Pat Lefemine 30-May-21
Pat Lefemine 30-May-21
GFL 01-Jun-21
Stressless 02-Jun-21
Pat Lefemine 02-Jun-21
IVFDOC 30-Nov-21

By: c5ken
Date:28-Apr-21

For the 2nd year in a row, I hit my clover plot with 6oz of Imox & 3 pints of Nitro surf per ac. I tested the spray rate of my sprayer (as recommended on this form) and drove my ATV/Spryer at about 7mph. Two weeks after spraying my field, the weeds/grass is thriving and my clover looks wilted. I'm SO DONE with Imox....

I did the same about 10 days ago and while the grass is not yellow yet, it has not grown much, so I'm hoping it will do the trick. I know it can take a few weeks. I also cut my grass, then waited about 4-5 days until I sprayed. If your grass was over 5" tall, then that could be why?

i've had bad luck with it myself... i went back to cleth and butarac

I use volunteer as it's about the cheapest cleth replacement,mix with crop oil

By: Shiloh

I have not had good luck with it cleaning up leftover wheat and oats. I will probably be going back to cleth and 2-4db as well

By: Ollie

I have found that you need a spray tank concentration of about 2% or you are just wasting expensive pesticide with minimal weed kill.

I also have had better results with 2-4db and Clethodim

By: pav

I typically have great success with Imox in the spring. Not so much later in the summer.

Date:29-Apr-21

Stressless's MOBILE embedded Photo

C5ken - LoL

You put down everything BUT the actual most important factor - What rate did you apply per acre?

IMOX was developed as a water born herbicide, it was adapted to land use. As such it works better, wetter.

An example, At the same nozzle PSI at 7MPH HOW MUCH SPRAY VOLUMN PER ACRE in total gallons. That's what you add the 6oz of IMOX and adjuvant to.

SO for IMOX look at your sprayer nozzle tip chart and go SLOWER MPH and HIGHER PSI to put down more GALLONS/acre Like my sprayer Nozzle chart I increased the Gallons per acre by 100% by going 2mph slower and increase the PSI by 10.

That gives you the Gallons that will be spread per acre and that's the amount of water you add the rate of IMOX and adjuvant you want to put down per acre.

At 30PSI and 5MPH I add 6 oz of IMOX and adjuvant to 10 Gallons of water

At 40PSI and 3MPH I add 6oz of IMOX and adjuvant to 20 Gallons of water.

It's totally dependent on your Nozzle PSI, speed of application.

With my Gly and 24D applications, I use the 10/GPA PSI and Speed as it's not better wetter,

FOr IMOX Wetter is better so I use the 20/GPA rate.

I hope that helps, IMOX won't recover a field full of grasses BUT it will recover a struggling field.

Good info Stressless. I put mine down at a rate of 10gpa. I might try it one more time using your recommendations.

Date:30-Apr-21

I knew better from a previous application a few years ago but applied 4 oz/acre, 25 gallons of spray/acre on my clover fields this spring to try to kill wild mustard that had not responded to 2,4 db. It did a great job on the damn mustard but also stunted my ladino clover. In some areas it looks like it eradicated the clover. However, some of the volunteer clover( we call Persian clover around here) thrived and took over parts of the field. Upon finishing the job, I applied the remainder in the tank to a one acre field where I had drilled a blend of wheat, oats, rye and crimson clover. I am amazed at the difference between the field I sprayed where the crimson clover is only a few inches tall and another unsprayed field where the crimson clover is over knee high. Maybe I did something wrong, but think I will save the imox for my Clearfield sunflowers and try to find another alternative for my clover fields. I will try to take pictures to post and compare.

I use IMOX but will agree that it can be frustrating. What I have found is that I have to go pretty hot on the mix, probably 8-10oz per acre for the best results and hit the field when everything is really young. It has done a fantastic job on the grass, but some weeds don't respond at all, like Dock, and a few others. I ended up hitting my field twice, once with 2,4DB and once with a hot dose of IMOX to kill the deadnettles that 2,4DB didn't affect. Even after that 1/2 punch I still have some invasives that are beat up but still hanging in there.

This 5 acre field was killed off last year good. It looked like the moon when I planted my clover last September. But the weeds still came up this year and I'm throwing the book at it since it's a virgin field and I don't want weeds to get a foothold.

Spraying perennial fields for weed control is a PIA. I much prefer grains and annuals. So much easier.

By: Squash

I to am leaning towards annuals, disk, fertilize, cultipack and your done. Tired of dealing with those chemicals and if you don’t get it right , poor result.

Jackaroo's Supporting Link

Get one of these

Date:01-May-21

Yep Jackaroo that laser zapper looks cost effective for my half acre plots. Haha

By: t-roy
Date:01-May-21

Does it come with a squirrel laser adapter??

Date:03-May-21

I sprayed Imox at 6oz/acre 2.5 weeks ago. I had cut the grass once, then allowed it a couple days to grow. I checked my plot over the weekend and while the grass had not yellowed much yet, it had not grown as evidenced by a small strip that I must have missed with the sprayer on a turn. The grass in the strip was about 18" tall and the sprayed grass/weeds had not grown much at all.

