XbowfromNY 07-Dec-16
EIStone 08-Dec-16
MNRazorhead 08-Dec-16
Rupe 09-Dec-16

Date:30-Nov-16

Sounds like you need to let him walk !!

By: cnelk

You will answer your own question when he walks into range...near your stand... sometime in the very near future...

You've had one heck of a season Pat. Enjoy every moment and let whatever happens happen.

Tough call, do what you feel will please you the most.

I bet he will look even better as a 5.5 year old. BUT, you will never know if you take him now

By: AndyJ

That's the beauty of hunting...Do what you want to do. There is absolutely nothing wrong with letting an animal walk. If you need the meat, kill him. If you don't why kill him? I always find myself rooting for the animal as the season comes to a close. Like you said, they've made it for so long and beaten such tough odds.

I think it's totally understandable that you'd feel that, especially after the season you've had. We're not very hungry an hour after Thanksgiving dinner. Hunt him and if/when he walks within range, decide then whether you want to shoot him with your bow or your camera. It's obvious that you still want to chase him, you're just not sure if you want to kill him. So chase him and find out.

By: Sixby

I would not kill him and I know just how you feel about it. God bless, Steve

If you don't need to fill the freezer or your ego let him walk... He'll reward you with a bigger rack next season!

By: wildan

That's the difference in being a "hunter" vs deer killer.I understand you already had a good year so why not pass.I shot a nice buck Nov.13 and was out coyote hunting a saw a nice buck chasing a doe the day before Thanksgiving.I sent my son to that stand Thanksgiving morning and he killed that buck.I got more out of "his" kill than if I had shot it myself.

By: T Mac

Only you will know should the opportunity present itself! Good Luck!

given what you have done in Canada and Kansas in the last 45 why the heck would you need to kill that deer? Other than just to say you could and did there is no reason.

By: dg72A

Let him walk.........

By: carcus

If your questioning yourself definitely let him live

I know you are not asking our permission! When one has a well groomed piece of deer property with a good deer population and more than average success on bucks, the reason to kill or not to kill a particuar buck may become clouded especially if the freezer is more that half full.

my best, Paul

my best, Paul

You aughta feel guilty about the other two...................:)

Pat, I think you have already answered your own question. You have had a season for 100 lifetimes. How will killing this buck make it better? If it doesnt make it better I would pass. Set one of the boys up on him or let him grow a year bigger.

By: ryanrc

If you think you will feel bad, then you will definitely regret shooting that deer. I would take the rest of the season off and enjoy some family time.

By: BOWNUT

You have had a great season Pat. He will be a good buck next season. But I wouldn't stop hunting who knows what else is out there.

4.5 years old in the wild for a whitetail in the East I would say he is as good as he will ever be! I have been chasing tails for 50 plus years now and around the 5 states that I hunt here in the East 4.5 is an old deer for sure! All indication points to a tough winter to come this year I bet he doesn't make it to spring! JMHOP

Yes the TBM equivalent scale: "First, this area does not produce mature 10pt bucks, passing up this buck would be like passing up a 190 in Kansas." Shoot boy SHOOT >>>~~~~>

PM the Dear god from northern Illinois and he would concur!

Do it proud with a full shoulder in semi sneak postion of course with a right turn.

I think most of us that have had great success over the years know when enough is enough. That could be some kids first buck or some ones last one. If you need to ask then you already know. I had a great year this year and had my fill, another and I'd start to feel guilty too.

I just got to ask though what about that deer looks like 4.5? Looks 2.5 to me and not sure a biologist could say with any real confidence.

By: Candor

I enjoy killing big deer, managing deer, killing does here and there.... But if a buck doesn't represent something special for me in some capacity I would rather guide someone else to him or let him live.

We certainly each have our own timeline to walk through the different stages of hunting. Enjoy the chapter you're in....

Let him walk, film it, and PROCLAIM YOUR DOMINANCE!!!!!!

By: TD

After this season you had..... it's called "jaded".... =D Interesting dilemma. WWJD? (what would Jake do? I know already, he'd drop the string on em)

Or..... you could use an Alabama tape to measure this one with.....

Would this one make it near 650"? Jake is gonna have to make a whole new spreadsheet/contest..... or just buy us all beer anyway......

If a shot opportunity presents itself, listen to that little voice inside your head.

If you pile it, he will come...

Seeing him, pictures of him, and knowing he is there on your property are all nice, but killing him is a whole other mater. He is still alive for good reason. A hard hunted 4.5 year old can live right under your feet and never give you a chance to kill him under fare chase methods! Hunt hard for him - Good Luck! If you do get a shot then you have won and the decision to shoot or not shoot has been earned by you alone. Your choice!

He's alluded other hunters, not your camera. He's not dead to rights yet. The way I see it, he has the upper hand.

Your dilemma sort of reminds me of an epiphany I went through with quail a few years ago. After years of extremely successful quail hunting I sort of lost interest in ever killing another one. I still love watching them on our property and greatly enjoy flushing a covey while walking into or out of my deer stand but I am sure I will never intentionally kill another.

I get it Pat. On my property in VT that would be a giant buck and would be hard to pass no matter how much venison I had in the freezer. Whatever you decide will be the right decision. What a year!!

By: Davy C

I've often thought I had a deer .dead to rights and been humbled

Do what you want with hunting on your property.

He may live another year or two, some things to think about:

So why not let someone else on the property who has the desire, hasn't taken a buck of that caliber yet? Sometimes there is a lot of satisfaction in having someone else be successful, even if you helped.

The other thing is if you are anywhere near a county road or highway, that may be were he is found dead. I have had that happen numerous times for the one who eluded hunters all season or two. Antlers collected by someone who really doesn't know the value and the meat is generally wasted.

