Sitka Gear

Pine Valley Outfitters

Website Address posted for sponsors only
Hunter: Glenn Balthaser
Ratings to date: 4
Average Rating 3.8
Hunter Comments
I recommend this outfitter

Save your money and DON'T spend a penny with this outfitter. I would not let my worst enemy hunt with this outfitter. His guide (Wyatt) was young and recently moved to Utah from Ohio and didn't know the area and had never killed an elk. The outfitter (Wade) was not home for the first day of our hunt and was pretty much useless the rest of the hunt. We saw tons of campers, 4 wheelers, pickup trucks, etc. that were parked, camped and driving up and down along the roads. We hunted and shared the same public land with over 1 hundred other elk bull hunters, hikers, joy riders, etc. No other hunting season was open. We saw other hunters in the forest where we were hunting. We saw lots of people from the areas we would glass for elk, included kids throwing snowballs and people taking selfies at the lookout area. We only saw elk tracks in the snow and the dirt in 5 days of hunting in our legal hunting area. We would drive the same public roads almost every day looking for elk. The outfitter (Wade) claimed to have a 7,000-acre private ranch to hunt and public land behind the ranch which you could access from the ranch, but we never hunted the private or public land a minute. The outfitters truck’s 4-wheel drive broke down on the second morning of the hunt at day break, so we lost ¾ of a day of hunting. We went back to his house after looking for elk on a public road for 5 miles and drove about 50 miles back to the Cedar City, Utah, but he didn’t swap out trucks and go hunting because it was raining. The outfitter and guide didn’t have rain gear on them or in the truck . So, if he truck breaks down on the first day of your hunt, you don’t hunt until someone else fixes the truck. The outfitter and guide (Wyatt) never told us when or where we were going to hunt the same day or the previous evening. Some days we drove to snow covered areas in the morning, but never got out of the truck and then we would drive to lower elevations were people were walking around in shorts and short sleeved shirts. Our contract stated we may be using 4 wheelers, snowmobiles, or horses, we never saw any of these at the outfitters house, since he didn’t have a garage or barn at his house in the city. We don’t know if he borrows them or just says he has them. We did NOT hunt 4 days out of 5 days between the hours of 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, we spent the time inside his grandfather’s cabin socializing with his friends and relatives or was at his house. In 5 days of hunting, we spent 14 hours a day with him and sleeping and eating dinner at the outfitters house , the outfitter didn't talk to us more than 30 minutes in 5 days. He never shook our hands or talked to us except for a total of about 30 minutes. He would leave his house in the morning and get in his truck and never would say we were leaving. He would get out of his truck in the woods without a word and would start walking away and expected us to follow him, not knowing if we were spotting from that location or walking 1 or 2 or 5 miles. He only ate lunch with us 1 day, the other meals he would leave the room. We think he needs medical help. The outfitter would stop for gas every morning and buy his own snacks and drinks for the day, but only paid for ours on 1 day. The other 4 days we would have to pay for our own, even though we didn't eat breakfast or drink coffee at his house or anywhere else. The outfitter left his binoculars on the kitchen table at his house on the 4th day and left his spotting scope on the kitchen table on the 5th day . He had to call his wife and ask her where he had left them. Both the outfitter and the guide Leica binocular/ range finders were broken. The outfitter’s binoculars right eye piece was broken, this caused the range finder not to work. The guide’s Lecia binocular/ range finder’s electronics was broken and he couldn’t use the range finder. The outfitter (Wade) would NOT hunt when it was raining or snowing. It rained in the lower elevation and snowed in the higher elevation for 2 full days and part of another day. The outfitter and guide did NOT have rain gear or cold weather gear with them or were wearing them. The outfitter wore jeans, baseball hat and light weight camo jacket, when it was 24 degrees and over 1 ft. of snow on the ground. So, we knew that we were not leaving the truck. The outfitter couldn't glass on 2 days since he left his binoculars and spotting scope at his house twice on the kitchen table. Their gear was either worn out or broken , from their hunting boots to transportation and everything in between. The guide (Wyatt) accused us of trying to steal their hot spots on public land from them, by us taking pictures and marking where we parked the truck with a GPS. We told him that since he was new to the area, we wanted to make sure we would find the truck in case - he would get lost , since he was from Ohio. His first hot spot - we already saw hunters walking in the wood about 20 minutes after we started walking . To sum it up , we were hunting with the crowds , dealing with an unstable person. By the second day we figured we were taken for a ride and we had no hope of a successful hunt, much less have any chance of seeing or shotting an elk. We only hoped to not get arrested or injured or killed while driving down the road with the outfitter texting and driving all day long.

Outfitter's Response

None to date. If you are the outfitter please email us.

Hunt Information
Date of Hunt - October 2018
Implement - Rifle
Hunt Type - Guided
Personal Guide - Wade Hollerman
Number in Camp - 2
Outfitter Cost - $4,500.00
Other Costs - $1,000.00
Weather Information
Did Weather Affect your Hunt? No - Weather not a factor
Weather Comments:
The weather was snowing in the high country (9,000 ft,) to raining in the lower elevation - the first 2 days. We didn't hunt in the rain on the second day , because the outfitter's truck's 4 wheel drive didn't work , so we could not drive off road and we could walk in the rain because the outfitter and guide didn't have rain wear, but we had Gore-Tex pants and coats. We drove 50 miles back to Cedar City, Utah (oufitters home) But beautiful sunny , but a little windy for the next 3 days in the lower elevation , we saw people walking around shorts and short sleeved shirts
  • Sitka Gear