wytex 24-May-23
UPSTATE 24-May-23
blue spot 24-May-23
fuzzy 25-May-23
dizzydctr 25-May-23
outdoorlife 25-May-23
fuzzy 25-May-23

Date:24-May-23

I just planted 6000 seedlings( white oak red oak ect,) in a old grown up field, mowed and sprayed with roundup before planting, i know i am going to have trouble with the common Briers growing in the rows of trees, what chemical can i spray that will not kill the seedlings but take out the briers? or how would yall attack this problem?

By: Dale06

I’m guessing there’s no chemical solution to this issue. It wight come down to a hoe.

By: wytex

Greenbrier is a preferred browse but boy is it a pain. Burning works best for the family place in Texas.

I realize it's not optimal but those oaks should come up through the brier and actually protect them somewhat from browsing pressure.

I have found red oak is fairly resistant to Garlon. I also know Garlon works very good on things in the rose family. I expect you might have success later in the season when your oak have toughened up a bit. But like Upstate said, if it is just briers, they are good habitat, and the oak will grow up through them and over top them. People are the only thing that values "pretty" on the land scape. I am pretty sure your deer won't care.

By: fuzzy
Date:25-May-23

As said, oaks will out compete the brambles in the long term.

Before I planted thousands of oaks on my farm I would prep by subsoiling in the late fall and spraying the rips with Oust herbicide. Then I would plant my oaks with a dibble late winter or early spring. The Oust did a great job of suppressing the weed competition for the first couple of years. I believe you can spray it over young oaks as long as they are dormant, but I would suggest checking it out first with someone with expertise in the field.

SO oaks will out compete the briars?? if so im ok i do not care about the look of it, Our purpose in planting them was to create bedding years down the road not for beauty. i also like the thought of deer eating the brambles instead of my trees.

By: fuzzy

If you leave them you'll have a great wildlife nursery for a decade or so

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.