Missouribreaks 24-Dec-20
Ricky The Cabel Guy 24-Dec-20
Missouribreaks 24-Dec-20
Ricky The Cabel Guy 24-Dec-20
Bou'bound 24-Dec-20
Rupe 25-Dec-20

By: JSW
Date:02-Dec-19

I would like to throw out a hypothetical situation and get some opinions on whether it’s an ethical issue, completely acceptable or somewhere in between. How would the majority of you handle this?

I have a guy who has let me do some hunting on his property for a number of years. He is a hard core deer hunter so he doesn’t let me hunt deer. Just things that don’t conflict with the deer season. I was able to get permission to hunt the property right next to his but this property holds no deer and only has a few trees. It’s legal to bait so I could throw out a pile of corn and lure the deer off of his property and probably have a chance at a good buck. The bait pile and stand will only be a few yards off of his fence line since that’s the only place that has any trees. Even then, there are only a few trees. If it weren’t for the bait pile, deer would rarely be on the property that I can legally hunt.

If I shoot a deer it will likely go back onto his property before it dies.

How many of you would be okay hunting like this?

From the sounds of it, you are answering your own question. Find another spot.

You know what’s right. Come on man.

Not in any way would I find that to be an acceptable situation.

By: Ambush

JSW, you only have to ask yourself, "WWSD". (what would sitO do)

Sounds like a good way to piss him off, and never recover your deer unless you can guarantee a spine shot.....

Now why can't you set up a ground blind further away( a few hundred yards) and do a bait line from the property boundary to your set up?

By: ryanrc

You know the answer to this question, but for anybody who doesn't....they would be a giant dbag if they did that.

By: JohnMC

Why don't you ask him his opinion on it. If he is cool with it then consider it. If you get anything less 100% body language and all don't do it.

By: t-roy

Put me down for 1 “never”.

Only if I wanted to loose a place to hunt and not sleep well at night. Sad part is, there are many people who would do this and consider it ethical.

He must not be a good friend for you to even consider it.

Setting up on property lines is lame.. period!

By: JL

Hypothetically speaking of course.....why can't you put up an elevated blind or tripod stand somewhere other than the property line? I would not knowingly set up on someone else's property line unless they gave their blessing. Also...I suppose everyone has their own definition of "setting up on a property line". That is within 50 yards of the line, within 100 yards, 150 yards, etc.

By: GF

“Sad part is, there are many people who would do this and consider it ethical.”

If that’s the case, maybe they need a vocabulary lesson?

Simplest definition, “Ethical” means you’d be just as happy if the shoe were on the other foot.

So if you were allowing someone to hunt your property except for deer, how would you like to find out he was baiting the place next door?

Of course, the deer do not belong to him, so he should maybe wonder how his neighbors feel about him harboring an unusual number of deer on HIS place if those deer are feeding on THEIRS.... but that’s not necessarily the case here..

By: Marty

No way ever..

Let's take it one step further. How about if the owner of the new property gave the OP the permission to work up a couple acres of land in vicinity of the same trees and fence line and plant a food plot? Ethical now?

This is a situation that is legal, but IMO is not ethical.

Only if I cared nothing about relationships, and killing a big buck trumped everything else including my reputation and character.

Doing what you’re asking about would put you in company you probably wouldn’t want to associate with.

-Mitch

Sounds like you spun the question and he (someone) is doing that to you and the land you hunt.

^^^ Ahhh, the man from Oklahomo might be onto something.

But what if I think this is my best chance, by far, to get a big buck?

The amazing part of this hypothetical is that the hard core deer hunting land owner would let someone rove through the deer woods, altering animal patterns and spreading human presence, but would forbid his friend from hunting deer on that very property. If I had a friend like that he wouldn't be my friend anymore.

The answer is yes I can hunt his property or no I can't, not "you can come to out house for thanksgiving but you can't eat anything."

Let me just say that I have never seen more poor sportsmanship in anything outdoors than when guys get caught up in trophy deer hunting. Don't let yourself get caught up in that racket.

Weird scenarios like this between hard core landowner/hunters start feuds that last for years.

It's not BS. I really want to know how the majority of bowhunters would deal with this. Remember, I started by stating that this is hypothetical. After I hear from a significant number of bowsiters I will expand on this.

Nope

Elite, that is a good point. If the person was totally opposed to hunting and didn't want "his" deer to be harmed, would it make a difference? I think it would in my mind. That requires some pondering.

Redquebec, let me clarify. The guy lets a few people hunt turkeys in the spring and coyotes after the deer hunt is over.

By: RK

I'm sure you will do the right thing

Oh, I missed that it's hypothetical, sorry.

I wouldn't do it here in kentucky because that would start a feud. You want your truck tires slashed and a 2 liter of coke poured into the gas tank...go for it.

I know many places like West Virginia, Upstate New York, Appalachian mountain KY and Virginia where an act like that would definitely start a battle.

NOOOO WAAAY! I'm out there to recreate, see nature and disconnect, not start a war.

“But what if I think this is my best chance, by far, to get a big buck?”

I’ve seen some pics of your trophy room, JSW! This is purely hypothetical;-)

First off, all you guys assuming Jim is doing this and chastising him for it - come on now. Read the OP: "hypothetical"

So that tells me this is either being done to him or someone he knows, not him doing it to someone else. Or he has a similar situation that he sees and is polling people to see if he's crazy in thinking that it's not ok...

Seriously... Some folks are so quick to judge...

As far as the OP question: No, I think it's not ok because the LO has paid it forward to the person by letting them hunt the land (turkeys), has no obligation to allow anyone to hunt deer on his land, and the guy setting up on the edge of his land is sticking it to someone who did him a favor, which is not how I was raised...

And redquebec, I couldn't disagree with you more. And who says they're friends? He called him "a guy," not a friend.

Hell, even I wouldn’t do that....

Heck no, that's no way to hunt. Good way to piss people off though and not recover your deer that ran onto neighbors property.

Owning land doesn’t entitle you to the deer on that land. Just to hunt on that land. You can’t control where a deer that you shoot dies. Ethical shots help but things happen. If you like to use bait to hunt then that’s a viable method on land that you have permission on. If you want to defer to to a neighbors claim on deer because of friendship or return of favors then that’s something to consider. Personally enjoyment of the hunt is a major factor for me and a couple parts of this don’t sound enjoyable. The ethics are each individuals own and I have no problem not being judgmental of whatever legal choice someone would make.

Your right IW archer he didn't specify they were friends. The whole hypothetical thing threw me a bit.

But if you're disagreeing with me on an act like that creating bad blood, that's been my family's experience. Luckily for me personally, I've never been on either side of such a scenario.

Sounds like bad ethics to me. However, if hypothetically, the two guys have a man to man conversation about it an agreement could be reached either way.

Why not use a hypothetical food plot or water hole instead of a corn pile? Both can be more effective than a corn pile.

P&Y Club fair chase rules state if its legal in the state its ok for entry. What an individual does after that is on them.

Much of whitetail hunting is people management in addition to deer mgt.

I wouldn’t do it. No way does a dang deer or any animal mean that much to me. But, I’m also a little concerned over some of the responses.

In this situation it is cut and dry why I feel it shouldn’t be done. Only place to setup, he doesn’t want you deer hunting his land so he will likely see it for what it is, etc... However, if the line is the boundary, what is considered the boundary? His side, the side you’d be hunting, or a given distance from the line.

Seems most here have a problem with line setting. I would too in this instance. But, why does anyone else control where you set if you aren’t on their property? See my point? If it’s the only place to hunt the adjoining property, why does the other guy get so much preference over where it’s ethical to set? What’s the magical distance where it becomes acceptable. ?

I guess the best way to say it is does it matter the distance one sets from the line if their intent is to kill deer that the other person has feed, built habitat for, and planned on killing them selves?

By: Duke

Unethical to even pose the question.

Since this is a hypothetical,I would not bait whitetails,and TRY NOT to hunt close to property lines but do as long as the line is free of others stands

So here's the rest of the story. As a few figured out, this happened to me. I heard that the guy was going to be deer hunting this year on he property next to mine. I walked in and saw a huge pile of corn 13 yards from my fence and a tree stand just a little farther. Like I stated above, deer do not live on that property and there are only a few trees on it. When I saw it I thought to myself, "well that's a chicken shit thing to do". Later I found out that the guy had killed a deer there and when I went and looked, I found that the deer had died about 40 yards into my property and he drug it out without asking if he could. When I called him on it, he said he assumed since he had permission to hunt spring turkey that he had permission to retrieve his deer. The whole thing really pissed me off. The vast majority of bowsiters thought the whole scenario was wrong. A few talked like if it's legal, it's just part of the deal. I brought this up because the guy couldn't understand why I was bothered by it. I just wanted to know what most people would do in this situation. There is really nothing I can do about it but I don't think I would have done the same thing. I'm going to post another scenario similar but different that happened this year as well. I'm interested to see what you think of that one. Thanks for the responses. Feel free to continue the discussion now that your know how it ended.

