Horse feed (rolled oats) is REALLY cheap and plants/grows really well!

By: Hunt98

To answer a few questions: Central Minnesota

No soil test... but 5.5 ph in other plots that I have

Mid fall to early winter season

Date:07-Dec-20

If it’s already a true hay field. What about planting alfalfa and have someone local pay you to come take it off and bale it. Which keeps the plant tender.

This will only work if someone is taking hay or alfalfa near by already.

They may even plant it for you. An acre isn’t much. But 2-4 cuttings per season will add up. if someone is already haying next door they may be interested. You get good deer feed and make a few bucks.

I established sparse clover in an area like you described by frost seeding. Once the clover got about 4” tall I went in with a weed eater and cut all the grass down to the top of the clover. This provided great thatch to retain moisture. I then sprayed with a select grass killer. This left some bare spots, I then broadcast purple top turn ups and radish seed. I’ll be frost-overseeding again in late February/early March and will be using 50/50 clover and alfalfa. It has worked out pretty well thus far. I fertilized using 10-10-10, all though the clover did not need the phosphorus. I also took a weed eater to it once everything reached around 8”. I cut it all to about 6” (removed top 1/3) and than sprayed a light dose of glyphosate to nock down the weeds. Not the cleanest nor the picture perfect plot but the deer sure use it. This year I’ll be broadcasting cereal rye into (mid October when rain is forecast) the plot.

Good luck in whatever direction you choose to go.

Dream big. Aim small. Miss small.

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

What did you end up going with?

I converted three pastures in Ohio to food plots. One was 8 acres of pasture that I converted to Hancock Killer Clover. It's a 10. The other was a two acre pasture that I converted to a Durana Clover field. Durana is very slow growing but it's looking good and I think it will be terrific. The last is a 1 acre powerline that I planted Oasis Chicory and AberLasting Clover. That came up fantastic as well.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.