fuzzy 14-Feb-24
fuzzy 14-Feb-24
Lee 15-Feb-24
gjs4 15-Feb-24
Lee 15-Feb-24
Stressless 17-Feb-24

By: c5ken
Date:11-Feb-24

I have a 3ac food plot that I planted last August with Ladino clover & a cover crop of cerial rye. I want to frost seed the plot with Ladino clover.

I live in S/E Michigan. The temp last week got up to high 50's/low 60's. However, it will be back in the 20's this week. So, should I wait until we get some snow & broadcast seed over the snow or seed over the existining clover/rye? There is no snow on the ground now...

By: Dale06

Watching

By: t-roy

You should be good to go, Ken. Snow isn’t needed. The biggest plus to having snow is being able to see where you’ve been while broadcasting the seed. Lots of snow or a hard crust on it are both negatives, IMO. Getting the seed to soil contact is key. The freeze-thaw cycle helps pull the seed into the soil enough to help germination once temps get to where they need to be.

By: Fuzzy

now

Thanks for the info.... Guess I seed next week..

Date:12-Feb-24

I seeded my 3ac fool plot today. Snow/rain is forecasted in two days. Hope the seeds find the dirt

By: fuzzy
Date:12-Feb-24

Perfect!

By: gjs4
Date:14-Feb-24

If you dont mind the tag on-

Would "now" change for another area of the county? for chicory or oats?

Posed as it seems some say there is too early but its never defined. Have also heard atop snow is good- or the worst. internet facts and opinions can be challenging

By: t-roy

Chicory can be frost seeded, but I wouldn’t frost seed oats now (unless you’re in the southern tier of states). A hard frost or two will kill sprouted oats.

EDIT: as far as snow is concerned, I prefer not to seed on top of deeper snow (18”-24”+ or more) or if there is a hard crust on it. Fluffy or melting snow is a much better option. The seed will stay put much better in those conditions. Rapidly melting snow can cause some runoff issues with the seed, especially in sloping areas.

Got about 1/2 of my clover plots frost seeded yesterday. No snow cover here and the top half inch of the ground was frozen, but was starting to thaw out and get a bit greasy on the last couple of passes with the hand seeder. Calling for highs in the 40s with temps dropping down into 20s overnight for the next week or so. Perfect frost seeding conditions. Can’t believe we have basically no frost in the ground in February. 3’-5’ is more the norm. Damn global warming….

Absolutely "now" changes with zone and crop. Too many variables to cover. The "Now" response was intended to address the original specifics. Southern MI and Landino Clover. It would also cover brassica and some other perennial clovers. Much too early for annual legumes, cereal grains, sunflower etc.

Question for MR. Fuzzy.

As stated in my original post, I planted cereal rye over Ladino. The cereal rye is still green & about 5/6" tall. The deer appear to be still eating it. Will the Rye continue to grow this spring or will it die off giving way to the clover?

If they don't completely demolish it, it will come along as the weather warms up. If they keep it eaten back it will start to head out with short stems and sparse seed heads. If they move off it it'll come along and head out and seed normally.

It won't hurt the clover at all either way and may keep some pressure off it

By: Lee
Date:15-Feb-24

I’m in IL for reference - if I didn’t have mine spread already I’d be sweating it right now. The whole idea behind frost seeding is to have frost. The freezing and thawing “heaves” the seed into the soil. If no freezing it won’t work nearly as well.

By: gjs4

In NY we have an easy month and a half of sustained snow threat. The concern here is snow melt wash away, increased bird "predation" and the big moisture and temps swing leading to germ then freeze.

I asked the question with southern Ohio (and chicory specific as I haven't frost seeded it exclusively) and feel like I came in worrying about being too early, and now next weekend seems too late.

Thank You for the input guys

By: Lee

Really depends on when you quit freezing and thawing. As long as you are getting temps below 32. If it’s getting above freezing in the daytime hit it as early as you can. You don’t want the ground getting greasy and the seed sticking to your shoes or 4-wheeler tires depending on how you are spreading it.

Date:17-Feb-24

C5Ken

Ref Rye and clover or mixed legumes.

The deer will browse the rye every time it grows throughout the winter and before spring greenup. Rye is tough and resilient to browse pressure.

20180430-174236-jpg

If you don't terminate the rye with mowing at bolt stage or IMOX or other Grass specific herbicide it will lignify (become unpalatable) and bolt to set seed heads. Rye has an allopathic impact on weed seeds which might be want you want letting the rye go to seed.

This is a plot that was bear dirt in Sep, sown with legumes and rye in Sep. Frost seeded with lugumes in early March (zone 6a). I let this plot bolt and just cutting the rye in late June while the rye seedhead is in the dough stage. You can see the legumes thriving under the bolted rye. THis gives the rye roots the best growth to build soil, reduce weed competition, and create a thatch for the young legumes.

20230618-173157

LoL - this is just me and Goyt's experience - your results might differ.... ;)

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.