BOHUNTER09 12-Aug-23
goyt 12-Aug-23
fuzzy 12-Aug-23
drycreek 12-Aug-23
live2hunt88 12-Aug-23
goyt 12-Aug-23
fuzzy 12-Aug-23

Date:12-Aug-23

I’m new to the food plot game. I’ve got about a 1 acre field that I planted clover and winter wheat in last summer. I’m in NE Oklahoma and we had a really dry summer, food plot did decent but not well. I had a friend disc the ground for me and I fertilized and seeded after but we didn’t get rain for almost a month after doing all of that. Due to work and a Wyoming antelope hunt I didn’t have much time to wait for the right conditions so I just did what I could and hoped it would work.

This year I sprayed for weeds, mowed the grass and waited a couple weeks before working the ground. We used his tiller attachment this year and really broke the ground up good. Fertilized per soil test results and I planted green patch plus. We’ve had 3” of rain since planting sunday and the plot is starting out good.

I’ve had people tell me I need to spray the foliage in about a month to boost the plot well, I’ve had others tell me to just throw down 100lbs of triple 13 in a few weeks before a rain, and then others said to just let the rain do it’s thing and leave it be.

Im just curious what recommendations you guys have, any help or tips is greatly appreciated

I go with one and done on fall plots. Fertilizer and plant it. Nothing after that.

By: goyt

I think that you are good and need to do nothing more than what you have already done. Set your stands and cameras and stay away. Staying out of the area now becomes the most important thing.

By: fuzzy

Not sure about your area but for me the first 3 years are soil-building. Getting the pH right and putting down fertilizer with a annual like winter rye, wheat or oats. Till it in mid-spring and put down brassicas, and till those in and go back to the rye/wheat/oats, with lime to maintain pH third year start with the clover. By then the lime has built some pH buffering ability, the organic content it up enough to hold moisture and sequester nitrogen. After that you shouldn't have to do much fertilizer and only a light yearly lime application. I like perennial clover and just clip the plot as long as the clover is holding well. I do like to put some small patches of pop corn in the plots for cover and a little acessible high calorie feed when snow lays on a few days

I’m wondering why you are planting this early. I would have waited on cooler temps and a promise of rain.

Dry creek the bag said late august. We had a week of rain coming and I wanted to take advantage of that based on how little rain Oklahoma typically gets in august and September. Oklahoma doesn’t typically cool down until late October. I’ve hunted many days in early October with temps in the high 80s and low 90s

I also work in a refinery and we have a turn around coming up soon. I will be working 13 days in a row with 1 day off until it’s finished and I won’t be able to get to it so I just did what I could with the time and weather conditions.

Will this affect my plots putting in a couple weeks too early ?

By: goyt

By planting the plot early, the plants will be more mature and not as attractive to the deer during the hunting season. Also, there is probably a higher chance of a drought killing off the plots after it comes up because the weather usually has more moisture the closer to fall. If there is not a lot of better-quality food around the deer are going to eat it even if it is older. Mature bucks are pickier and will travel farther to a better food source than does. A good solution to both issues is to spread 100#/A of cereal rye just before a good rain around mid-September. The deer will love the new growth and bare spots will be filled in. If you lose the whole plot due to a lack of rain, the rye will save the season for you and improve the soil.

By: fuzzy

Got I have rye up about 3 inches high now. My plant is to let it seed and till it under in time for fresh seedlings at hunting time. We've had an unusually wet summer for the area so it seemed appropriate. New plot.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.