wisconsinteacher 02-May-22
GFL 03-May-22
GFL 03-May-22
drycreek 03-May-22
keepemsharp 03-May-22
GFL 03-May-22

By: Hunt98
Date:29-Apr-22

I’ve been considering puting in a one acre corn food plot.

The deer density in the area is not very high.

Would you recommend electric fencing?

By: Hunt98

By: Shawn

No, soybeans yes corn the deer will not bother with until it starts to silk out and even than they don't normally hammer it. Crows and turkeys may be an issue as they walk down the rows and pull out the fresh sprout and eat the seed. Shawn

By: t-roy

I wouldn’t have a single ear of corn in my plots, if I didn’t fence them. Granted, my deer numbers are pretty high, but even a few deer can put the hurt on your corn, if given the chance. If you have the time and the resources, it’s definitely worth it, IMO.

T-roy x2. On my Ohio ground the corn gets hammered by deer, on my NY ground the turkey will scratch up each row. Fencing is helpful in OH, not very helpful in NY. The first year you may be OK, but once the deer and turkeys figure it out they will destroy a 1 acre corn plot.

Date:30-Apr-22

I would advise putting in sorghum rather than corn.For some reason deer will leave it alone while growing.The taller stuff looks like corn growing.Easy to grow,drill or broadcast.

Date:30-Apr-22

I hunt a vegetable farm whereas they stagger-plant about 25 acres of sweet corn. As it grows deer get a decent percentage of it.

By: timex
Date:01-May-22

Been many years ago a farm I hunted on the land owner would always plant about 6-8 acres of corn along a field edge that boarded a creek bottom then around the middle of December he would beat it down & the entire food chain would be there. ...normal farming practices or baiting ??? Don't know. What I do know is the ducks, geese, doves, quail; rabbits, squirrel, deer, bear, turkey & whatever else knew it was there.

By: LINK

Id just plant the corn. Surely the deer won’t eat it all. Then during season I’d reseed it at a very heavy rate(that’s how it works best in the fall). Everyone knows that would be nothing like hunting a “failure pile”. ;)

By: goyt

One year we had about 40 acres of corn spread over 500 acres. In September I had the game warden look at a 5-acre field in an effort to get some kill permits. He could not find an ear of corn left and would not issue permits to protect something that was no longer there.

That makes perfect sense, goyt!…Typical governmental reasoning.

Another problem with deer/corn;they nip off the "silk" and it won't produce.One acre is not enough if you have any number of deer.Turkeys also are tough on it when it first comes up.Like I said sorghum is a better bet.For some reason deer have been in our sorghum plots all winter and spring;don't know what part they are feeding on. Most sorghum is advertised as wild bird feed/cover;varies from 2'-7'. I have been using the Pheasant Forever blends for 4 years;they are fast,free shipping and decent prices.Easy to broadcast or drill.

t-roy, to add to insanity, he felt bad about not being able to issue permits because he knew that there would be even more deer next year if some does were not shot. He said that at the very first sign of deer damage the next season he would issue some permits. However, the deer would need to be killed before August 15th. If it was too hot to salvage the meat I was to bury them. Of course if the does were nursing the fawns were going to starve or be killed by predators while crying for their mother. ODNR did not want deer damage permits being filled during the hunting season. I want nothing to do with it. I usually have plenty of outlets for the meat and December and January would be great months to take does with good conditions to handle the meat. July and August not so much.

That’s nuts, Cliff! In keeping with making no sense, you might need to keep it fenced off till after the season is over, then take the fencing down.

We have our farm fields leased out to a farmer who now has them in high quality hay for dairy cows. The fields get utilized by the deer almost every day of the year except when they are covered by a layer of ice like they were for about 10 to 14 days this winter. The farmer is still making enough hay to make it worth his while. I plant about 12 food plots just for deer food and to create movement. In a couple of years, the farmer will want to take the farm fields out of hay for at least one year and I doubt that he will want to fence them. Hopefully we can work something out because I do not want to plant them. Oats and wheat should handle the pressure if he would be happy with one of them.

Even in low density areas, 1 acre will be gone before you get a chance to hunt it. New varieties of corn usually only have one or two ears on them per stalk. I was told by my farmer, the research showed a bigger yield with 1 big cob than several small ones.

Date:02-May-22

It all depends on your deer density, if it is crazy high you will need fencing, if not too bad, you should be good. We plant an acre with no serious deer issues, our issue is more the raccoons than the deer. Our deer numbers are at an all time high, but not out of hand. Also, we live in an area with plenty of corn in the surrounding ag fields so that may help us out as well. BC

sorghum you have to know what you are planting as you want grain for food and its time to plant pretty soon.Milo as we call it gets hammered when in doughy stage and then again alittle later.Between coon,birds and deer there won't be an anything left of an acre.

By: timex

I ran a custom app sprayer for a farm chemical company for many years. Hands down when spraying sorghum in the fall more deer & critters come out of that stuff than all other crops combined. We would spray it in the fall to kill it prior to harvest in not it just won't give up. I never saw any significant deer damage in sorghum I think they just like the cover it provides.

By: pav

We planted three acres of corn in back to back years. Not an ear left in the field either year by mid-October. Never again.

Not sure where you are in MN, but if you have bears around, they will most likely get in the corn and flatten the field. I know if I planted corn, the bears would be in there like crazy.

By: GFL
Date:03-May-22

I plant corn and a sorghum mix most years. They definitely wipe it out early. It’s still great cover and they tend to eat the stalks on the sorghum through winter. Extremely high deer numbers.

GFL's embedded Photo

Wild Game Sorghum and Truckers field corn mix.

I planted corn……once. That night the hogs went down the rows and ate every damn kernel ! I think I had two stalks that made it.

Coons will destroy it in our country.

I keep the coons wiped out

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.