Catscratch 05-Oct-21
jboutdoorguy 06-Oct-21
txhunter58 10-Oct-21

Date:12-Aug-21

Is it OK to just "throw and go" Winter Rye and not cultipack

Date:12-Aug-21

its too early but yes

Date:13-Aug-21

I’m in Western New York. When would you suggest planting ?

Western PA here and we plant Labor Day weekend.

I'm now interested in ALL threads about food plots!!

Damn!!!! I need to look closer into this cultipacking!!!

By: t-roy

Not sure about winter rye, but Reshmi reminds us that you can sow your wild oats almost anytime. Might want to do a germination test on them first, though……..

t-roy for the win!!!!!

Good thing I’m not a CNN legal analyst

By: KHNC

I planted Rye in SC 2 weeks ago. Green and lush already. Im going to overseed again in two weeks. I didnt cultipack.

Mine went in last week in the UP of MI. I did not cultipack either. I throw and grow before a rain.

Date:18-Aug-21

Sowing your seed in front of, or during a decent moisture event is surely the best... ;D

Date:18-Sep-21

If before a heavy rain, there is no need. One consequence I have observed is germination is notably slower and takes place over a long period.

By: Mark S
Date:20-Sep-21

I planted quite a bit as a cover crop for a switch grass planting next year. I now see threads that it may not work for switch because of its residual allopathic effect. Does anybody know if this is the case even if sprayed in spring when planting? Thanks

Date:21-Sep-21

I have an interesting dilemma. Planted a half acre of winter rye a little over a week ago before predicted rainfall. It is a new plot that I burned down with gly and tilled several times. Drug it prior to planting and got a pretty smooth seedbed. I did not drag it after broadcasting the seed like I normally do. Well the rain finally came... too much rain. We had 6 inches in two days of constant rain. I can see the plot from my house and it was mostly covered by a sheet of water for two days. Checked it today and found a lot of the seed have germinated and are laying on top of the soil with the roots exposed. I will try and get a photo later, if it ever stops raining. Pretty sure these seeds are toast and will not grow. I figure the seeds floated in the water and germinated without any soil contact and then as the water drained they were deposited on top of the soil, some concentrated in low spots where they were washed. I will let the plot go and see what it looks like before I overseed it. I have an extra 100 pounds of seed that I was planning to overseed anyway.

Date:22-Sep-21

Mother Nature is full of wonder. Went to take a photo of the plot and to my amazement the sea of germinated rye seeds laying on top of the soil didn't look the same. A lot of the white germinated seed roots were not as visible. With a little soil contact they had found there way into the soil and may be viable after all. There is still a lot of visible seeds with sprouts, but not near as many... and most of those are in the washed areas. I still plan to overseed after a couple weeks.

GhostBird's embedded Photo

I think you’re going to be surprised how many of them will take root. Definitely preferred to disk them in a bit but I will often just broadcast oats and rye on top of the soil and after a couple rains they are sprouting up. The only scenario that is bad is if they germinate and it goes bone dry for weeks. Then they’re toast. Good luck.

Still raining a little today and forecast is dry for the next week; but cool, low 50's/high 70's... I think the plot will be OK. Will report back in a couple of weeks.

Date:05-Oct-21

GhostBird's embedded Photo

Two weeks later my plot looks like this. Not as bad as I thought it would look. You can see the worst washed areas. Convinced if I had cultipacked, or in my case at least dragged the plot after broadcasting the seeds, it would have done better.

Overseeded 100 pounds of additional seed, focusing on the bare spots. Will report back after a couple more weeks.

Plot looks great considering the conditions it's been through. It's amazing how far a root will reach to find dirt. I do TnM so I've seen this many times. I think the 100lbs of overseeding is a great idea (if you have some rain in the forecast).

Date:06-Oct-21

jboutdoorguy's MOBILE embedded Photo

Thought I would share a pic of my second seeding of rye this fall. This was broadcast on top of the soil and not cultipacked 6 days ago.

Date:10-Oct-21

Good thread

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.