Lewis 18-Sep-23
Osceola 19-Sep-23
fuzzy 20-Sep-23
fuzzy 20-Sep-23
Osceola 20-Sep-23
goyt 20-Sep-23
Osceola 20-Sep-23

Date:18-Sep-23

There has been a lengthy drought in my area. Last fall I planted two clover plots at 8 lbs./acre and what little rain we got, nothing seemed to germinate.

I frost seeded another 3 lbs./acre this past spring. Again little rain and nothing seemed to germinate. Pretty big cracks in the ground by now.

I waited for a predicted rain event this fall, tore the ground up and replanted clover at 10 lbs/acre. It rained only 35 hundreds, and nothing since. After the rain, I did see a few, but very few plants germinate. It is still very dry.

I consider the crop failure was due to lack of rain. I used new seed and from different suppliers, soil sample was taken, fields were clean (weed free) and proper seed depth and roller packing was done.

My question is what happens to all the seed that didn't germinate. Will there be 20+ lbs of seed laying there until we do receive adequate moisture. Or does it just lose its ability to germinate?

By: Nyati

Seed can remain dormant in seed bank for years. If it started to germinate then didn’t enough moisture to fully germinate then it probably died. If it was preinnoculated clover the innoculant does have an expiration date

All seed was innoculated. The first seeding and frost seeding came inoculated. I inoculated the last planting with stuff that said use by 12-23 if opened.

By: KHNC

What is your PH per the soil test?

pH is 7.2 on one plot and 6.7 on the other. Phosphorus 62 & 51 ppm, Potassium 306 & 349 ppm, Calcium 3,417 & 4,650 ppm, and Magnesium 225 & 289 ppm, respctively per plot...all adequate to very high. Called for 60 lbs of nitrogen on one plot and 60 lbs. of nitrogen and 30 lbs Phosphate on the other.

By: Lewis

When planting clover I never add a fertilizer with any nitrogen usually a 0-20-20 or higher same with soybeans. I know that is not your problem I’m sure it’s drought problem.As someone mentioned the seed can lie dormant for a very long time so weather permitting it might come on. I would probably seed it again and see what happens. I have had native grasses come up that were probably close to 100 years old in timber we cut or prescribed burned.Good luck Lewis

Date:19-Sep-23

Projected to get an inch of rain this Friday and Saturday in all day soakers. Hopefully we get it and stuff starts to germinate.

10 day forecast still calls for highs in the low 80s and upper 70s. I for one can't wait for a little cooler weather.

By: fuzzy
Date:20-Sep-23

I predict after a soaking rain you'll see some spotty germination

By: fuzzy

I predict after a soaking rain you'll see some spotty germination

Fuzzy, would you suggest a braodcast more seed. I have tonight before the rains hit.

By: goyt

I would consider broadcasting 100 to 150 #s per acre of cereal rye. The rye should come up and survive. This will draw deer for this season and act as a nurse crop for any clover that does come up. Then check what you have for clover in the winter and frost seed as necessary.

Not a bad idea. Thanks.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.