Lewis 13-Sep-23
Lewis 13-Sep-23
LBshooter 13-Sep-23
Stressless 18-Sep-23
goyt 18-Sep-23
Stressless 19-Sep-23
BullBuster 19-Sep-23

Date:13-Sep-23

I'm starting a food plot regiment, in retirement, on a new property; more or less for fun. My question to the more experienced food plotters (all of you compared to me) is:

Do you actually see bigger and healthier deer resulting from providing food to them?

Not really. We see a lot more deer, maybe due to better fawn survival. Or maybe they relocate due to the better food sources we create. I think size is mostly affected by genetics.

So many variables it's really impossible to tell (drought, harsh winter, native browse, ag, changes in hunting pressure from neighbors, etc.). I love to plot and try to fill gaps in nutrition that I see in the area, but I likely have little to no real affect on the wild herd. I will also add that I live in a place where the deer need absolutely no help.

Yes, but most likely due to selectivity of the harvest on private lands. Being in farm country, nutrition is not a concern.

By: Nyati

It all depends on habitat and carrying capacity of the habitat . I’ve been doing food plots for close to 30 years and am killing much better deer now than at beginning. BUT, we’ve hammered does to decrease population plus we’re more selective. It really does depend on where you’re at. Surrounding property, other crops in your area or lack of them, and your carrying capacity for your habitat

Not really, but it’s something I enjoy and I feel like I’m giving back. They feed me, I feed them. Besides that, I like to watch deer, it’s actually more fun than actually killing a deer. When you kill one, it’s over, I like the journey more than the destination.

By: goyt

I guy who processes deer from my property says that they are fatter but yield about the same amount of lean meat as the average of what he processes. I think that the deer are healthier.

It may not be required but has to make healthier deer.The protein % I'm sure is higher in a fertilized ag or food plot than in just browse.

By: Lewis

Lewis 's embedded Photo

Yrs no question we have been taking more deer over 200 lbs ever since we went to putting in soybeans plots just for the critters not to mention the turkeys we also have several clover plots Good luck Lewis

By: Lewis

Lewis 's embedded Photo

Another

Plant corn and beans and leave a bunch up in winter and provide some mineral supplements and don't shoot the deer for six or so years and you'll have. Some nice deer. The secret to lee and Tiffani's herd is they have a lot of land under management and they don't hunt it. They selectively shoot deer but they let them grow over years. Granted Iowa genetics help too so it's a matter of what you have in your property. If your doing it for fun thaen have at it and enjoy.

Date:18-Sep-23

"It Depends"

If you have a bunch of AG around and other good nutrition sources than your food plots will attract rather than be a true source of their physical health.

In my case there is no AG, big hardwoods and spotty understory growth. I started 'plotting' in 2016 and learned a bunch and now have the areas producing as much as dry tonns as possible and the deer just keep coming. What I've done, due to the conditions in my area, helps the health of the local herd.

Hard to hunt between bedding and food when you do it right thou...

By: goyt
Date:18-Sep-23

Bob, great video, What I find impressive is that even though the deer feel comfortable bedding in the open during daylight hours, they are bedded in a pattern to effectively see, smell and hear approaching danger.

Date:19-Sep-23

Yep Cliff, posted up like a good squad: 360 degree coverage.

Date:19-Sep-23

i only see size improvement in years when i can get significant winter nutrition growing. and that is rare because they usually demolish everything in fall.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.