Don 03-Apr-20
South Farm 03-Apr-20
drycreek 03-Apr-20
Don 03-Apr-20
JL 03-Apr-20

By: Don
Date:02-Apr-20
Don's Supporting Link

This is a 4 ft. homemade Crimper/Roller I recently put together and tested yesterday towed behind my Ranger midsize 570. Everything is dead here in mid-Michigan so how well the crimper mode will work is yet to be determined. In roller mode it seemed to work pretty well but will work better when filled with water I believe. My first submission but been a long time visitor.

Don's MOBILE embedded Photo

By: t-roy

Be interesting to see how it works for you, Don!

Looks great! Let us know how it works for you after you add some weight. What was your total cost and time to build it?

By: JL
Date:03-Apr-20

Pretty good video. I'm not familiar with it. What is it supposed to accomplish?

Huntcell 's embedded Photo

Is that a buck rub or did someone run into that tree?

I had about two days into the build counting acquiring the materials needed and 4 hours of welding. Total cost including a used re-purposed oxygen tank ($70.00) was $415.00 including $115.00 for the welding as I am not a welder.

Some food plotters desire not to disturb the soil when planting because tillage brings up old seeds that eventually becomes new weeds, subjects the soil to erosion, and during the hotter, summer months the soil tends to crust. Shallow planted, smaller seeds like clover, brassicas, etc. can not penetrate thru that crust, and those that do soon die due to a lack of moisture often experienced during the hotter, dryer months. On a larger scale and In many areas farmers are now using crimping equipment in combination with no-till and chemicals to achieve their desired result without the added costs and time investments.

As far as us food plotters I believe we can do things easier and cheaper too. At the proper time of planting, the often used smaller seed types like radish, turnip, other brassicas or kale, clover, etc. could often be incorporated much easier and quicker, in a like manner, and achieve the same results.

One could broadcast the small seed before a major rain event into a weeded area without using tillage. It is just a matter of broadcasting your seed into the existing vegetation, then rolling and flattening that vegetation over the just broadcasted seed. This method settles the seed as long as the vegetation is not too wet, so that it can make good seed to soil contact.

When the vegetation is alive and growing the crimper ridges are designed to squeeze the stem or at least damage it to the point that the plant can not survive. The rolled vegetation covers the seed and helps retain the moisture, so the seed can germinate.

More than likely a mowing of some type, or the use of a weedwhacker is all that will be needed if new weed growth threatens to grow taller and shade out the planted crop.

Later on and a few weeks before a frost, one could add Rye, oats or a combination of the two to the already planted crop to not only provide some added forage but also suppress the next, natural growing vegetation, so at that the Rye provides your thatch for the next years summer planting.

The tree is dead and a Pileated Woodpecker is re-purposing it, lol.

That said, we do have a few rubs around here annually as a rule. Turning something positive into it sometimes can be very difficult, ok, usually. Lol

By the way, if you did not see the roller in action you can click on the supporting link, top left hand corner of first page.

For someone new, like myself, I now see the supporting video link in the top right hand corner of the initial post and it works.

I also have a complete parts list as far as to what I used and will add it to the thread if anyone is interested.

Good idea, looks like it does the job!

I saw that on the deerhunterforum Don. It seems to accomplish the job on the dead stuff, and I think if you fill it with water it will work on green stuff too.

Dr. Grant Woods has been planting like this for several years on a larger scale. He use a large crimper and then plants in the same direction with a no till drill. It works out well for him. Only one thing keeps me from doing the same......$$$ Drills are out of my price range for food plots. I have a big pasture type roller and I’ve thought about welding angle iron to it but without the drill it’s not gonna work as well for me. Any large seeds not covered will be scarfed up by hogs the very night I plant them.

I've been a follower of his, that's partially a reason I tried to incorporate what he does in such that might apply to me and my needs.

Even a small scale no-till planter would be out of the question now that I am retired, and if I was rolling in money I would hire it done using their equipment, lol.

By: JL

Thanks for the explanation Don.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.