Hard “No” for me. You gotta have some common sense and courtesy in the situation. Thanks for sharing, Jim. Well done.

By: sitO

That guy's no hunter, and he just lost a good Turkey spot

In Iowa, it’s legal to cross onto another’s private property to track and/or retrieve a wounded animal without having to get permission from the property owner. It’s common courtesy to do so, but not mandatory. They cannot possess a weapon when doing so. I have no problem with them being able to do so, however, I think it’s a total crock that they don’t even have to attempt to get in contact with the landowner first, and I think the landowner should be able to dictate when they should be able to try to retrieve the animal (Within reason).

Don’t blame you at all for being pissed, JSW. Pretty dick move on the guy’s part, IMO.

The most revealing part of the story is that the corn pile guy didn't understand why the land owner was bothered by it. I think it's good that you both had a conversation about it, regardless.

By: APauls
Date:03-Dec-19

Wow. Just wow.

All I know is that JSW's recent article in Bowhunter Magazine on the monster buck he got last year was as good a story on a deer pursuit as one will ever read Excellent job on putting that down in words and getting it done in the field. brute persistence got a brute buck. well done and deserved

I've said it a thousand times. Legality is the first rung on the ethical ladder. A large number of hunters never get beyond the first step, and some don't even try.

As hunters, we're often more about 'whatever it takes to succeed at our goals' and many times that involves pushing the limits of ethical behaviors toward neighbors, other hunters, and even our quarry.

As for the scenario described above, my personal ethics would prevent me from baiting (or plotting for that matter) to deliberately pull deer off the neighbor. There are some NJ guys leasing land next to my farm currently and their entire hunting strategy is based around spin-feeders and corn piles near neighboring land. 4-wheelers with sacks of corn on back and they look like they're running a feedlot for deer somewhere. But hey...it's the rut or gun season. They drove hours to get here. They just HAVE to get that big Ohio buck if at all possible. And I'm pretty sure they won't be hesitating to cross a boundary (quietly but still illegal) if a shot deer heads to the next farm.

I wouldn't do it but I wouldn't get upset if it was my land and someone set up next to me....bait or no bait. Being a landowner, I would expect things like that. Just like when I hunt public land, I expect to have hunts spoiled by others. Everyone wants to hunt and access is tough these days.

Since he knew you and you were gracious enough to let him turkey and coyote hunt there, he should have, at the very least, spoken to you about his plans. Illegal trespassing to retrieve the deer was totally unacceptable.

Jim, if he had told you his plans first, what would you have said to him?

Personally, I would feel a little icky hunting right on a property line. I guess there is always different circumstances though. I think I would feel fine about shoot a deer right before it leaves my place, but would feel like a cheat if I shot one as soon as it came onto my place. I don't know why that makes a difference to me but I think it does.

It would also make a difference knowing if the neighbor liked to hunt or not. If I knew for a fact that the neighbor had zero interest in the deer or hunting I would probably be ok with sitting near the line. If I knew he was a die hard habitat guy, hunter, and enthusiast I would feel guilty as hell sitting on his fence.

By: dmann

Of course trespassing is wrong, and I don’t agree with it, but sounds like you’re mad at the guy for hunting legally on property he has permission to hunt. Might be annoying but not wrong. Definitely should have asked permission to retrieve though. (Personally i probably wouldn’t have done that btw)

That would be like seeing someone fishing a small cove and then driving your boat right in front of him and in the same direction he was fishing so you cover the area before he does...Really ticks me off when people do that...

Personally, I would feel a little icky hunting right on a property line. I guess there is always different circumstances though. I think I would feel fine about shoot a deer right before it leaves my place, but would feel like a cheat if I shot one as soon as it came onto my place. I don't know why that makes a difference to me but I think it does.

It would also make a difference knowing if the neighbor liked to hunt or not. If I knew for a fact that the neighbor had zero interest in the deer or hunting I would probably be ok with sitting near the line. If I knew he was a die hard habitat guy, hunter, and enthusiast I would feel guilty as hell sitting on his fence.

Setting up right on a border when you know that there’s a good chance that a deer will end up across that border after its shot is wrong.......

Unless the landowner on the other side of the fence was O.K. with retrieving a deer in his property...

When the neighbors to our East started leasing their 110 acres, the hunters knew exactly where the deer came and went from and that was the property I lease and hunt. They put feeders/stands/box blinds right along our borders (on right of ways). One stand looked down one of our right of ways for at least 400 yards. The stand was in a tree no more than 5 yards form the bordering fence, facing back towards the other land, and a feeder was placed 15 yards from the stand. They went down to both fences and placed NO TRESPASSING signs facing towards us. Since they went to this trouble of placing stands/feeders and no trespass signs, I made it clear that I knew of this and placed my own NT signs pointing towards their direction. Since we had more property to hunt, I made sure I didn't entertain hunting close to them and pushing deer towards them. But, I wonder what might have been my course if I didn't have better spots and more land to hunt? Either way, I think it's tacky to post up on the borders like that, even if legal. Especially when it's clear they can (and probably have) shoot over on our side and easily retrieve a deer without us knowing it.

By: RIT

This very thing is happening to me now. This kid (I say kid but he is in his 30s). His family owns about 100 acres to the South of me but only about 10 acres of woods. I have all the cover hence all of the deer. There is about 500 yards of shared border. They have half a dozen stands facing into my thickets 10 yards from the property line. They only hunt over corn and apple piles that are 3’ from the line. They hunt all winds regardless of where it blows. I feel like it has really affected my hunting (mainly the mature buck movement). There is no doubt in my mind they recover deer in my woods without letting me know.

Technically they aren’t breaking any laws (minus shooting multiple bucks in a one buck state) but I don’t like it any. I am completely at a loss here. Every year I remove snares on my side of the fence. Three years ago I hinge cut a 10’ wide swath of trees about 90% of the border. It created a pinch point at one end and they just relocated their stands. I didn’t want to cut off the entire travel between the two properties but may need to. This isn’t about them shooting deer because that doesn’t bother me it’s about them sitting where they do and the methods in which they hunt. I’m quite sure the same guy shoots multiple bucks (small ones to boot) and uses family members to tag them. It has caused me some anxiety for sure. I have considered an actual fence. I don’t hunt anywhere near the line and it’s some of my best cover. I don’t want to risk loosing a deer over the line. I don’t want to do anything malicious but any thoughts on a solution? I am leaning towards completing sealing off the travel between the two parcels and making prime bedding along the border so they bump deer into my property every time they get into stand. At the end of the day I don’t even care about the bait I just wish they would move off the line.

I have a buddy in Michigan and his grand son went one step further he set up 16 foot 4 by 4s on the property line behind his neighbours stands that surround his property and hung orange snow fence on them lol Where I have been hunting at home I have the best bedding area and an old fruit tree orchard. Alot of deer spend time on the property. I am surrounded by stands. In fact one guy has access to a field behind me. There are 2 trees on the fence row that grew up just on the field side and he has stands in both of them. i walked the property one day and there are 9 stands all within 5 yards of my property following the property line. Funny part is I know the owners and have permission to retrieve a deer on their side I wonder if the guys hunting the other side assume it is the same for my side lol (by the way the land owners don't hunt but allow others to) Interesting thin is I have 60 acres surounded on 3 sides 4th is road. The 3 surrounding sides have 200, 250 and 100 acres and they all have to put their stands on the trails leading from my spot with pile of corn pretty sad !

I think that JohnMC has the correct answer. Talk with the neighbor first and get a read on the situation. If they are COMPLETELY cool with it and you work out all of the details prior then I would say that would be ethical. To just do it without any communication, agreement or understanding in place first would be at a minimum a dick move.

So Jim, what was the final outcome? If it were me the guy would probably lose his access to my property, reason being that while he ha permission to hunt turkeys and coyotes he didn't have permission to come on the property at other times and was therefore trespassing...adios muchacho!

Not a chance in Hell. Its just asking for trouble. Its an obvious ploy to trick 'his' deer off his land, he'd see it that way, and cause you endless hell.

RIT said "There is no doubt in my mind they recover deer in my woods without letting me know. " My solution would be to ELECTRIFY the fence - put a couple cows in there along the 500' border with his separated from the rest and turn the power on high. If he touches your cows in retaliation, then you got him by the groin, press charges. Ordinarily I wouldn't cave to this type of 'warfare', but he already started the dang war by trespassing and stealing from your land.

To the OP, JSW; I find that behavior highly unethical and would encourage you to not let him hunt or trespass in any matter until he changes his ways. You can't do anything about him baiting unless there are rules of distance to the nearest property line. I personally do not trespass on anyones land without permission even if they are family and have given me permission to go anytime I want, I still ask every time if it's okay before I go onto their land.

As far as RIT's situation, If you suspect they are illegally taking wild game I would try to come up with proof positive and then turn them in to the game authorities.

Give your conservation officer the keys to your property with permission to enter at any time. They will respect when you are hunting. Help them do their job, it will be appreciated.

No way would I do that. If he set up 200 yds from your fence that might be different.

I have dealt with the same issues. I have a guy right over the fence with a feeder set up. I have the timber he has thick pasture.

