darralld 22-Sep-23
Catscratch 22-Sep-23
Hunt98 22-Sep-23
Mark Watkins 26-Sep-23
LBshooter 26-Sep-23
Catscratch 27-Sep-23

By: Hunt98
Date:22-Sep-23

Can I broadcast clover into brassica at this time of year?

The two week forecast shows no freezing temps yet. Only lows in the 40’s.

I would wait and do it early spring right before rain. You can do it now, but I would think with the seed just sitting there for a long period of time the birds might eat it.

Does your forecast show any rain? Fall seeding is usually preferable to spring for clovers as you'll get a lot less weeds. I'd also put down a nurse crop with the clover seed; winter rye or wheat.

By: Hunt98

Yes, there is forecasted rain for the next couple of days. Not a whole lot of rain though.

I wanted to do a test area to see if seeding now to see if the clover will get a head start on Amarath to choke it out.

Would the brassica prevent the clover from taking root this fall?

Date:26-Sep-23

Seed the clover now AND in the spring.....clover is one of the few plants you literallly can’t over seed too much!

Mark

Date:26-Sep-23

What if you threw clover into standing beans at this time of year? Would it take ? Maybe flourish as best as it can after the beans get harvested?

Date:27-Sep-23

LBshooter, is the bean field ag? If so your clover won't make it far before they planted it to something else by the farmer. Fall planted clover really doesn't do much until the following summer. Cereal grains are a better choice for winter forage the same year.

To answer your question; yes throwing seed into standing beans works great. I usually do it when the leaves start to yellow. I've had great luck doing this as long as there is some rain forecasted.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.