Sitka Gear
Bowhunting Whitetails in Kansas - a LIVE Bowhunt from



Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Day 4

Day 5

Day 6

Day 7

Day 8

Day 9

Day 10


Day 8

We packed camp, which I was hesitant about as I just didnt want to leave, but truth is the Caribou werent moving through here anymore. We hiked back to my Moose and did the analysis on the shot. Id never been so sure of a great shot and removing the heart and lungs proved it correct. The arrow was tight through the triangle, taking both lungs and the heart.

Byron was impressed with the bow and arrow at this point, myself being the first Bowhunter he has guided. Ribs posed no upset with the right set up and this shot also proved that, Id taken dead center of a rib on both sides, but still achieved full penetration on the bull. The Arrow and Broadhead combination sent from the Hoyt Carbon Matrix on 70lbs performed flawlessly, especially considering it went through both shoulders, a rib on entry and a rib on exit. My shaft choice was the Victory VAP with stainless steel insert and the VPA two blade 150gr broadhead. This will also be my Cape Buffalo and Water Buffalo set up on a few upcoming adventures.

Finishing removing all the meat and cape, we packed it to the pickup point. The antlers weighed a ton and were super cool to pack out.

I love bowhunting. Its beautiful, peaceful and sometimes has antlers.

Byron had a quick nap while we were waiting for the helicopter to pick up the meat, a quick sleep that was well deserved; great guy, great guide. The helicopters blades rang up the pass of the valley and we signaled to him. He dropped in on the precious meat and antlers and we loaded the net with a thousand feeds of Moose and the trophy bone.

The helicopter was rigged up and signaled the all clear. It took off into the distance to drop the meat at the mud flat for the plane to take it the rest of the way back to base before shipping of the meat to local communities. The helicopter dropped back into the flat and picked us up before landing at spike camp and picking up our gear for the flight back to base camp.

The flight over the river on the way back was beautiful and the mountains spectacular as we peeled off the winding river and over the mountains before dropping into a massive canyon and travelling along it to base camp.

Despite my hesitation to be back at base camp, all reports were that the Caribou were moving through the base camp mountains and river and with little to no Caribou moving in our area we moved on. The twelve hour hunting count down started again. I made good use of it, photographing around base camp and helping to cape out some game.

Werner came back to base camp with my Moose after the helicopter dropped it off at the mud strip. I quickly raced out to the air strip and helped unpack the meat and antlers, which I hugged and kissed.

I spent the afternoon studying and glassing the mountains around camp. The terrain that the Mountain Caribou frequent is quite amazing and you could see these animals walking down the steep shale mountainsides with ease and cover a mile of land in little time.

Ancient Mountain Caribou trails cut deep into the grounds of the mountains, the migrating paths tramped even through solid rock. The morning would see Byron and me sitting off one of these trails.

A beautiful big ram from the operation, Ill be coming back to hunt one of these beauties.

Next - Day 9


  • Sitka Gear