BullBuster 09-Apr-21
Longbow42 21-Apr-21
goyt 22-Apr-21
Longbow42 22-Apr-21
Osceola 15-May-21
Osceola 15-May-21
Osceola 15-May-21

Date:07-Apr-21

I am sorry to ask and I am sure someone will tell me to read the label. I have read and reread the IMOX label, but I cannot find in words I understand whether IMOX has a residual effect to prevent clover from germinating. I assume it would not but...

Last fall I replanted a clover plot after a year being highly, highly weedy. I sprayed IMOX after a mowing, it did a nice job as I had a very clean plot, disked the ground, roller packed the plot, hand seeded clover (7 lbs to acre), then roller packed once last time. In the fall it was very dry and I had very little germination (clover or weeds). My belief was that the seeds likley had not germinated due to dryness and would do so in the spring. In February, I frost seeded 3.5lbs of clover to the acre. We have had timely rains and warm temps in 70's for several days in March. Still no germination (weeds or otherwise). Soil sample says all is well in that area. The only thing I have done different is use IMOX. That is why I am wondering if there is some residual effect for germination. Can IMOX affect clover germination?

Was your seed coated/inoculated?

My seed was inoculated. I buy all my seed from Grandpa Rays who I think has the best seed. I have always had good luck with and trust his company completely.

By: RIT

Are you sure you used IMOX? The raptor/IMOX label says 9 month residual for oats/turnips etc. I can’t say if clover is on the label or not.

I did use IMOX. RIT: I am kind of relieved that you did not see anything for clover on the label either. Those labels tie my head in a knot...sometimes I swear I go cross-eyed while reading them.

Possibly I am too impatient. I just checked the University soil temperature map. In my area, as of 4-6-21 the soil temp was 62 degrees; however, the 7 day weekly average was only 53 degrees. That site measures the temp 4 inches below bare soil.

As long as there is no preemergient residual, I am sure it will come up.

By: t-roy

Have you tried contacting John, with Grandpa Ray’s about this? He may have some insight.

I’m kind of curious about this, as well. I wonder if IMOX harms the new, frost seeded clover sprouts that are late to germinate in the spring?

I did talk to John about the seed inoculant, but I don't believe I mentioned the IMOX. If it does not come up in a week or so, I will call him. I will keep the post updated as to what happens.

By: t-roy

Thanks Bruce.

Osceola - Last year I found

"IMOX" ACTIVE INGREDIENT:Ammonium salt of imazamox* . . . . . . 12.1% *Equivalent to 11.4% imazamox acid Contains 1 pound of imazamox acid equivalent per gallon.

and RAPTOR is exactly he same Active Ingredient:ammonium salt of imazamox: 2-[4,5-dihydro-4-methyl-4-(1-methylethyl)-5-oxo-1H-imidazol-2-yl]-5-(methoxymethyl)-3-pyridinecarboxylic acid* . . . 12.1% 1 gallon contains 1.0 pound of active ingredient as the free acid.

The RAPTOR label is MUCH easier to put into 'food plotter' practice with much better application and residual timelines - Good Luck - I'll be using IMOX again this year. It DID NOT hurt my frost seeded Clovers, Birdsfoot Trefoil or Chicory.

RAPTOR label is here - > http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/labels/Raptor.pdf

Under RAPTOR -Crop Speficic Recomendations- it says for Chicory

Chicory Restrictions and Limitations• DO NOT make more than one Raptor application to chicory per year (growing season).• DO NOTapply more than 4 fl ozs Raptor/acre (0.031 lbimazamox ae/acre) to chicory per year (growing season)

I applied 5.5oz / acre and it did great - this chicory is 3 months after application on 1 May.

Stressless's MOBILE embedded Photo

Have had poor luck with clover seeded in dry weather here in SE South Dakota. I think this might be your problem. Touch early for the frost seeding to show, be patient. Especially if you haven’t seen any weed germination.

Date:09-Apr-21

I’ve asked the same question before and nobody would respond. Why wait to ask Grandpa Rays?

Date:21-Apr-21

I used Imox last weekend and was also concerned about reseeding germination issues as I have heard it has residual effects but unclear on Imox and Rapture labels. Spoke to John today from GRO and he said he doesn't use Imox but has heard that you can plant shortly after and it will not impede seed germination. I plan to plant his soil builder mix in May into last years brassicas plot to build soil and then seed brassicas into it in the fall.

By: goyt
Date:22-Apr-21

Longbow42, BASF has instructions for Raptor and on page 24 of the copy I have it states that alfalfa and wheat can be planted 3 months after an application, rye 4 months, barley, oats , sorghum and turnups 9 months or some turnups 18 months depending on where, sugar beets 18 months plus a list of others. I do not know if plants will not grow before that time period or if they will be contaminated. I was in your situation last year and decided to just plant rye last year and then brassicas this year.

Date:22-Apr-21

Govt; I read that but did not see a mention of clover or to your point, whether it impacts seed germination in any way. I will soon find out first hand as I plan to overseed a couple weeks after application.

Date:15-May-21

Osceola's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is the promised update. Plot #1 had an excellent stand and the field is extremely clean. Clover is still short, but growing well. While it looks like IMOX did its job, I probably will not but it again. I am going stick with 24d-B and Cleth.

Plot #2 is less robust, but small plants are beginning to emerge. Not sure why the plot growth is so different, but IMOX does not appear to have had an effect as they were both planted and sprayed the same days.

Soil Test for Plot #2. I don't see anything that appears adverse in the soil test. I think the plot will eventually be fine.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.