midwest 18-Nov-21
t-roy 18-Nov-21
35-Acre 18-Nov-21
35-Acre 18-Nov-21
Hunt98 18-Nov-21
Saphead 25-Nov-21
goyt 25-Nov-21

Date:17-Nov-21

The last few years we have been mowing down 1/4 acre with a weed eater and it does the job but is work. Next year I will have a couple acres to do. For anyone that doesn't have a tractor what are you using? Would a hedge trimmer work better or worse than a weed eater? A hedge trimmer is basically like a small sickle mower right? For those with a tractor does a finish mower or flail mower work better?

By: JohnMC

Get some goats ;)

By: t-roy

How bout just a regular old riding mower??

By: Dale06

I’d rent a riding lawn mower or borrow one.

Are you mowing just to cut it short or are you mowing for the purpose of putting up hay?

Date:18-Nov-21

Why not a push mower? The clover in my yard responds well to it.

I think I remember Bowfreak making a custom push mower for that purpose. Just put some bigger wheels on it to raise it up. Maybe he'll chime in.

I can’t imagine mowing a 1/4 acre of clover with a weed wacker. You, my friend, are dedicated!

By: DanaC

If you don't want to use your 'good' 'home' mower, look on your local Craigslist for a beater.

I use a beater riding mower I bought off Market Place for $300. Works great in places I cannot get a tractor.

I dont use a riding mower because the deck wont raise high enough. I dont want it lower than 6-8" high. I am not getting hay just weed control and fresh growth that is like a magnet for the deer shortly after cutting. I have considered taller wheels on a cheap mower to accomplish this. The comment about goats would be good for all of the buckthorn around but thats it. Does anyone have experience with a flail mower vs. finish mower if I would look into buying a tractor?

Have you considered a pull behind mower like a Swisher? Pull with ATV. I've got a 60" finish mower but it won't adjust that high. I think 4" is tallest since it's a finish mower. Look for a rough cut mower - it adjust to your wanted height.

If you had a tractor then it might make sense to get a sickle mower for it. A shredder would also do the job and could handle thicker brush and volunteer trees. But buying a tractor is a big investment and tough to justify if you're only using it to mow two acres a few times a year.

Best option for the money might be to hire a nearby farmer to swing by and mow it when he's set up to cut some hay. It may even work out that he will pay you if he can bale the cutting. Of course that's not as much fun as getting a tractor but it will save you thousands of dollars.

I use a large zero turn riding mower for most of my plot needs.

I have considered a battery or gas powered hedge clipper (like mentioned) attached to a 2 wheeled "mover's dolly" as a form of non-motorized sickle bar, but never built it.

Given a choice I would use a flail mower over a brushhog style, but I don't have that choice. Your finish mowers tend to leave wind-rows if there's much vegetation.

By: lewis

What Pat said Damn Good luck Lewis

Did you get any feedback anywhere, about your idea of putting taller wheels on a mower? I’m looking at getting a zero turn mower to mow some tight areas and under my E fences, and was wondering myself, about the possibility of putting higher profile tires on it to be able mow the clover off higher, as you alluded to, as well.

midwest's embedded Photo

Troy's mower...

Not quite…..I like “green” paint ;-)

35-Acre's Supporting Link

35-Acre's Supporting Link

This was a topic earlier this year with some ideas. I've recently read a study (after setting up my field mower) that mowing clover negatively effects deer in the plot. If I recall correctly it was a QDMA study.

So a simpler solution would be to get more deer to eat things down faster - wouldn't it? LOL

https://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=493763&messages=7&forum=4

By: Hunt98

I have used an old Jari sickle mower and pushed down on the handles some to raise the sickle up for the desired height.

Date:25-Nov-21

Rent something

By: goyt
Date:25-Nov-21

I just hire a local guy to mow mine. He has a large, several acre yard that he keeps mowed. In a few hours he can mow 6-8 acres for me. I give him a key to the gates so he can do it anytime he wants once they need to be cut. He and his wife love to fish. I have a couple ponds that cover about 12 acres with an osprey, herons, ducks, geese and other wildlife. They feel that it is just like going to Canadian to fish there so I let them fish during the off season. For me it beats having to buy, store and maintain a tractor.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.