Stressless 08-Jun-21
Catscratch 08-Jun-21
Catscratch 08-Jun-21
Catscratch 08-Jun-21
Mark S 28-Jul-21
KHNC 03-Aug-21
BullBuster 03-Aug-21

Date:30-May-21

I planted Winter Rye last year and it was a success. I want to plant it again this Labor Day in the same plot.

My question is if I keep it cut low all Summer...can I avoid spraying to kill it and just disc it in before replanting?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Yes. Winter rye will mature in summer and die. When, depends on where in the country you live. No need to spray unless weeds take it over.

By: LINK

It should turn brown in a few weeks. Burn it, mow it whatever suits you. If you disk it before a rain in late August/early September you might not need to plant as it would reseed itself. Planting over it at a reduced rate would ensure a better stand. I would bet you’d need to spray or disk at least twice this summer though to keep your weeds at a minimum.

By: sjj
Date:01-Jun-21

sjj's embedded Photo

Is this Winter Rye? Not sure what the yellow weed is

The plant that looks like Rye to me is going to seed?

sjj's embedded Photo

Hard to see your pics on my phone but it looks like WR. Should be a seed head like wheat but with longer beards and a plant with a somewhat blueish tent to it.

yes, agreed...I believe that is what it is...should I keep it from going to seed if I intend clover this fall?

Make double sure it's not a perennial rye. Most winter rye is an annual. Should it be perennial, you'll have to kill it.

Date:02-Jun-21

Catscratch's embedded Photo

Yes...I planted the WR in the fall and it is what I have. It is keeping other weeds away but looks to be forming seeds...planning on Clover this fall

To answer your question about letting your WR go to seed; winter rye (any cereal) makes a great nurse crop for fall planted clovers! I let mine go to seed every year, doesn't bother anything and is considered free benefits to me. It does not take over in a way that will inhibit your fall clover plantings. The above pic is self seeded WR, I haven't seeded (or bought seed) WR for 3 yrs.

Date:03-Jun-21

thank you

Catscratch - that appears to be awnless winter rye in the second "seedhead" pic well done. I find the criters like the awnles much better.

Thanks, and yes sir it is awnless. Fun to watch a bachelor group spend the evening stripping heads, and it provides a nice carb/protein source in the heat of summer when other plants are starting to store protein in their roots. Also nice to plant something once that covers several seasons of use.

Date:05-Jun-21

I can’t find awnless winter wheat anywhere in WV. Most of the feed store guys don’t even know what I’m talking about

By: welka

Overseed all my clover plots every 3rd year with 50# cereal rye and always use it as a cover crop for new clover. Also plant it alone as a fall planting as it will likely be the last "green field" you have left for later in the season, stays green under the first snows, and will be the first "green field" in the spring (unlike oats or winter wheat). Super easy to plant, not as pH dependent as many other seeds and the secret to deer attraction for late season as you will have the only green field around in many cases. Good luck.

"I can’t find awnless winter wheat anywhere in WV. Most of the feed store guys don’t even know what I’m talking about".

It's actually cheaper here than regular wheat due to lack of demand. Just call down to the CO-OP and they will have it ready for me to pick up in a week.

welka - It's always interesting to me to chat with the guys from around different parts of the country in regards to plots. Wheat for me stays green all winter and has a huge difference in regards to draw for the deer. I've regularly watched deer walk right through WR to spend an hour in the wheat. No comparison as to which one they prefer in this part of the world.

I have cereal plots but overseed wheat and rye into my clovers to help soak up excess nitrogen produced by the legumes. Less grass issues in my clover plots that way. Do it every fall.

By: welka
Date:07-Jun-21

Agree and true about some oats and wheat on preference for most places. However, if you only plant rye, they hit it like oats/wheat AND you it is the first green in the spring - even in the south so worth it vs dead wheat/oats in spring.

Date:07-Jun-21

I haven't messed with oats for quite a while. I couldn't get it to Throw-n-mow well so I've been leaving it out of my mixes. Wheat doesn't turn brown here or die in the spring, probably a huge reason for why I like it so much... that and deer prefer it over rye. I can't get a deer to eat a turnip to save my life but they love the pumpkins I plant. Goofy things!

Date:08-Jun-21

Stressless's MOBILE embedded Photo

My rye plot last winter. they hit it like a finish blade mower...

Interesting discourse:

Here's a couple good "coffee and Stirgus" vids. I've tried Winter Wheat, Rye, awnless and non-awnless. Rye is much more forgiving than winter wheat in mid OH for my soils. Suggest you give a listen and pick up discussion WRT what might work where you are.

Stressless's MOBILE embedded Photo

This is in mid Nov, plot kept producing thru this turkey season in Apr. No question cereal grains should have a place in management practices.

Sturgis is good but he is completely wrong on some things and irrelevant on some others.

These pics are from this morning (sorry they aren't better, it was very foggy). Sturgis said in the above video that cereals are completely worthless after spring green up... It's early June and I have deer every morning and evening hammering the wheat. The rye has been ignored since day one, but the wheat is getting use way after spring green up. I would much rather have something that gets use in the fall/winter/spring/summer than something that gets use in the fall/spring.

@Catscratch interesting. You left out -winter- forage for Rye - it grows when the soil is 37F or above and in mid OH in 20-21 winter that was a bunch.

Maybe you sell Winter Wheat? LoL but Jeff's point(s) on feeding/attraction after spring greenup are:

1) There is more browse then deer can eat after green-up 2) Bucks ranges are different (depending on locality) in Spring and Summer than Fall and Winter.

Pretty pics but it's not hunting season.

If winter wheat grew as well or better than rye on my plots then I'd prolly hedge and mix it in. It doesn't and that's really the point. Rye where I am is the draw due to it being the best, consistent forage Fall/Winter/Spring.

Plant the best cereal grains for your locality and herd management outcomes. Which is exactly what he discusses in the videos.

Be well.

Stressless - Lol, you are right that I came on strong for wheat. I don't sell any seed and have nothing to gain. Funny thing is my thoughts during the Sturgis video's was; "he must have stock in WR". Sturgis talks in absolutes a lot. Both those videos were 100% about the virtues of WR over WW. I feel that is a disservice to plotters, which is exactly the point you are elegantly making to me; different things for different situations. I see a lot online saying WR over WW and feel it discourages people from trying other things. If I had went straight to rye and never planted wheat I wouldn't have known how much better it is on my place. In that regard I do advocate trying "the other stuff" that some don't encourage.

As much as I dislike people talking in absolutes I understand I just sort of did just that. You were very polite in calling me out on that. I appreciate it.

ps - I just got back home and they are still in the plots. They've shifted to my clovers/chicory/rye mixes. And rest assured, there will be something there for them during hunting season (and every other part of the year).

Much better pics now that the fog has lifted. You can see rye, even though I am advocating the wheat I still have a use for rye. It just isn't much for deer food here.

By: Mark S
Date:28-Jul-21

interesting thread. I'm planning on planting some switchgrass late winter/spring next year. Wondering what the best cover crop to plant this fall for it? Winter Rye Soybean something else? Too late for buckwheat. I'd like something to keep weeds down this late summer/fall and if it can help thru early summer when the switch starts - or is that unrealistic?

Thanks guys.

By: KHNC
Date:03-Aug-21

I tried Switchgrass in upstate SC this year. Didnt come up at all. Complete waste of money. But Rye will grow terrific.

Date:03-Aug-21

I find SG to be extremely finicky. It can’t stand competition. If I were u I’d either plant an annual clover then kill it completely before planting in spring, or have a clean clean seedbed to plant in early fall or late summer depending on your moisture and temps.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.