I once found a stand in a tree on the fence line that was literally hanging over my property, and facing my property. No way could he shoot toward his side. I took it down and left it at the base of the tree. He took it out.

This situation was worse because I had a good relationship with the guy and I expected better. It seemed like he was sneaking around and hoping i wouldn't find out. If it had been a total stranger my reaction would have been different. The land was leased to another person previously and that guy hunted the same tree. He didn't throw out a massive corn pile in front of the stand so my reaction was also different. To be honest, I'm completely disgusted with corn pile hunting and have pushed to get it banned in Kansas. Even the local farmers are disgusted with it. That's a topic for another discussion. I have informed the guy that he is not to set foot on my property for any reason, even to retrieve a wounded animal. We'll have to see how that works out.

By: JM

I think I will play devils advocate.

It is nice to have this perspective when you have a great piece of ground that has bottle necks, food sources, and plenty of deer.

How do you look at it when your only opportunity to hunt is on a marginal ground that is short of food and cover? how do you hunt?

John

John, You probably hunt the property in a way that gives you the best chance at being successful. That's what this guy did. I'm more upset with the way he went about it.

By: Hh76

JM, good idea looking at it from another angle. I don't agree with this exact situation, and certainly not the "trespassing", but it can be a fine line.

I don't own hunting land, but I've been thinking about buying, so I pay attention. I hear a lot about how people sculpt their property into "whitetail heaven", by planting, cutting, etc. You could say that this is what that hunter was doing? He set up a stand in the best location available, and he provided a food source to attract deer. Isn't that the private land formula? Sure, it sounds like this hunter may have chosen the wrong property to start with, and his food source was questionable, but maybe he doesn't know any better, or has no other options?

I understand the friend aspect, I would expect a friend to say hey John I am going to lease the ground next to you and and discuss how to handle the property boundary issue.

John

JSW,

I've ended relationships for far less than what that jackass did. Totally unacceptable in my book.

Matt

We should also think very carefully before we advocate banning someone else's legal hunting hunting method, its a very slippery slope.

John

Alot of states he doesn't have to let you get the deer if it goes on his property and that instance would probably be when I wouldn't let someone do it either

Amen John!!!

I'm with you Jim, sitting over a pile of sustenance has zero to do with hunting... ZERO! There's good reason it's not allowed on any KS state owned land or WIHA...needs to go away.

By: GF

“We should also think very carefully before we advocate banning someone else's legal hunting hunting method, its a very slippery slope.”

Not so much when there is good science behind it.

Fence-sitting..... Hooo-boy! How much uglier does it get?

Per my last post....

If you’re raising crops to make a living and the guy next door creates a whole bunch of bedding/cover area to hold deer that feed on your paycheck... that’s a pretty crappy neighbor.

But that shouldn’t be an insurmountable issue...

John, Banning someone's legal hunting method is a slippery slope? I don't see it that way. In most states if you get caught baiting deer you lose your hunting privileges for a number of years. Why is it criminal behavior in one area and my legal right in another?

As hunters we only exist as long as public perception is neutral to positive about how we do things. When you walk onto a property and see a pile of corn the size of he average bedroom do you have a positive or negative reaction to that. How do you think the average farmer sees it? How do you think the average non hunter sees it? I've heard from farmers who are disgusted with it. The only way we survive is if we maintain a positive image among the non hunting public. Some things are socially acceptable and some things are not. 100 years ago you could buy opium and cocaine over the counter. Society decided that was not a good thing and took away the rights of the pharmacist to sell those things and the public to purchase them.

I think it's way more important to police ourselves and stand up when we see something that is bad for our image. Many things that were legal have been stopped because it was the ethical thing to do. Think about how the average Joe sees things, not what makes it easier to kill a deer.

Banning an ugly and questionable practice is not a slippery slope. It is a matter of survival. There are many things that are legal in some areas that will hurt us if we don't pay attention.

Date:04-Dec-19

Now come on, JSW, if KS banned baiting, where would Pat and his army of quiver-lickers go to kill big bucks? ;-)

Well stated, my friend.

Matt

You are entitled to your personal ethics on Kansas baiting. Is this P&Y Clubs position?

What about Texas, Oklahoma and the other states that allow baiting? Are they next on the list or will banning baiting in Kansas be enough?

This is a slippery slope as John points out. Trojan horse. Divide and conquer from within. The antis need only sit back and relax.

JSW..... I think a fair compromise is to limit the amount of bait that is used in states where it is legal..... Here in Michigan’s U.P.,, The limit is 2 gallons. That in my opinion... is not offensive like the truckloads of bait that used to be legal in the 70s and 80’s.....

And if you’re going to argue about public perception.... Then you absolutely must include the image of bear baiting. You can’t tell me that the general public knows the difference between baiting for deer or bear. If someone in the general public hates one,, They hate both.......

Are you prepared to throw baiting for bears under the bus too ??

I see that you regularly hunt water for western game. Can you explain the ethical difference of hunting a water hole in a hot and arid climate where animals must come to the water.... and placing some corn on the ground and hunting over that ??

Scary to think we should conform to look better to the public. In all honesty, I've known and met way more people who think bowhunters wound, cripple, and loose deer at a much higher rate than rifle hunters, than people who think bowhunting inflects a quick and humane death. The whole pic of a deer with an arrow sticking out of it's back standing in someone's backyard bird feeder has a pretty negative affect. If we cater to the average Joe it won't be long before bowhunting is the thing getting banned. Just my opinion, but I think we should be fighting for each other and not against each other (even when we don't exactly agree on a personal level). Certainly shouldn't be catering to what someone who's never been hunting finds unappealing.

JSW, these are the unintended consequences of going public with a big buck. I’ve seen a number of good people lose leases and handshake permission deals when a big buck was taken and money got dangled in front of the landowners. Big deer bring out the worst in people. I’m sorry this happened to you but sadly, I’m not surprised.

I have permission to hunt a 40 that is a 20 wide by an 80 deep and runs east and west. Depending where I hunt, there is a good chance that the deer I shoot will end up on the neighbors property. And it's hard to not be set up close to the property line. I'd say half the deer I've shot have died on the neighbors. Not sure if this is unethical or not, but I think I'm good.

JSW, are talking about banning baiting or just baiting for deer?

Like say, five yards from your private property that's set up to attract deer?

P&Y is not currently addressing this issue. What is stated in this post is my personal feelings as a bowhunter. Just like everyone else on bowsite. I realize that being President of P&Y makes it harder for me to voice unpopular opinions, especially when it's not a P&Y issue.

I'm sick of the "fighting amongst ourselves excuse". We routinely draw lines in the sand on what we will accept as fair chase. Was it divisive to ban spotlighting? High fence hunting? The poison bod? Shooting from a boat or moving vehicle? Things are either acceptable or they are not. When the majority of states say baiting is illegal, maybe we need to take a closer look. I entered this arena 6 years ago and spend the majority of my non hunting time researching and addressing issues that affect our heritage. If you don't think public perception is one of our biggest issues, then you aren't paying attention. As Fred Bear always said, "if you are not working to protect hunting or you are working to destroy it." I think this practice is harmful.

JSW - SPOT ON! There is some bad stuff out there damaging hunters everywhere. Sadly, most don’t realize it.

That was a political way to avoid my question about hunting over a water hole..... and bear baiting.

Also...... You said that your organization is not currently addressing the issue. Does your organization accept deer into your record books that were killed over bait ???

I am not opposed to baiting bears or other large predators. I recognize that our large predator populations are out of control and we need to take drastic measures to decrease those populations. I have been on a baited bear hunt. It is likely that I will do it again some day even though I think hunting them on the ground, face to face is considerably more enjoyable. We need to bait bears to effectively control the population. Banning bear baiting takes away hunting opportunities and makes it harder to manage them. No one can say that banning baiting for deer will significantly reduce the ability to manage the population. Apples and oranges.

Alberta does not allow baiting deer. They also do not allow food plots to bait deer. Is this what you are suggesting?

And, again, are you talking about banning baiting for big game?

Well..... Now you have completely changed your argument from the ethical side of the issue.... to that of a management tool issue.......

Do you think the general non hunting public sees that difference ??? Do you think those non hunters think that bear baiting is acceptable because it’s needed as a management tool ??? I can’t tell you how many non hunters have made negative comments to me on hunting bears over a pile of donuts.

By: leo17

How do you feel about bear baiting? I have hunted deer with and without bait. I’m just curious why does it only seem to bother people when it comes to deer? How about chasing cats and bears with dogs? How do you feel about that? I read your story on that guy that baited right next to your fence. I think that was wrong and wouldn’t do it. Then again I, like you have access to quality ground. Maybe if I didn’t have good quality ground to hunt my opinion may be different. I would not have done what he did but in your second story you describe sitting close to a fence line. Within 5 yards. I would not do that either. I just try to give a buffer between neighbors. Now if my neighbors don’t feel the same way then I would adjust my tactics. Everyone has their own opinions on ethical issues. When it comes to baiting, if it’s legal I’d do it and the great thing about the baiting laws in Kansas is that they do not compel anyone to bait. So if you don’t like baiting or rifle hunting or hunting with dogs just don’t do it and don’t lose sleep over the guys who are legally hunting. That’s just my opinion

Water holes and food plots are not an issue. The non hunting public has no problem with them and there is no comparison. They are always there and they don't change the travel patterns or day to day movements of the animals. If I'm being honest, the general public doesn't have an issue with feeders or bait sights that you can't see. I question the ethics of all baiting but as stated above, maybe a decent compromise would be to limit the size of the bait pile. Out of sight out of mind, right. I still think baiting deer is wrong but that takes away the guttural distaste that one gets when he sees a huge pile of corn on the ground.

