Panhandle Bob 13-Dec-23
Charlie Rehor 13-Dec-23
Grey Ghost 13-Dec-23
Wildan2 14-Dec-23
fuzzy 14-Dec-23
Panhandle Bob 14-Dec-23

Date:13-Dec-23

Panhandle Bob's MOBILE embedded Photo

This is the back part (1 -1.5 acres) of my property that I had forestry mulched and planted winter rye to get me to spring. I would like to plant dutch white clover or micro clover back there...or a clover/grass mix. Before I plant anything back there it needs to be raked and smoothed out so that I can use a zero turn mower vs bush hog. I do not own a tractor, but do have an ATV. Looks like I can spend about $1700 and get the ATV implements needed...So the big question is am I better off paying someone to do the tractor work or purchase the ATV implements and do it myself?

Shop around on Marketplace or other sites and buy what you need. I want to be able to plant when I see rain or have time. I could not wait for someone and then have them not show up to do the job.

Looks like a home made "drag" would smooth it up. Some landscape timbers, 4x4 posts, or any other available stout posts/poles and a length of chain link fence will work. Build a frame and attach the chain link. Weight it according to what you have to pull it and go to work!

One section, about 5 feet wide, behind an atv will give loose soil for planting.

By: fuzzy

Bob you should pay me to do it. Lol

How long do you expect your perennials to last, and how expensive is it to hire someone to do the tractor work?

Matt

Fuzzy come on down! We are estimating the house will be completed in mid January.

Matt, I expect the rye to start dying off in March or April...but I hope to start raking and smoothing out February or March. We haven't discussed price yet...but he charged me $2K to do the forestry mulch & plant the rye.

There are some ruts and a couple of small holes...Land used to be managed for timber so the ruts are from the equipment used to cut the pines. It looks smoother from a distance than it actually is.

My concern is tearing up my 4-wheeler, but it's also not like I'll be doing a bunch of food plots, just maintaining this 1.5 acres on the new homestead...

Great to see your post. Best always.

Bob, for me it would depend on whether or not the tractor work is a one and done thing, or will you have to do it periodically every few years. If it's one and done, and cheaper to hire than buy the implements, I'd go that way. If you expect to need the implements periodically then I'd consider investing in them.

I will tell you tell you, I used my 45 HP tractor to break up about 6 acres of native grassland with a rototiller, then used my 4-wheeler to spread alfalfa seed and over-drag with a section of chain-linked fencing weighted down with a log. My plot kinda sucked, but my tractor and 4-wheeler were no worse for the wear. I decided it wasn't worth the effort with my sandy soils and dry climate, so I let it go back to native grass.

Matt

Date:14-Dec-23

At least in our area;ground engaging implements for an ATV are about useless.I do use mine with a seeder and sprayer.We have tractors for the dirt work.

By: fuzzy

Wish you were closer Bob I've got all the fun "pretending to farm " toys now. Lol

Thanks for the responses guys! Hi Charlie, It's been a while, but I still browse almost daily.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.