gjs4 21-Aug-23
drycreek 21-Aug-23
goyt 22-Aug-23
Castle Oak 23-Aug-23
c5ken 27-Aug-23
goyt 28-Aug-23

By: c5ken
Date:01-Aug-23

I will be broadcasting Ladino clover seed to my 3ac plot within the next several days. Is 5lbs per ac enough or should I go heaver? I'll also be broadcasting Rye as a cover crop at 100lbs per ac.

Suggestions....

By: JohnMC

More than 1lb but probably less than 10,000 lbs. But that is just a guess because I know about as much on planting food plots as Dana does on most the topics he/she chimes in on. ;)

1/2-1 lb/acre

By: goyt

If it is pure live seed, 5#/A is more than adequate. Look at your label and see what percent is clover seed and what the germination rate is. If it has 40% coating with 60% clover seed and a 90% germination rate then you are down to 2.7#/A live seed. You can still plant at that rate and the cereal rye will draw deer just fine this fall and you will get the clover started. Then you can frost seed more clover this winter and you should have a great stand next spring. It is hard to get a good stand of clover the first season if you are planting all perennials.

goyt,

Thanks for the advice. I bought 50# of Ladino seed today & didn't read the label. I'll do that tomorrow to see what I actually bought.

Good advice... Thank-you.

I always go heavier than recommended on clover. It’s not like brassicas, going a little heavy doesn’t hurt anything. 5-7lbs of pure seed like Goyt says, you need to account for the coating.

I have moved away from pure stands of ladino and now prefer to blend 2-3 clover varieties together. You can also add chicory and alfalfa to the mix just understand that complicates your spraying somewhat.

Good luck.

By: t-roy

^^Pat X2. You said you bought 50 lbs. Do you have plans for the remainder of the seed? Going heavy on seeding clover won’t hurt anything, other than your wallet a little. Better to go a bit on the heavy side on clover seed than too light, IMO.

Date:02-Aug-23

I've been dividing one of my plots in half and doing half clover and half chicory with great results. That way the clover doesn't choke out the chicory. It's fun to watch how the deer utilize both halves and I think the variety is good.

I'm planting 8# of coated Ladino per acre with 60# of oats or wheat. The heavier rate will help reduce noxious weeds and reduces damage due to overgrazing.

If you plant your clover in the fall, weeds are generally not an issue. The weeds that do come up will not go to seed and will die during the first cold snap. I try not to go too heavy on the cover crop as I don't want them to crowd out the clover. I am doing 40/acre on wheat/oats/rye cover crops. Just my 2c.

Winter rye is allelopathic at germination. It may not be the best nurse crop for clover. Winter wheat or oats be better.

Date:06-Aug-23

Too late to change now.....

Broadcasted about 25lbs of Ladino & 250lbs of Rye on my 3 ac food plot yesterday. After broadcasting the seed I rolled the plot with a lawn roller. Seed to ground contact looked good. The good news is it starting raining last night. And rain is forecasted all day today.. The rain is light & may get about 1/2" before its over.

By: t-roy
Date:06-Aug-23

Good to hear, Ken! Keep us posted on the progress.

Date:07-Aug-23

Got 3/4" of rain the day after I seeded my plot. The rain was a all day light rain... This just may work...

Date:07-Aug-23

I just overseed my brassica with 4#/acre of ladino clover

Date:21-Aug-23

So I planted my food plot on 8/5/23, planted 250lbs of rye & about 27 lbs of Ladino clover. The good news (I think) is got 7/8" of rain on 8/6, 1/4" rain on 8/10, on 8/11 got 1 1/2" (very heavy) lost some seed to run-off. On 8/12 got 1/4" rain, 3/4" on 8/14 & last rain was on 5/8 about 1".

Check the plot & the rye is about 4" hight & I see clover sprouting 1/4" plants. However, several areas got washed out due to all the rain. I have lots of deer in my area, it appears the Rye in not attraction deer so far. I was told deer like rye, was I misled??

By: fuzzy

Too early. They'll find it.

By: gjs4

One thing I have noted, especially with whites- is they can be coated and inoculated which would change your pd/ac (just an fyi)

Just send a little of that rain down to Texas, it’s hotter than chicken fried hell here, and drier than a popcorn fart !

Date:22-Aug-23

Deer change food sources if they have options based on what they need in their diet. This time of year, deer usually will focus more on protein and less on carbohydrates. I suspect that the deer will start eating the rye in October once their winter coats have grown, they are no long lactating, antlers are finished growing and their bodies are done growing for the year. As long as the deer do not have a better source of carbohydrates in the area they will prefer the rye over the clover in late October, November and December and until spring green up. If the rye gets really tall it may make sense to cut it so that there is new growth. However, that is seldom necessary or desirable. I have seen grains get tall and bend over so that I was concerned that they would rot. All of a sudden the deer would start eating them and mow a 5 acre field in 7-14 days. If you are going to cut it, I would do so in the first part of September so that has plenty of time to put on more volume.

Date:23-Aug-23

C5ken, put at least one exclosure on your plot. We use 2" X 4" X 4' welded wire in a 3' diameter hoop. We stake ours down with 6' metal t-posts. This "control" area will help you determine grazing pressure and provide feedback for effectiveness of herbicides.

Date:27-Aug-23

Maybe I'll put up several trail cams up to monitor deer movement in my 3ac plot...

Date:28-Aug-23

c5ken, that is a great idea. Even if you are not going to hunt on the plot it is good to know what the deer like and at what time of the year.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.