We try to justify what we do by making comparison to similar activities. Well this is okay so this is not really much different. By doing that, eventually you can justify just about anything. If a crossbow is alright in archery season, why not a muzzle loader? If that's alright, why not a rifle? We all draw lines in the sand. We have to or it gets out of control.

Don't hunt fencelines it's always a problem.

Water holes don’t change the travel patterns or movements of animals ?? Seriously ?? Then why do you hunt over a water hole ??? If it rains for 7 days straight..... Are the animals still coming to a water hole ??

Animals in hot arid climates MUST go to the water holes if it doesn’t rain. How about cattle tanks of water..... ??? OK to hunt over them too ??? How do you know the public doesn’t take issue with that ???

Personally.... I think hunters that don’t like baiting for deer push the issue about the public perception of the practice.... Way more than any non hunters that I have ever talked to.

Getting back on topic, hunting a fence line isn't always a problem as long as you get along with your neighbor and you have shared values. I have places where it works fine and places where it doesn't. I have plenty of neighbors who practice QDM and we get along just fine.

In contrast, I've put up 12' of chain link to keep guys from shooting across my fence where they had trimmed out the trees to do just that. The same neighbors bragged about shooting over the limit every year. I've put up no hunting signs in front of 2 round bails stacked up with a blind on top which was high enough to allow them to shoot over the trees onto my property. I've even found where they drove into my property to load up a deer that the shot on my property. I've dealt with all of this over the years. You do what you can to build mutual respect but it doesn't always work.

This all boils down to one thing and that is human nature and people's innate sense of self. Everybody wants what's good for them and will find a way to justify it.

It's like a well off guy from the Somewhere Else that buys one hundred yards along a five mile trout river. A little cabin and his little slice of fly fishing respite. But soon he starts lobbying for a bait ban on the entire river. For the good of the fish and the river of course! Then works to turn it into a fly fishing only river, again for the good of the resource. He claims he really has no problem with the town kids riding their bikes out and chucking worms and bobbers next to his fenced property line. Or the locals parking at that spot across the river for a picnic and some fishing. But really, do they have to cook a fish from THIS river?? Nothing against eating a fish, but can't they eat one from some other water?

Lots of people claim that they want to grow hunting for the good of all hunters, but they sure don't mind throwing up roadblocks if it might infringe on their experience.

I own the property so it's OK for me to set up five yards from the line. But for the poor shmuck from town that will never have that, he shouldn't set up five yards on "his" (public) side of the line and utilize the means available to him? There's a word for that.

And JSW, you were the first to mention baiting in your own thread, so I believe it is on topic. Would you be on board with the Alberta model? Would you be on board to eliminate all baiting for all big game?

It is a slippery slope because what do you sacrifice next? Who is also going to use this very same argument against your hunting method?

Bows just wound animals. hunting out of a treestand or blind is not real hunting, hunting from the ground is the only real hunting. Game cameras are an unfair advantage.

It can go on endlessly.

I own land in Oklahoma and a few week s ago I heard some people talking nearby and I got out of my stand and walked over to see what was going on. I found my neighbor about 20 yards from my fence, he had shot a deer was looking for it. His stand was located within 100 yards of my fence line and he had corn and a small throw and grow food plot. He was clearly hunting deer that were coming off my property and going over to him. What did I do? I jumped the fence and spent a couple of hours trying to help him find his deer. When we lost the trail, he decided to go get a dog to help find the deer, I told if the deer went on my land to just go ahead and cross the fence and find him. We will probably be friends and have a good relationship going forward.

I relate this story because let’s contrast that story to the story by the OP.

Hunter leases land and puts up tree stand and baits deer on his “land” in the best location. Hunter shoots deer on his land but it runs over to his neighbor’s land and dies 40 yards into the property. Hunter crosses fence to retrieve deer (should have asked permission). Neighbor finds out hunter has killed buck and retrieved it on his property. Neighbor is mad that the hunter did not ask permission to retrieve deer (rightfully so). Neighbor see’s bait pile and is mad hunter is baiting his deer. Neighbor tells hunter you cannot come on my land in the future to retrieve a deer. (This is the neighbor’s right but it is just going to waste the animal and possibly more than one).

Now when you read through all this a reasonable person may come to the conclusion that neighbor is mad that the hunter killed one of his deer and he is mad that he was baiting because he couldn’t have killed the deer without it. He wants to eliminate this possibility of the hunter killing his deer in the future by making it illegal to bait deer. So to accomplish this he just invokes the argument that non hunters don’t like baiting and therefore for the good of all hunters it should be illegal.

In reality baiting is currently a non-issue among non-hunters; there is deer corn and feeders in every small town, they don’t understand it and don’t really care. The only place I ever see it as an issue is among hunters, usually due to sanctimonious-elitists one side and Slob-jerks on the other that see no consequences in their actions.

Jim you came on here for validation of your position, I want you see both sides of the fence and not take lightly proposing to eliminate a legal hunting method, there are often unintended consequences from such actions.

John

By: Shawn

My Dad always told me ethics is what you do when nobody is watching. They have nothing to do with what others think. If whoever out there thinks it's ok and can be at peace with it than who am I to judge them. I myself would never do it and I also would never bait. I guess I am saying if you want to be an a-hole you will get what you deserve in the end and have to live with it! Shawn

Your friend should have asked and open a discussion on the subject. He did not do what a friend should do. Thus, he is no longer a friend. To complete the analysis one must also ask the "Who?" questions.

Who showed his property potential to someone with lesser opportunities?

Who in effect tempted a weaker soul to the forbidden fruit? Torture perhaps!?

Sharing and giving are elements of transcending the human condition. You feel hurt and betrayed now without realizing you helped point that dagger at your heart yourself. A good host offers a friend guest the best he has be it food, shelter, clothing, ... deer. You hurt him first. You have to look at this beyond the material consequences. This is the story of Cain and Abel repeated becasue we are unable to learn and remember it.

I once took a friend to hunt on my property and put him in a spot with less opportunities. He knew that from my own prior bragging and he did not have a good time hunting. I felt awful about what I did. I invited him again and I had to insist for him to join me. When we got there I told him to go in the excellent spot and he killed a 10 point buck I missed on before few times. Not only I helped him find the buck and drag it out, but I felt great about it. I felt redeemed of my previous mistake. Our friendship is stronger today as we share.

Excellent well thought out posts by Ambush and JM.

FTR, I am OK with Alberta banning baiting and food plots.

I have not, and never will hunt there;-)

HfW, would you be on-board with the Alberta model in your home state?

By: lawdy

The only way I would take a deer I didn’t kill is if it was roadkill and the driver that hit it didn’t want it. Owning a big set of horns you never harvested is a poor substitute for woodsmanship. It’s just a deer, put on this earth to eat, not go nuts over. I had a guy at the check-in station criticize a deer I shot. It was a doe, and I asked him if he would eat a big bull steer that just screwed a hundred cows, was chased for miles with a leg shot off and pumped full of adrenaline when you finally finished it off, or this doe shot with an arrow through the lungs as it ambled down a trail. He walked away.

The "public perception" of baiting deer as a opposed to baiting deer is a flimsy stool to speak from.

Imagine you're a non-hunting family going for a walk in the woods and you come across a pile of corn. You may be perplexed and you might even find the idea of baiting to kill a deer as not very fair once you figure it out.

On the same walk, your family comes across several barrels scattered about tethered with chains, food scraps, popcorn and doughnuts smelling like a Mcdonald's dumpster and one or two skinned beaver carcasses slowly turning in the breeze. All to kill a bear.

Which site do you think might be more offensive to that family?

Honestly Ambush I would be OK with it if all other habitat practices were still encouraged. Plotting is fun, but expensive.

You are right there HfW.

Another thing to consider when contemplating banning someone else's activities is the repercussions to yourself. If landowners/leasee's successfully got rid of baiting, the baiters would be entirely justified in lobbying to have hunting within a certain distance of a food plot; then eventually within the same distance of any ag crops. And they WOULD lobby for that!

Now before you say ".. haha, I just won't plant food on my quarter." Well your east and west neighbours with poor ground that used to bait, now just till a four wide strip along each of their borders with you and plant a plot. If the buffer zone is three hundred yards, you can't hunt your own place. But they still each have three hundred yard wide swaths that they can hunt. Think what anti's could do on smaller parcels just by planting Cabelas Whitetail attractant in all four corners of ten acres. Or they could simply dump corn along your shared borders and tell you. And please don't go "..with the intent to hunt" angle. If you know there is bait there and you hunt there you'll still have to convince a CO and a judge that you're innocent of intent.

