Huntiam 25-Jul-22
scentman 26-Jul-22
scentman 26-Jul-22
Mad Trapper 27-Jul-22
Stressless 27-Jul-22
Stressless 27-Jul-22
t-roy 27-Jul-22

Date:19-Jul-22

I normally rotate my brassicas with grains. I started wondering though, can I plant brassicas in the same field every Fall of the fields are planted with buckwheat in the spring/summer? Is that considering a rotation, or should I stick with my normal routine? The deer near me love brassicas compared to grains.

Is your plot big enough to have cereal grains, winter peas, clover in one half and brassica in the other half. Do two years of brassica in the same plot, leaving the other one to grow up in clover the following spring. Mow the cereals after maturity and some of them will re-seed voluntarily that next fall.

After two years of brassicas, reverse the fields and your nitrogen loving brassicas will be off to a good start from the legumes-clover and peas that were there previously.

More than two years of brassicas in the same plot can lead to some toxicity problems I have read.

Good luck!

That is a good idea. I can definitely do that. I have an old clover plot now that is not doing well. I may just disc it and plant brassicas. Thanks

Date:20-Jul-22

H4W is spot on. 2, maybe 3 years tops for brassicas then get something else in there for 2,3 years. I’m doing that now in Ohio. Planting my brassicas 8/1.

Date:25-Jul-22

That’s what I do buckwheat in summer brassica and winter rye fall I’ve done it for a lot more than 2 yrs on 3 different 1-2 acre plots no problems for me here

Date:26-Jul-22

scentman's embedded Photo

Hab, I will apply your recommendation to my plot.

Date:26-Jul-22

How do I rotate the pics? Neighbor is doing all the work, he loves this stuff! I pay for fuel and seed he preps it all... he is 35 and has alot of energy! ;0]

Date:27-Jul-22

Are you guys planting rye with your brassicas?

N = Nitrogen

Inoculated legumes will drive N into the soil so either that or amend with N as both brassica and rye are N consumers.

Around zone 5 you shouldn't plant rye at the same time as brassicas for maximum yield/palatablity, plant the brassica 12-13 weeks prior to first frost. 4 weeks after planting if no N producing crop.

Rye should be planted 8-9 weeks before first frost, since they are both N consumers it has to be there or they'll compete and both will stunt.

You can find you "First Frost Date" by most any means ZIP, CITY, STATE etc here: https://www.almanac.com/gardening/frostdates.

N = Nitrogen

Inoculated legumes will drive N into the soil so either that or amend with N as both brassica and rye are N consumers.

Around zone 5 you shouldn't plant rye at the same time as brassicas for maximum yield/palatablity, plant the brassica 12-13 weeks prior to first frost. 4 weeks after planting if no N producing crop.

Rye should be planted 8-9 weeks before first frost, since they are both N consumers it has to be there or they'll compete and both will stunt.

You can find you "First Frost Date" by most any means ZIP, CITY, STATE etc here: https://www.almanac.com/gardening/frostdates.

By: t-roy

^^^Agree with stressless. The adage “July 29, rain or shine” is fairly accurate in our area, for planting brassicas. I usually plant cereal grains in our area anytime after September 1st. If planted too early, they can get pretty tall and stemmy, and it seems their palatability is greatly reduced.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.