Food Plots
Messages posted to thread:
88van 10-Feb-23
t-roy 10-Feb-23
88van 10-Feb-23
t-roy 10-Feb-23

By: 88van
Date:10-Feb-23

simple question- not simple answers I know. Which is a better way to start a new food plot in area that is now grass. should I burn it now and frost seed it or wait and 'roundup', disc, and plant. It is a new plot that is grass now and about 80 yards by 60 yards. I have a tractor and 5 ft disc, so I can wait until spring. I would like to do something now to get some green up by April turkey season. But don't know if the burn/frost seed is a good choice. All advice is greatly appreciated.

By: t-roy

What are you planning to plant in this plot?

By: 88van

clover, maybe with some chickory.

By: t-roy

Personally, I would probably burn it off and disc it up thoroughly ASAP, so the ground has a chance to hopefully go through a few freeze/thaw cycles, which seems to help break up the dirt clumps, somewhat. Then, I would wait until the remaining grass starts to green up, and hit it with glyphosate (on a warmer day, if possible) to hopefully kill all of the grass to the roots. Next, I would wait a week or so, then sow some oats, lightly disc or drag the plot, to cover the oats and smooth the plot a little more. If you have access to a cultipacker, even better. Then, sow your clover/chicory seed, and then cultipack that seed in. The oats will give you the green up you desire, plus it will act as a nurse crop for your clover/chicory.

That’s one option. This wouldn’t work in Iowa, but I see you’re in Kansas, so I’m assuming the lack of any frost in the ground and much warmer early spring temps in your area would make this plan feasible.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.