As always, be careful what you wish for.

In all methods of hunting thier is use and abuse. A gravity box of corn is way different than 2 gallons. And yes human nature is what it is. You have a choice to hang with turds or flush them into the mound system

What I wish for Ambush is that more outdoors folks get involved in improving habitat together. I have never worked for anything else.

And if government regulations get that ridiculous, we might just ignore them. I know folks still bait where it is illegal.

Frank......... A certain rock star from Michigan was all over the media regarding the ban..... Stating that it would “Trigger” civil disobedience...... He was careful with his words not to call for civil disobedience. Kevin said there’s still bait selling in the northern Lower. I don’t see that in the southern Lower....

Are you saying that if the Government went so far as to say that you couldn’t place a bird feeder outside your house..... you would ignore it ?

My biggest problem with this whole thread is trying to figure out how a “big bull steer” can screw 100 cows? :) lol

By: lawdy

A bill has been introduced in our state that will ban all hunting within 300 yards of a dwelling. That would wipe out hunting in most areas.

No, I think bird feeders should not be used;-)

In no circumstances is this an acceptable situation and if I were the landowner where the deer were coming from I would never allow somebody on the other property to recover deer off of my property-

NEVER

"I'm sick of the "fighting amongst ourselves excuse". We routinely draw lines in the sand on what we will accept as fair chase. Was it divisive to ban spotlighting? High fence hunting? The poison bod? Shooting from a boat or moving vehicle? Things are either acceptable or they are not. When the majority of states say baiting is illegal, maybe we need to take a closer look."

I agree with Jim on this.

When you grabbed a bow for the first time what did you think of?

Chasing a wild animal, on it's terms, an ethical shot and meat for the freezer...that was my thought, maybe I'm different.

Date:05-Dec-19

I sure as hell didn’t think of 90 yard shots with a slide sight....... But that seems to be the direction that bowhunting is headed.......

I’ll strive to keep my shots at 10-15 yards.

By: Boreal

"We need to bait bears to effectively control the population. Banning bear baiting takes away hunting opportunities and makes it harder to manage them. No one can say that banning baiting for deer will significantly reduce the ability to manage the population. Apples and oranges."

Seriously?!! Do you really believe this. There's a whole other half of this country east of the big river with little tiny properties and extremely overpopulated whitetail herds.

I whole-heartedly disagree in the premises that hunting regulations should be based on either; what other states are doing, or what non-hunting public feels comfortable with. States have boundary lines, their own governments, their own wildlife management, their own laws, their own taxation, their own elections, etc for a reason. It's part of our country to allow each state it's own management. To say all states should be uniform in management is paramount to wishing to do away with the electoral college. I certainly do not want KS to adopt California's hunting laws. It just doesn't make since to me to look at it that way. And I brought public opinion up before. The vast number of non-hunting people I've talked to have a very low opinion of bowhunting. If you want to cater to public opinion you don't get to choose which opinions you like. If you are ok with outlawing bait because the public see's it as cheating, then you HAVE to be ok with outlawing bowhunting when they say it's inhumane. You can't have it both ways.

By: Shawn

Kyle we all know you are different. LMAO!! I will say again true Ethics are what you do when no one is watching. I have mine , other folks have theirs. I think I am a truly ethical hunter others may not I am. Shawn

Jason, we are both from KS. I get reactions may vary geographically across our nation based on ideology and other variables, but I have never garnered the reaction you have. I interact with literally hundreds of people 5 days a week. The reaction to my bow hunting is always the same from those who do not participate in hunting..."at least the animals have a chance."

And these same people see the difference between a bait pile or bait broadcasted as they do habitat work which is much more similar to agriculture practices than baiting. They understand the cost differential, sweat equity and the similar way the animals interact with created habitat as they do agriculture.

As with the last class of each semester, I bring in a log of venison summer sausage from I deer I harvested and crackers to share with the class. They have to hear my talk on wildlife conservation, and how it relates to business and free markets. Robin and I have taken literally scores of kids to tour the farm, and some to learn to shoot firearms for the first time (parent required to be in attendance). I know first hand dozens of young men try hunting for the first time, others thank me for being open about my support of the outdoor sports.

JMO, but our image matters tremendously in regards to our future ability to continue hunting. And for me, it's really not about the hunting any longer, it is about nature and what we leave to future generations.

I do not support government ending baiting where it has been legal and is part of tradition. I do support government encouraging LOs and sports people to be more involved, and for us to continue being more educated in the best ways to secure not only the future of hunting, but what I believe is a national treasure-our diverse wildlife and native habitat.

I think the main problem with banning bait while allowing plots intended to attract deer is that you alienate hunters that do not have land or long term leases on land. And keep in mind that there are for more in the latter category. If you did a poll, I think you'd find those for and against baiting would line up with landowners/leasee's and public land hunters. Owners against baiting and public hunters for. And then the extreme where landowners would ban bating only on public.

So baiting is banned. The guy that has land goes along his merry way, plotting and shooting deer and the world is good. The guy that doesn't have land and because of work and family only has a few days per season, weekends or maybe one week that he can take for himself. He goes and sits in a tree where he used to sometimes get a deer, but now without the five gallons of corn, he sees nothing. So guess what? he loses interest and figures fishing and golf are more fun. That means he doesn't take his kids or neighbor kids anymore either.

"Ahh, my woods are peaceful without those baiters on the public next me.", says the landowner sitting over his plot.

Sure is. And the balance of non-hunter to hunter just became more uneven. Good for you for today. Not so much for "..the future of hunting" tomorrow.

Try putting yourself in the other guys shoes and sincerely try making his case.

Spend some time over on "Deer Builder" or QDM sites. "Growing deer'"and "Holding deer" is the main focus and nearly all the practitioners are deer hunters whose intent is to kill "quality" bucks. I have no problem with that and can see the satisfaction a person can derive from their work. It really is a hobby that can grip a person, no different than many other passions.

Just don't allow your passion to kill someone else's. Again, try your feet in the other shoes and see if they are still comfortable to wear.

Ambush, OK, I ask you also try and put yourself in someone else's shoes. It is a free country. With few exceptions, anyone can go and make the necessary sacrifices to purchase land. Some have made the sacrifice, others are not willing to and come up with excuses like deer hunting is just a part time recreational activity. And these same people will just as quickly point out how the young generation wants every thing handed to them, and pronto. Time for them to do something foreign to them, look in the mirror. So, let's encourage more stewardship of our resources, and not just be self centered about our approach. Amazing to me, some against baiting will use the above post to pint out how reducing deer numbers is useful in slowing the spread of CWD, and that justifies baiting. While at the same time they tell us of all the deer they passed on shooting. What double talk, and only idiots will buy that line of dung.

Frank, I sure wish you would have left that last line off.

And I also do not believe it is possible for nearly everyone to "sacrifice and buy land".

One step towards wisdom:

When one feels someone else's suffering as their own, and is able to rejoice in other peoples happiness as their own.

“Self centered about our approach”...............

Frank. Is it self centered to sit over a cattle water tank for antelope ?? How about a water hole ?? If an antelope hunter doesn’t improve the antelope habitat in which he is hunting..... Is that self centered ???

That can apply to any other species as well. Look.... I think what you do with your Habitat Management is fantastic.... But I think that those who spend great amounts of time and money to do what you do tend to look down their noses at guys who don’t do what you do......... Calling other hunters self centered is no way to recruit others to do what you do.

Frank, I think we do a lot of things similar. I I teach and coach. We have weekly practices and cookouts at our place all summer and fall. Local kids have access to our place a lot. Lots of fishing, camping, shooting, swimming, hunting, etc. My kid's have friends over often who also get to experience these things, many of them for the first time. They aren't exposed to bait piles on our place, so I really don't know how they would react if they saw one. What they do see is wheat/clover/chicory/beans, apple/crabbapple/pear, sawtooth, and a lot of native habitat that is carefully taken care of.

My experience is that kids never really express a concern over types of hunting or methods, they just like to participate with whoever is willing to take them or give them a chance. The only times in my life I've ever heard complaints of baiting is on hunting forums. Never once have I heard an adult talk about a pile of corn who wasn't a hunter. I have many times heard non-hunting adults talk of wounded or lost deer due to archery. Maybe I'm just unlucky with that.

I still stand by my view that laws should not be made to appease a non-participating group's feelings. Laws should be based on data and management. I also still stand by the fact that you can't have it both ways. If you let them tell you that you can't bait because it hurts their feelings, you also have let them tell you what else hurts their feelings.

I agree with you that we should be wise with what we project. I get what you are saying and do a great deal to promote conservation and good practices. It seems ill-chosen pictures on social media can breed contempt in people who otherwise would never give hunting a second thought. I agree that image is important and should be carefully maintained, but it isn't a basis for laws regarding management.

Over and out and apologies to the OP for instigating the sidetrack.

