Pat Lefemine 07-Feb-21
c5ken 09-Feb-21
Osceola 10-Feb-21
Pat Lefemine 10-Feb-21
Osceola 10-Feb-21
Stressless 18-Feb-21

By: c5ken
Date:07-Feb-21

I have a 3ac food plot thats been in clover for the past several years. My plan is to frost seed in March and fertilize with 0-0-62 per my last soil test.

When the weeds this spring get to about 4 to 6" can I spray the plot with Imox or will the Imox kill the new growth from my frost seeding?

oops, Should have enter this on the food plot forum... sorry

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

Assuming you are frost seeding clover, correct? The IMOX should not harm clover or alfalfa. I would recommend you not wait until the weeds are 4-6, maybe 1-3? You really want to get them when they are as small as possible.

My IMOX results this year were mixed. I had a great grass kill, but my pigweed was not eradicated and my dock appears to not be affected at all. I may have to hit the plot with 2/4DB this spring just to be certain.

It was a fall planting of Killer Clover and it came up great.

Date:09-Feb-21

Thanks for the info. My frost seeding will be Ladino clover. Good advice regarding weed growth. I will spray IMOX when the weeds first start to grow (1/3") tall

Date:10-Feb-21

Probably a stupid question...I frost seed into existing clover plot. Should I be using an inoculant on the seed? I do not believe I ever have.

Depends on several factors. Has the soil been actively growing clover? Is the seed coated with pre-inoculant? And does the seed require inoculation?

I am seeding into an plot that has been clover for some time so there should be bacteria (inoculant) existing in the ground to help the seeds germinate. Also, it ended up that my seed has been inoculated.

I did talked to my expert and he said that when frost seeding, the inoculate on the seed is somewhat "neutralized" as the seed sits ungerminated for some time. By the time the seed germinates the inoculant (which I think is a bacteria) has lost a lot of its benefit.

I am paraphasing of what my expert said so I hope I got that correct.

Date:18-Feb-21
Stressless's Supporting Link

Get inoculated seed, Frost seed, Spray with IMOX 6-7oz/acre when 4"-6" high just past spring green up.

My experience with exactly that at this site which is pleasure to use/post, unlike this forum.

https://theohiooutdoors.com/threads/stressless-ridgetop-spoil-food-plot-creation.26118/

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.