Mark Watkins 12-Dec-23
Julius Koenig 13-Dec-23
drycreek 13-Dec-23
t-roy 13-Dec-23
Julius Koenig 13-Dec-23
t-roy 13-Dec-23
fuzzy 13-Dec-23

Date:11-Dec-23

I’m up here in Maine, our snow just melted and deer hunting is over for the year. We have 30-40 degree days coming, no snow in sight. Freezing at night. Is now a good time spread lime?

By: fuzzy

There's no bad time to lime. You're a bit late for it to kick in for spring stuff but by summer/fall the pH will be coming up. I lay it down heavy in late fall and winter and add a bit at planting time

Thanks

Do you know your soil type and pH? A lot of Maine is sandy, granite-derived with low pH from the parent material. If your topsoil is fairly high in organic material that can create more demand for pH adjustment. Sandy soils leach faster than clay soils so once you get your target pH you may need frequent light applications to keep it there. If you have more clay you may be able to lime it up and have it "hold" a few years.

I have found that pellet lime seems to go into the soil a little faster, so it gets spent somewhat faster. The positive side to bulk lime is that since it doesn't go into the soil as quickly, it lasts longer.....and is a LOT cheaper, if you have the equipment available to spread it.

Jake it sure is cheaper and does last longer. I use hydrated lime, pelleted lime and ag lime. Depending on the size of the plot, time of year and specific goals. Some places I can only get the ATV spreader into and I'll do a good dusting of hydrated on a new plot as soon as I have bare ground, put down some seed and lay down pelleted lime heavy in late summer, on a big field where I can use the Massey Ferguson I'll use limestone dust in the fall

Julius, you don’t specify whether it is AG lime or PEL lime your talking about spreading...(but it really doesn’t make a difference)

I think your better off putting it on in the fall (so it has more time to provide benefit next year).

Good on you for taking steps (and spending hard earned $) to improve your plots.

Mark

Hey guys, I was thinking of buying pelletized lime as I have read it works a little Faster. In reality we are about 6-7 months from growing season here.

Date:12-Dec-23

PEL Lime does work faster....but only lasts for about one year. 300 lbs of PEL each year will keep your PH consistent. (Ag lime will take longer to raise the PH but usually last for 3-4 years)

PEL lime now and I think you’ll have a positive impact for crops this spring.

Mark

Date:13-Dec-23

Thanks!

What Mark said !

By: t-roy

Are you able to get ag lime in your area and have it spread, Julius?

I can get the pelletized and granulated forms from tsc and a couple of local farm supply stores. I haven’t looked into people spreading for me, I’m pretty small scale. If I can do 5 acres I’ll be stoked.

By: t-roy

Gotcha. I was gonna suggest that you could go ahead and put pelletized lime down as well as have some ag lime spread.

6 to 7 months is perfect for pelleted lime

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.