Jason, you are one of the good guys, thanks. I agree that feelings should not be the basis of law making, but the reality is otherwise. I like to tell my students that it is not enough that they want to accomplish good, they actually have to.

Regarding woundings, my response is to ask if they have ever been to a slaughter house. They don't get it right there the first time always either. But we are obligated to try. Thanks.

"That can apply to any other species as well. Look.... I think what you do with your Habitat Management is fantastic.... But I think that those who spend great amounts of time and money to do what you do tend to look down their noses at guys who don’t do what you do......... Calling other hunters self centered is no way to recruit others to do what you do."

I agree Chris, so quit insulting my intelligence by going along with someone just because they bait like you. If you are going to try and justify baiting to reduce herd numbers in an attempt to slow/stop the spread of CWD, don't look the other way when someone says they pass on numerous deer over bait. The most likely reason is they want a better deer, whatever better is in their mind.

The one talking down their noses is Kevin and the high number of snide remarks he has taken towards habitat managers. Though you have been complimentary, appreciated thank you, you have not pointed out his style is not a way to have people buy in. I get tired of the hypocrisy and double standards, and will call it out.

Chris,

The stock tank argument doesn't work for me. You have land, you know how to get more deer if you want them. You want your cake (trees) and eat it to (deer). Life's tough, we make hard choices. I don't support baiting but in a few instances, not to include your type of situation. I also do not support the government dictating private land use unless there is a compelling reason to do so. I see no compelling reason, including herd health, for them to do so.

That position doesn't seem acceptable to you. I have to agree that baiting is OK. I don't for the many reasons discussed. Please accept that.

Yes, grab a chain saw, put some sweat equity in it and bring the wildlife to your slice of heaven.

Frank, you nailed one of my favorite quotes that came from Churchhill; “It is not enough that we do our best; sometimes we must do what is required.” ? Winston S. Churchill

He also said this; “If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.” -Winston Churchill

Letting small freedoms be stripped, and fighting among ourselves is a sure way to feed an insurmountable enemy in the future. All laws and regulations should have considerable merit, and I will never tell someone how to hunt based on my preferences.

Frank.... I for one have never argued that I want to use a few gallons of corn for deer to help stop the spread of CWD.

I have simply stated that is how I enjoy hunting deer.

If I were a public land only deer hunter..... would you see me as self centered if I do absolutely nothing to help to improve deer habitat.... All I do is buy a tag and go out hunting ???? If you don’t see that guy as self centered.... Then why am I self centered because I do the exact same thing as him but I put down 2 gallons of corn ???

As to passing on deer.... The only deer that I’m passing are deer that are too small to get enough venison from to justify killing that deer.... or a doe with fawns......

"I'm sick of the "fighting amongst ourselves excuse". We routinely draw lines in the sand on what we will accept as fair chase. Was it divisive to ban spotlighting? High fence hunting? The poison bod? Shooting from a boat or moving vehicle? Things are either acceptable or they are not. When the majority of states say baiting is illegal, maybe we need to take a closer look."

The rules of fair chase that we as members of B&C and P&Y commit to guide ourselves by is a higher standard than that of the general public. Wildlife laws are designed to manage people to conserve wildlife for the enjoyment and use of future generations. The above Items are not all illegal in all states for instance you can spotlight hogs in some states, high fence hunting is not illegal in all states, hunting from a moving vehicle may be legal on private property. The only thing listed that is universally illegal is the poison pod which uses a dangerous Federally controlled substance.

All of these methods are mentioned in the Rules of Fair Chase or Fair Chase Affidavit of either B&C or P&Y except Baiting. B&C has a webpage which discusses baiting but in the end leaves it up to the laws of the individual states, as I recall there are something like 22 or 23 states in which baiting is legal in some form.

I strongly advise against pursing a ban on baiting for deer in Kansas

1) There is no current or emanate controversies that threatens hunting in Kansas associated with baiting. 2) Thousands of hunters across the state use bait in a responsible and legal manner and enjoy the experience. 3) To do this you will have to bring the issue up with the Department of Wildlife and have public hearings 4) You will portray legal hunters in a negative light. 5) You will force the opposing side to counter attack and disparage your agenda. 6) You will likely attract an Anti-hunting element (they will be on your side). 7) If the media gets involved things could spin out of control.

John

Shawn,

you make a great point. Your ethics are yours, mine are mine. We have guys on this site that think anyone hunting with a compound bow are cheating. Dont mention e bikes, atvs, rifles, or the real deal breaker- baiting deer.

I'm of the opinion that in the 2A and hunting/fishing/trapping space if it's legal I'll support it. Doesnt mean I have to like it or that I'll participate, but if you wish to do it and its legal I'm sure as hell not going to question your ethics.

My ethical position has definitely shifted as I age. I just turned 46 a few days ago and things I did as a child. or even in my 20's or early 30's i couldn't even imagine doing today. Some of the things i did as a child horrify me today.

Never.

Chris, Jason

You know my position. The government should not be involved. Hunters should elevate our standards on our own. As JM's post points out, standards have changed. I will not be surprised if the organizations he mentions do not some day define fair chase as to exclude baiting. And if that includes plots, I will be OK with that.

"The bait pile and stand will only be a few yards off of his fence line since that’s the only place that has any trees. " .........I'm confused. you need a tree to hunt? lol. just get on the ground. it's 2020, who needs a treestand?

Date:07-Dec-19

You are an awesome baiter Kevin.

I mean that sincerely. Extremely low populations, your words, yet you readily capture pictures of different deer in a very small area.

LMAO. Good grief, you just can make this stuff up.

Lol great post KPC. My thoughts almost exactly.

Another thing that cracks me up is habitat has stated numerous times the government has no business in our individual decisions on how we hunt. We should just do whatever he believes is fair chase?

^^^. Ha !!!! This !!!! How true Moose !!!

Never have said that have I Moose or Chris. Is lack of integrity contagious now?

All of us get to do what we think is proper. I have expressed my thoughts, and encouraged a path other than baiting. From my view, if I don't accept what some of you think is proper, then you feel free to insult and lie about me. You guys have good company.

Kevin........

You hit the nail on the head. The QDM crowd are the main players pushing to outlaw baiting.... Because it pisses them off to no end that the average Joe throws down a couple of gallons of corn and shoots a year and a half old buck.....

So the next step for them is to outlaw shooting that little buck to force the average Joe to go along with their desire to grow big bucks....

Take a drive around the thumb..... QDMA signs everywhere....”Let them go and let them grow “...... and QDMA lobbied legislature to outlaw the shooting of young bucks..... It’s all about the racks..... anyone who says any different is blowing smoke.....

Insult Frank ??? Seriously...??? Does selfish and lazy ring a bell ??

Kevin,

For not caring what others think, you sure put together a lengthy response, two days later. Hope you feel better.

A few thoughts...

Yes, I think able bodied and able minded people can accomplish about anything they are fully committed to and make the necessary sacrifices. I get we think differently on that, it goes back to how we paid for college in my mind. I am nothing special, so if I can have success most anyone can IMO. I have this same attitude towards welfare recipients as I do comfortable, educated people.

As stated previously, my habitat projects do not take from our household budget. We find cost share and I make sacrifices like driving vehicles until they die. Further, you have no idea who we have helped in our family since we were not blest to have children. And it will remain that way, so try practicing what you preach and don't make assumptions about people.

You trying to pull the money angle would be laughable if not a further reflection of your integrity. I remember your former comments on wealth, leaving it to your children, that you could have retired by 50 etc. Chris owns two homes and 20 acres in the UP. God bless none of us are hurting!

I started my habitat projects with a 5 hp tiller and a McCullough chain saw. It can be done on the cheap.

By your own words your property is surrounded by thousands of acres of public, better quality habitat. I and many others would die to be in your shoes. Sorry you ad your fan club cannot accept that my opinion is you have not justification for baiting, and habitat projects, including but not limited to, good plots are not baiting and are vastly superior for wildlife. It's my opinion. Others agree and disagree. It's a free country still boys.

I'm very much a QDM guy (not big on the QDMA organization though) and I have zero urge to ban baiting based on the neighbor maybe shooting "my" deer. I figure that if it's legal for him to throw out a pile of corn then it's legal for me to do so also. This baiting situation is an equal playing field, and nobody has a disadvantage unless it's by choice. Read that carefully... by my own personal choice to not bait even if it's legal and hold no ill will to anyone who does. Easy!

I plant plots, trees, open canopy, do periodic burns to promote forbs, coppice browse trees, and a whole host of other things to benefit wildlife. I pass numerous bucks that many would consider shooters in the hopes that I will have shots at them in following years as monsters! Yes, I love big antlers and do many things to promote that resource. With that said if the neighbor called and said he would like help dragging out the buck he just shot I wouldn't say a thing about it being the number one "save" buck on my place. I would grab a couple of beers and head his way. After I helped him load it I would shake his hand, drink a one of those beers with him, and tell him I wanted some of the jerky he makes from it for Christmas.