Date:04-May-21

Longbow42, that's a good indication that it's working. IMOX is not like Glyfo, 2,4DB, or 2-4D. It's is a slow, gradual kill. Unfortunately that's one of the issues since you can't really tell if its working or if you may have screwed it up.

I sprayed IMOX a month ago and now I'm starting to see the effects in the grass and certain invasives which are turning yellow and are no longer growing while my clover is doing well.

A couple of things to watch out for besides application rate is to add enough surfacant so it can stick to the plant tissue. Also, your water PH may have a negative effect on IMOX and other herbicides. Not all sprayers are created equal, I am getting much better kills on my big 30' boom sprayer where the nozzles spray straight down, as opposed to the no-boom sprayers which broadcast the spray in an arc.

There probably a lot more that can go wrong with IMOX than Cleth and 2,4DB so if you are skeptical then stick with the original formula. I still use both.

And don't forget that if you are planting clover, regular clipping is extremely effective for weed suppression and some guys don't even bother with spraying.

Whatever you do, don't try that weak glyfo solution technique on clover that's been advocated by some "habitat guys" thats a good way to create glyfo resistance in weeds.

Good luck.

Date:05-May-21

"Whatever you do, don't try that weak glyfo solution technique on clover that's been advocated by some "habitat guys" thats a good way to create glyfo resistance in weeds. "

Date:05-May-21

yup -

Date:21-May-21

I struggled with IMOX/Clearcast/Raptor until I recognized that I was spraying too late. In southern Ohio if I spray no later than the first week of April, it works well. Allow about a month to see full results. After the first week of April the results are not good.

Date:24-May-21

"Whatever you do, don't try that weak glyfo solution technique on clover that's been advocated by some "habitat guys" thats a good way to create glyfo resistance in weeds." I agree with this statement. A bunch of years ago I read Ed Spinz's book, he advocates (or did in the book) a light mix to kill weeds in clover patches. So, I tried it twice in 6 years, mowed a couple of times each year and it worked great. Now, 8 years later I do other methods. Does anyone know if doing this every third or fourth year will create Gly resistance weeds? I was thinking about trying Imox, but now don't think I will. BC

Looked at some of the fields that I sprayed with Imox about 7 weeks ago yesterday. They are pretty clean except for the cereal grains that were more mature than I would have liked at the time of application. Kind of scratching my head on if it’s worth the cost.

Went a little hot on IMOX on some plots o/a 17 Apr. Farm's in Mid OH.

The rate was 6.5oz/IMOX at 20Gals / acre. Took this yesterday and you can see the grasses are tip turning brown and clover looking good. It did retard the clover for a couple weeks. Other plots that got 3-3.5oz acre Clover is going very good grasses weakened - we'll see in a couple weeks.

Broadleaf weeds are also hit - and not competing by the looks of it.

By: GFL

GFL's embedded Photo

Sprayed with imox 6 weeks ago. Same results with 6 other fields.

Date:25-May-21

@GFL what rate did you apply and what lattidtude are you? 6 weeks ago in MI is way different than 6 weeks ago in AL. Thanks!

I wish I’d used more water. I did 10 gallons per acre

I use 8 ounces of imox per acre.

I’m also in Georgia

By: c5ken
Date:27-May-21

For what it's worth- I used 6oz of Imox, 3 pints of Nitro-surf with 20 gals of water per ac. After my sprayer test, I ran at 7mph to cover one ac with the above mix. Although some weeds were killed, the clover looks wilted. I mow the plot a few times this year. Next August I'll turn the plot under & replant. No more Imox for me...

Date:30-May-21

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

Back at my Ohio farm for the first time in 5 weeks. I had sprayed imox the 3rd week of April. The pic shows a very clean clover and chicory plot. The next photo shows where I missed spraying.

Here’s where I missed spraying

I stopped spraying before I reached the pole. Can you see the difference?

Yes, Imox works, but it’s slow and tricky to get right. No question.

Good luck.

Here’s my Hancock killer clover field edge where I sprayed and didn’t spray. One application of imox on 4/29 and one application of 2,4DB in 4/10. Beautiful results.

Date:01-Jun-21

Too much surfactant can burn your clover some

Date:02-Jun-21

Good Job Pat on showing the results. Much appreciated.

Could you please add the amount (oz) of IMOX you sprayed /acre and the amount and kind of surfactant you applied.

Date:02-Jun-21

Rob, I go hot with 8-10oz IMOX per acre. I put in one gallon of generic TSC surfactant per 100 gallons of water.

The pic with the very clean clover/chicory plot was IMOX Only. The clover field was hit with 2,4DB first in early April and then IMOX in late April since my 2,4DB did not clean up an infestation of deadnettles. The IMOX wiped them out.

It's damn close to weed free as is humanly possible.

By: IVFDOC
Date:30-Nov-21

I started using IMOX because I have problems with nutsedge and horse nettle in my clover plots. The Clethodim and 2,4 DB don't phase either of these. The IMOX has been very effective against the nutsedge and somewhat effective against the horse nettle. So for my Mississippi bottom land clover plots I need both IMOX and 2,4 DB. Enjoyed reading everyone else's posts, always something to learn.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.