Following is my outfitter report from a recent adventure with Dries Visser Safaris for African Plains Game. This is a modified North American Hunting Club format. 1) Outfitter: Dries Visser Safaris
2) Owner: Dries Visser
3) Address: P.O. Box 751, Thabazimbi, 0380, South Africa
4) Phone: +27 147790644
5) E-mail: [email protected]
6) When: August 16-23, 2010
7) Where: Thabazimbi, South Africa
8) Guided: Fully
9) Drop: No
10) Transportation to hunting area: Truck driven by professional hunter (PH).
11) Accommodations: Duplex cottages with separate lodge, dining area, bar, BBQ area and pool at main camp. Huts, covered dining area, fire patio and separate shower/toilet structure at a Kronsberg camp.
12) Trophy hunt only: No
13) Species hunted / harvested: Gemsbok, blesbok, kudu, wildebeest, warthogs (male and female).
14) Tools used: Compound bow.
15) Land hunted: Private
16) Cost: Daily rates, 1x1 professional hunter upgrade and trophy fees totaled $7214.00. Check with outfitter for current rates. Additional costs: Tips $985.00, air fare $1545.00+$15 FEDEX shipment, Dip &Pack $640, estimated shipment of trophies $813.03, overnight in Johannesburg $136.44, travel insurance $219.00, taxidermy for one animal $875.00. Estimated final total: $12,442.47.
17) Challenging terrain adversely affect hunt: No
18) Did weather adversely affect hunt: No
19) Quantity of game: Excellent
20) Quality of game: Excellent
21) Guide's Competence: Excellent
22) Guide's Hunting Ethics: Excellent
23) Condition of Equipment: Excellent
24) Food: Excellent
25) Trophy care: Excellent
26) Meat care: Excellent
27) Number of outfitted / guided hunts for myself: 8
28) Recommended: Yes!
29) General comments: This was the trip of a lifetime (and I’m hoping to make a second…). Dries Jr is a great guy who runs a tight operation. Kerneels, my PH, was intent on being a great host as well as professional hunter. The same applies to the other PHs, trackers, Chef Duane and the rest of the staff. You can find my daily journal from the eight day hunt here, http://skinnymoose.com/mostlyarchery/category/bowhunting-africa/.
30) Contact me at dustyvarmint at hotmail.com if I can be of help.
None to date. If you are the outfitter please email us.
Mild temps - sweat shirt in morning, long sleeves in afternoon.