Frank... What part of it don’t you understand ??? Not everyone WANTS to farm for deer. Call it what you want... Habitat improvements.... Food plotting..... whatever. It’s farming. It’s tilling.... it’s clearing land........planting.... fertilizing...... It’s farming......

Not everyone has the desire to become a farmer or habitat manager.....

I have planted food plots... and I will again. They are kill plots..... small enough that if a deer walks into them... I can reach them with my bow.....

I have friends who are planting food plots. To help them to kill deer. They are not of the QDMA mindset.... neither am I.

You see guys that don’t want to do what you do as lazy. I don’t see that at all. The guy who wants nothing more than to walk out and hunt with zero involvement in farming has just as much right to buy a license and hunt deer as a deer farmer. And what does it hurt if he uses a couple gallons of bait ??

Man Cat........ You are a great hunting neighbor !! Your view on this subject is something all should strive for !!

Chris,

I get it, I understand. Not everyone wants to.

Now get that not everyone agrees baiting is necessary or healthy and some would like to discourage it. That's all!!!!

"As stated previously, my habitat projects do not take from our household budget. "

And you have also stated that if the teat dried up (CRP is taxpayer $$'s) you would significantly scale back your habitat work. Nice. Taxpayer funded hobby. Wonder how many others in the QDMA crowd are operating the same way?

Let's be honest. Sacrifice is when it hurts to do it, but doing it anyhow.

Frank.... I get that you don’t think that baiting is necessary. But I don’t think that you’ve shown one iota of information that proves it’s not healthy.....

You run a deer feeder yourself for God’s sake.

Wanting to discourage hunters from baiting is one thing. Belittling them.... calling them lazy selfish slobs isn’t gonna discourage them...

It’s not wanting to discourage the practice that I take issue with........

It’s the guys that want it OUTLAWED.

Well said cat scratch. Unfortunately the qdma crowd can't all be open minded. It's when their values are forced on regular Joe's where the problems occur. Can't believe someone has to explain this but actually no not everyone can buy land and do habitat work. Congratulations habitat, and everyone else who has worked hard and chosen to do that. Literally thousands of examples of people that don't have the finances or health to do habitat work who are left out of this amazing hunting lifestyle if certain qdma views are forced on the general public. Not to mention those that just don't want to manipulate the habit for the benefit of the particular animal they enjoy hunting. And yes I realize that some other animals reap some benefits of such habitat work. Some animals and organisms are also no longer present in these man made manipulated habitats as well. So I guess you would have to admit that some animals absolutely are harmed by all this qdma habitat generosity if they are no longer able to survive in these areas.

Never been in a government program. I've looked at the pollinator program some, but can stand the thought of my land being under regulations or control by someone other than me. If I decided I wanted to plant some oaks or persimmon in that pollinator acreage in 2 years then I'm going to do it. Being under the obligations of the government is not my cup of tea. I'll work some odd jobs in the summer and pay for it myself, and change it whenever I feel like without penalty.

Chris,

I have never once said or implied government should outlaw it. Read the articles posted to see how it can affect herd health. My feeder is along a creekway with timber. The deer travel it, that's why I bought that specific lot. The feeder and adjacent food plot does not change deer behavior.

Kevin,

You do have a reading comprehension problem..

The government should not be involved, they should not make a law banning it unless there is a compelling reason to do so, and CWD does not meet those standards were my exact words.

I ask that you honor your word and quit responding to me.

Oh for crimeny sakes Frank....... Now you’re going to say that a bait pile can affect herd heath..... but your feeder can’t ??? Jeeze Frank....... That’s a stretch.....

Frank..... That is why I said that it is the guys that want it outlawed that I take issue with......

The HUNTERS that show up to NRC meetings and ask for baiting to be outlawed and antler point restrictions to be made into law.

Tom,

I could farm that land and take the money. It is a sacrifice.

I use the money for direct out of pocket expenses. I do all of the work. The opportunity cost is a huge sacrifice, as many of you pointed out that you don't want to do the work.

CRP is cash rent for the land. It has an impact on commodity prices, erosion, water health etc. The government is getting something in return and so is society. Wish we had more responsible LOs.

Chris,

Please read the articles! I did not say or imply a gravity feeder is any different than a bait pile for health or any other variable. They are exactly the same!

Mine doesn't re-direct herd behavior. They travel the creek, there is ag on both ends of that creek right outside our development.

As stated before, they are not eating the corn, they are in he plot.

Whatever issues are going on with QDMA and your state, I represent my own views. Discuss those please, do not lump me in with anyone else.

"The opportunity cost is a huge sacrifice, as many of you pointed out that you don't want to do the work."

Subtle dig Frank? I sent all three of my kids to private school. $6K per year. THAT's a sacrifice. Because I CHOSE to do that, I really don't have the $$ to buy land and manage it. I've stated before what I would do if I owned the 1000 acres I hunt on.

"I could farm that land and take the money. It is a sacrifice."

No, Frank. It is not. It's only a sacrifice, if the $$ from farming were intended for budgetary use. Apparently it's not, or it would be. So, again you are using taxpayer $$'s to fund your hobby, and have expressly stated you would scale back if those $$'s were to cease. Sacrifice isn't using someone else's $$'s.

Tom, One thing I think I have proven, I am not subtle. There was no dig, several said they don't want to spend their time doing it. You are a little sensitive.

I would use ag revenue for my family budget. We use CRP money to give back and dull the criticism you are trying to level. Nice try though Tom.

Thanks for sending your kids to private school. We support that as well!

Moose,

Thanks for a balanced response. Robin and I recognize we have been blest. One of those blessings is living in a country where dreams are possible!

Truth be told, I would rather live where we had close access to large tracts of public land. I am a bit of explorer at heart. Had a job offer in CO when I was young. Wife does not like the mountains. Broke my heart a little. I try and make the best of it with what I do here. Just my personality to look for win-win situations.

People think someone else always has it better. I try and appreciate what I have.

Why don't you try reading what biologists think?

Frank,

Why would what biologists think matter to someone who hasn't cared about what others think since the 8th grade? Personally, I only thought about myself in the 8th grade, then I grew up.

Matt

Matt,

Something doesn't smell right. I received a PM from a poster on the other thread. Claimed he was just there to level the playing field for Kevin. Today it seems to me that Kevin is just trying to be antagonistic. Texas Ranger serving up warnings?

Kevin is giving as good, if not better than he receives.

My request he read what biologists say is sincere. For example, baiting in areas that may have harsh climates may cause young deer not yet experienced in yarding or other protective behaviors to hang around a bait site too long. By the time they realize the food is out, they might have to find their way to the herd walking through virgin deep snow instead of trails blazed by other deer. This may weaken them allowing predators to pick them off or wear down fat reserves causing death.

By: Matt

I personally think you'd be a dumb@$$ for even approaching your neighbor about it, but that is just me. How would you feel if the situation was reversed? If I were him, I'd be inclined to rescind my offer to let you hunt due to demonstrated poor judgement.

RK's embedded Photo

Nice post Matt you went right to the heart of the matter

For you private or public land experts what is this

Feline?

Looks like a kayak of some sort...

By: Matt

looks like an ocelot.

It does matt. Head is a little different. We have ocelots on one of the properties in south Texas. Don't see them very often

Show me one biologist that says that a bait pile is a risk of spreading disease...... but a gravity feeder is not.......

Chris?????

Who claimed that?

Frank.... The biologists in Michigan apparently aren’t worried about the deer in harsh climates dealing with bait piles. The most severe winters in the state occur in the U.P.,,,, And deer yard up in the winter..... Yet the U.P. is the only area of Michigan still open to baiting....

What do the biologists in Texas say about baiting deer ???

What do the biologists in Saskatchewan say about baiting deer ?? It doesn’t get much harsher than there in the whitetail range ???

You can cherry pick your biologist opinions all you want..... But apparently not all biologists agree on how to manage deer...

Chris, I wish you the best in your state. Michigan game managers don't seem to have a clue. Nor does the general hunting and non-hunting public there.

As see it as an outsider looking in, Michigan has 3 problems. Too many deer, too few hunters, and lack of mature bucks. The easy solution to those problems in my mind is to kill more does, and let young bucks survive until mature. Do those 2 things and I think the hunters would flock to MI, and it could have hunting on par with Iowa.

But maybe I'm over-simplifying it.

Matt

I don’t disagree.. One buck per hunter per season.... doesn’t matter what weapon you kill the buck with. Way more yearlings will get a voluntary pass under that system....

And open does back up to archers in the U.P.,,,,, As John Ozoga says........ you can’t stock pile deer in the U.P. Killing less does simply means more starve in the yards.

Yet Michigan will never be quite like Iowa. I think Iowa has only about 1% of their land that is State Land or Federal Land..... While 12% of Michigan is State Land..... Not to Mention our vast Federal Forests....10% of the land in Michigan is Federal Land.... So Iowa is mostly private land..... Big difference..... If you look at the areas of Michigan where most of the big bucks come from....... Its the southernmost counties where most of the land is private.

Chris,

You bet I know the difference between the UP and LP Winters. Road closures, accidents, snow, deer/truck collisions were all part of my job. And yes I know the UP is where yarding takes place, yet deer will congregate around needed habitat during periods of stress, just like my one picture shows.

