groundhunter50 10-Mar-22
Keith 11-Mar-22
jmiller 11-Mar-22
APauls 11-Mar-22
12yards 11-Mar-22
Rickm 11-Mar-22
Michael 11-Mar-22

Date:09-Mar-22

Anybody seeing some whitetails struggling? MN is having a pretty tough winter in some areas. Even in central MN the deer are looking stressed. Up north could be tough.

Fortunately, central Iowa has been relatively "normal" this year. Stretches of cold and snow but intermixed with warmer and sunny.

Sask deer are having a tough one. Lots of snow with a crust on it. It needs to break soon or it will be more than just fawn mortality.

By: LKH

Central Montana. Winter has been very easy as far as snow goes. Not much at all. Our trouble is the drought was very bad on top of grasshoppers eating most of the grazing in many areas. We have large groups of deer in places you don't normally see them. If we get a long bad storm in Apr/May it will be tough on them.

By: APauls
Date:10-Mar-22

No idea if they are struggling in MB. I wouldn't be able to find them in the 4 feet of snow. Only good thing is that November/December was relatively warm and snow free before we got pummelled in January and February with tons of snow and wicked cold and stormy temps. First above freezing temps in the forecast for next week....FINALLY!!!

Yes, our December was above average temps, but we had no acorns to speak of in MN last year which I think really helps deer bulk up for winter. Also, due to drought, our crops were not great. Seeing deer on the roadside under pines looking kind of rough right now. Turkeys are taking a hit too. Lots of snow in the woods.

By: Keith

UP Michigan: It's bad. Approaching 300 inches and no thaw this year.

The winter has not been horrible . I do not have the severity index at this time. As I understand it there is a point for every day below zero F and a point for every day with more than 18" of snow cover . I am not sure I am accurate .

Well I am in the UP, and its a diverse area. I am in southern Iron County, We have about12 inches in the woods. Mild weather coming in now. Deer are in good shape,,,,, so alot depends on where you are at. North of M28, there is always alot of snow. Have no idea where Keith is at,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

No snow here. Supposed to pick up a little this weekend. Predicting 6 or so inches.

Last weekend was the break. We had days leading up that it got into the 40’s. Then 50’s by last Friday. 70 over the weekend. Lots of wind though. Serious wind.

There hasn’t been enough crusty, laying snow here for a long time to hurt the deer or turkeys. This winter was very mild as well. First time I ever remember winter lows not getting in double digit negatives for a spell.

Didn’t bother me one but either.

Southern New England has had a mild winter. Wind has been vicious on some days, but I've also put fifty miles on my road bicycle so far with temperatures in the forties since February.

12yards's Supporting Link

greenmountain, in MN it is 1 point for every day 0 degrees or less, and 1 point for every day w/ 15" of snow.

KS/MO border area so far…

Not much snow, or cold really. We get a little of each followed quickly by nice warm-ups. Don’t believe the herd has been negatively impacted. That is just a layperson’s assessment.

Groundhunter: I'm in the Keweenaw.

Ok. Oh yeah, that is always where the snow is at. Is the state and locals running a feeding program? Great snowmobiling..... Still great bucks shot up there. I see on the survey that Houghton and Octanogon counties had significant better buck size kill, last season........... My wife is a jam maker, and loves the jam pot................. thimbleberries is always tough for her to hit right,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, stay well

Date:11-Mar-22

Groundhunter: Yes, there are a few feeding programs run by local clubs; no state involvement. The deer pop. is low, but there are big deer. It's been a long winter, hoping for a spring this year. Many years, it goes from winter to summer.

Here in southeastern ND the deer herd looks good. The windy winter has kept fields blown off and there is also browse in the river valleys. We have 10 to 20 deer each evening on our property and they look good.

By: APauls

I've never seen a sick looking deer at the end of winter. Their fur is so thick you are never going to see ribs. They're dead long before that. IMO I wouldn't trust my judgement about what a healthy deer does or doesn't look like up here this time of year.

I agree APauls. They can look a bit shaggy this time of year even when they are fine.

By: Rickm

NE ohio had a couple weeks of deep snow with ice from warm up and freezing rain. Other than that a normal to mild winter here.

The line in Minnesota for harsher conditions is central Minnesota. I live in the SW part of the state and most fields have very little snow. I drive up to my parents house in OTC and they have 3’ of snow. Temps have been 10 to 15 degrees different between the two all year.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.