By: Don
Date:03-Apr-20

Don's MOBILE embedded Photo

She is on his immediate right.

what a spectacular bird

By: JohnMC

Cool picture! Who would shoot a beard hen? I had an opportunity before and did not. Not because I am against it. I just prefered to put the tag on a Tom.

Legal target here but not for me, no desire to kill one.

A LOT more meat on that tom! Cool pic!

Ive had a handful of opportunities to shoot bearded hens but have always passed. The 2nd gobbler i killed last year was following the longest bearded hen ive ever seen.

Absolutely Beautiful

By: MQQSE

I always see several every spring on my farm. Must be a genetic uniqueness that we have. I’ve taken one for a mount we were working on. I’ll see if I can find it.

I see bearded hens regularly around home.

MQQSE's embedded Photo

By: t-roy

I’ve seen lots of them, but haven’t ever shot one. They are not common, but not really rare either. Supposedly, 10-20% of hens have beards.

Hawkeye's embedded Photo

Great pic! Here are three bearded ladies I got this past January. Cool to see:)

By: JohnMC

In southeast Oklahoma were I grew up it a lot high that 20~30% for bearded ladies but not sure about hen turkeys

Lol...perfect !!

Date:04-Apr-20

MQQSE, that's one of the coolest turk mounts I've ever seen.

Thanks Nick. It was the project that kept growing and growing for my taxidermist. The detail is hard to see in the photo all the way down to the morel mushrooms and may apples. In the end it’s now one of those pieces you just stop and stare at for a long time and each aspect brings back memories of many springs gone by over the last 40 years in the turkey woods.

Interesting stuff. I have never seen a bearded hen or a tom with more than one beard. I will keep looking for sure. my best, Paul

GREAT photo!!!

Bearded hens arent very rare around here either. I will be surprised if I dont see at least 1 in the first couple days of season. Their beards are usually thin but fairly long.

Pretty rare to see bearded hens at my spot in Northern Illinois. Maybe I am weird but a bearded hen is on my wish list just because it's something different. Almost like a drop tine buck. Well, maybe that's a stretch....LOL

Date:05-Apr-20

We used to shoot hens in the fall while deer hunting, and I killed one that I didn’t even know had a beard until I picked her up. We get four tags in Texas and always had lots of hens in the fall, so I usually killed two hens in the fall and saved two tags for spring. Bearded hens were fairly rare where my lease was in Central Texas.

Beautiful pic, Don.

In my area, bearded hens aren't too common, but mature toms with no spurs is prevalent. About half the Merriam toms I've killed have had no spurs. All were mature 20-plus pound birds with long beards and full fans.

Matt

^^^^ I once saw 18 hens parade across an oat field with one tom following. This was fall and I was deer hunting. Hens are not supposed to be with toms. He looked like a tom, but he kept calling like a hen. When they got close enough for me to see him well with 9X binos I saw that he had no spurs. Gender confused ?

ahunter76's embedded Photo

Hen with everything but a Beard.

By: Pop-r

I bet she's got a gobbler though!

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.