I don't cherry pick biologists, and no disrespect to Kevin's neighbor, but I will defer to a wildlife biologist over a CO as typically CO's have as much or more emphasis on law enforcement as they do biology.

I don't remember the study, it was years ago, maybe WI or MN...reported on behavior of radio collared deer. Don't remember exactly, but something about yearling bucks, rut time, their being displaced out of their home range during this time, coinciding with the start of harsher weather and not knowing who to follow...these young bucks were more at risk. Seemed to make sense to me, but I am no biologist, that's why I try and keep an open mind to what they say.

Great observation Chris. If you want to get something done PRIVATE enterprise is what gets it done in the most efficient manner. Same with growing and killing big deer. Private enterprise/property

Yep not fair to the average Joe, I get that. But what really is. Does Disneyland give free or reduced tickets to the average Joe?

There is away to solve it hopefully Michigan can figure it out

Chris,

Do you know if MI deer were re-stocked? If so, were the same sub-species stocked north to south? Thanks.

I don’t think deer were ever stocked in Michigan. Elk were .... but not deer to my knowledge.....

Nope deer were never stocked in Michigan. Always have been here. And Southern Michigan deer get scary big but not enough of them live long enough to do it.

Frank what would stocking have to do with Michigans problem?

RK,

I agree with your last post except that private versus public is probably only part of the explanation for size differences.

You know more than me I am sure, but the sub-species can explain size differences.

Since that is eliminated, I bet soil profiles are much different in the southern ag areas, and the crops are more effective at delivering the higher nutrient content those soils have.

Here in MO in the NW as we get closer to IA and the soil that grows those big deer, we see the same effect here. One of the reasons I like this area of MO.

Kevin,

Why don't you give it a rest? You have over played your hand.

Frank. I think body size is larger in the U.P. for the most part.... If anything.... the sub species of whitetail gets larger bodied the further north you go.

Southern Michigan grows the big racks more consistently than anywhere in the state...

Chris,

Yes, the theory that deer/animals increase in body size in northern latitudes adapting for survival should be what is taking place. Seems the talk here was LP deer were bigger though. Nutrients do affect the racks for sure. Not many P&Y come out of MO Ozarks. Thanks.

Chris, that theory may not always hold true I believe because some smaller sub-species we're stocked in certain states. Is it not the Virginia sub-species that is largest?

Chris, that theory may not always hold true I believe because some smaller sub-species we're stocked in certain states. Is it not the Virginia sub-species that is largest?

I hear that there are some large bodied deer in Georgia too that were transplanted from the north....

I personally don’t see much difference between Iowa and Michigan pubic land percentages. They are still a fraction of other states. Yet Iowa has figured it out and MI can’t. Hmm...

Matt

Huh ?? You don’t see a difference between a state that has 1% public land.... and one that has about 22% public land ??

Virginia sun species is the largest

Date:08-Dec-19

Matt,

Look at a map of the original range of native grasses. Mainly this encompasses our fertile farm belt today.

Prairie grasses, especially after centuries of growth, significantly build the fertility and bio-mass in the ground.

I believe it is commonly accepted soil nutrients/nutrition, along with genetics, age etc play a significant role in deer/antler development.

To me this explains a lot in the difference in herd numbers north to south in MI, and rack size. Just not enough quality food in the north.

I also see here the attitude I witnessed when I hunter there...any buck is good. QDMA principles are having a tougher time catching on, tradition is difficult to change. And not saying it should!

Date:08-Dec-19

I would sit down and talk to the friend that has the property that holds deer. I would explain to him that the guy next door will give you permission to deer hunt and would it bother him if you planted a food plot a little ways off his property. If he was upset then I probably wouldnt do it. If he was fine then all is good. But in the back of my mind I would be thinking boy is this kind of friend I really need. The older I have gotten the less serious I take deer hunting as something worth getting that upset over. If I was your friend I would say "go for it and good luck". Just my 2 cents

Date:10-Dec-19

It sounds like you are fortunate to own a nice deer property. If your property is a nice as it sounds, you won't even miss a beat. Even if he shot the big one. No one really cares what size deer you shoot this year so just enjoy hunting. Life is too short. That is why I use traditional equipment. I can and have shot some big ones but really any buck on bow range is just awesome! The higher tech bows and crossbows might erode some of that fun.

Date:16-Dec-20

Looks like this thread was brought back from the dead by a spam bot. Earlier I had said if a neighbor killed my #1 "save buck" that I would congratulate him and bring him a beer. Well... the neighbor's buddy killed #1 from our place. Timing dictated that I couldn't bring him a celebratory drink, but I am taking a couple of years worth of sheds and some trailcam pics to him as soon as I can find time. Not giving him the sheds, but I think he will like to compare them to his rack and see some of the buck's velvet pics.

Back to eithics; the neighbor has a large corn feeder and a new plot (helped advise him what to plant in it). This particular buck was a homebody mostly and he never had a trailcam pic of him, not at any time of the year. The buck just took a stroll and got unlucky. I'm thrilled for they guy. Biggest buck he's ever shot! Conversely, I found a de-headed body on our land earlier this fall; rifle hole in his chest (out of season), no head, meat left to rot. That is unethical, dirty, cheap, and chitty. I'm not happy for him.

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

Big Bear, Chris, hasn't been here in awhile but these pictures, at least to me, prove plots (habitat) are much better than bait. FTR, the deer are still using this plot and hardly ever visit the feeder because there were corn fields within .3 miles in two directions this year.

This was soybeans last year, that I seeded with rye grain as the beans yellowed, and then frost seeded clover.

The clover attracts all sorts of animals, here's a rabbit.

And the rabbits attract multiple predators...

And if you bring the does, you bring the bucks...

Yeah....well screw you and your soybean, Frank!!! lol. The farm I hunt is about 900 or so acres. Maybe 2-300 acres of standing timber, 200 acres planted, and the rest was timbered.

The mast was horrible this year. I mean nothing. Those damn deer wouldn't leave the beans. Literally bedded and fed in the same spot. Previous years, if the mast was good, the deer were feeding on that before moving into the fields after dark. Didn't cut the beans till the second week of November. I did manage to shoot a decent 8 the third week.

I am most definitely coming late to this discussion. But I can tell you that my brother and I started to buy our properties in 1985. People said we were crazy, stupid etc., so be it. We never intended to post it or keep anyone out. That lasted 2 years. After numerous act of vandalism, slob hunters and destruction of property we put up no hunting without permission signs. ( I know a total joke). That made the situation worse including verbal assaults on my brother and I and our families around the community and the phone. Unfortunately the hunting community in our area made things the way they are. It was never about trophy deer etc.

By: Ollie

So this guy does you a favor and lets you hunt his place, just not deer because that is what he is into. Now you want to hunt property next to his and put out a big bait pile just off his fenceline to draw in the deer off his property. What the H*LL is wrong with you! Seriously pal, you need to take a long hard look in the mirror and decide what kind of person you are.

By: KHNC
Date:23-Dec-20

Personally, i think its funny JSW abandoned his own thread after possibly not liking some of the logical responses to his complaint/question.

Date:24-Dec-20

I think plots are excellent for bait, but the public land hunter cannot plot. I see nothing wrong with recreational feeding and baiting on private and public lands. The more food placed on the landscape, the LESS the deer will congregate on any one source, natural, or unnatural. Common sense.

No. I wouldn’t do that.

“ What you do have some control over is the herd in your immediate area, especially if you own the land. Habitat enhancement is fun. My hats off to all who pay it forward by improving habitat.”

MB,

That’s what you said on the biggest doe thread. How does that square up with what you just posted on this thread?

My previous post is the same concept. Private land owners can enhance habitat, including food plots. Small parcel landowners, which are many public land hunters, cannot log, clear, plant and food plot on public. They should however be allowed to recreational feed on private and to use controlled baiting on public, which in some areas can mean life or death to the winter herds.

Spreading out the food sources thru controlled baiting and recreational feeding , also improves the public land hunting experience for some hunters by keeping a portion of the deer from seeking the goodies of private land.

Spreading out the food sources, by having more places to eat, will reduce congregation of the herd and perhaps slow the spread of CWD.

So, I encourage private land habitat improvement ( including food plots) and I also believe the public hunter should be allowed controlled baiting, and everyone should be allowed to recreational feed deer, even on very small parcels.

in my section the biggest jackass landowner by far is the one that fancies himself a deer 'manager'

No private person of course can be an overall deer manager, other than what they see as management on their own private parcel.

Each private "manager" may have completely different objectives and measurements of success of their management.

that's true missouribreaks but a lot of the 'managers' around here seem to think everyone needs to see management the same way they do. the guy i'm talking about sure does.

Cabel ???

By: Rupe
Date:25-Dec-20

I think JohnMC nailed it. Just ask the guy his thoughts. Say I wanted to ask you first because I don’t want to ruin the relationship. If he says no then honor it, if he says yes then have at it. Either way his respect for you will definitely increase.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.