I'd let him walk and let nature collect him, if he gives up the ghost to the elements. Tough call but if I'm in the fence it usually means I better hold off. Good luck either way!

This is what happens when you shoot 2 giant bucks in a single season.

I bet you wouldnt think twice about hunting/killing him if you didnt have such an awesome year so far. So............. Since it sounds like you dont want him, then dont go after him.

Decide if he walks by within range.... it's the right decision either way....

Wait, wait wait.....

You didn't name him did you???

Date:01-Dec-16

Let him walk or try to put one of your kids on it. It won't make your season any better than it already is. It would be cool to see him next year or even just anticipating seeing him on your cameras next year. I'd rather see more pictures of him alive rather than one of him dead.

You need only answer one question and it's different for everyone at every stage of their career "why am I here?"

Personally this is why I carry doe tags:)

I believe I know exactly what this feels like. I live in SE Ohio and live in the middle of my hunting area...my farm. I get to know the bucks running around and some of them are very familiar to me. I don't turn them into pets but some carry names and I know where they prefer to travel. My wife even recognizes some of them. There is a buck here now that I have photos of going back 3 years. He was really big back then...a typical 12 with plenty of mass. This year he is magnificent and has been photographed a couple times. Fully mature and likely 6.5 years old. Last year I passed a shot opportunity on him in December. This year I had him close and chasing does but opted to watch and not make an attempt.

Would I kill him given the right opportunity? Maybe. I like seeing him alive and the game he plays. My wife enjoys seeing him. We pull for him to make it through gun season...just because he's big and smart. Killing him would be a life achievement for a lot of guys and I would be very happy on one level. I'm just not sure I'd value the kill, the memory of it and the trophy enough to take him down. I really don't care whether anyone thinks that's goofy. It's just where I am these days and my priorities are different. There was a time when I wouldn't have understood this kind of thinking, but I was younger and the drive to kill was very strong. Now...I get it. I don't kill out of need or because I can. I kill when I want, and I have to want it pretty strongly. Otherwise I watch and enjoy what I see. I definitely enjoy seeing nice bucks and sometimes issuing them a pass.

By: Grubby

The only way I would know is when I settled in for the shot.

Do you think the trailcam patterning contributes to the potential guilt? If you didn't know his schedule and he spontaneously walked under a stand would your perspective change?

Your kids are right. :-)

Of course it is up to you Pat.

But in Virginia I live on a property where the bucks come to escape the ridiculous 7 week gun season with loose deer dogs. The biggest bucks of the year show up and then disperse again after the season. The following year they don't come back until the guns/dogs pressure them into coming back. My experience has been that those big bucks will leave as soon as the pressure relaxes.

Even though you've got everything that that 10 pt needs he'll still probably go back to his more familiar home until the pressure comes back next year.

Let us know what you do if you have the opportunity.

If he is like a 190" in KS, then I'd say take him if you have the opportunity. No one on this site would pass a 190" in KS, ever.

I also think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself in thinking you will get an opportunity. Mature bucks have a way of being difficult to kill.

Plenty of time to feel guilty after you slip an arrow between his ribs. Follow your heart.

By: Fuzzy

kill him first, then feel the guilt. lol

By: Owl

My thoughts too, Cecil.:)

Maybe the apprehension is just your gut advising you to give his genes the chance at a few more years in the back 40. Any prognostication relative to his impending demise is just rationalization no matter how well informed and, ultimately, merely a self-fulfilling prophecy when used to justify killing him. :)

if you have to ask, you already know the answer. it's a powerful feeling to let an animal walk that you know you could have ended its life.

Yep, old and soft Pat. He'll probably walk by ya and flip his tail at ya and you'll shoot him.

By: Dwayne

Do what I generally do and decide at the moment of truth. If you get excited and the heart starts beating faster shoot him. If not grab the camera, smile and enjoy that moment.

Patrick, this is your old LFG buddy from Fort Worth Texas. I have felt similarly in some situations over the years. Given your belief that this buck is what he is and may not survive the winter, why not put something back in the hunting world? Take a kid out to hunt this buck. I take disabled kids, terminally ill kids, and underprivileged kids and there is no bigger thrill than seeing their faces light up when they go and even better, when they kill. You will not feel the least bit guilty if that child succeeds, and if he doesn't, well, it was not meant to be. Come see me in Texas sometime!!!! We darn sure don't have winters like you have in NY!!!!

By: Shiloh

I would think that if you are already having second thoughts then you have answered your question and will get a lot of satisfaction out of letting him go. The thing about bad winters and such is sort of like saying if I don't kill him the neighbors will. OTOH.....it would be very hard to let a mature buck walk in my neck of the woods!

By: Bake

I have a really hard time passing 4 year old bucks, no matter what their headgear looks like. But I also haven't killed nearly as many deer as you. . . Nor have I had the year you've had :)

If I truly thought I'd have regret upon putting such a deer on the ground, I would not shoot. I've felt that trigger remorse before, and I don't like it. It cheapens the hunt, cheapens the life of the deer, etc.

Sounds like you have determined there are a lot of scenario's where this buck might not survive until next season.. Your banking on the certainty YOU will be around next season.. Life doesn't make those guarantees for anyone or anything. Enjoy TODAY and take advantage of the few precious moments / opportunities life throws your way while you still can.

By: SteveB

I'd say shoot if you are so inclined because in reality it hurts nothing, If not, then just carry a camera instead of a bow. Both are ok.

He is a gift to you and your hard work. Take him. He probably wont be around next year. Good Luck

You already got one nice buck there this season. Satisfaction enough. Let him go and grow till next year.

WTH Pat......just do something! At least half the class will approve:)

By: TSI

Northern deer face winter mortality every yr yet some make it to impressive ages 9.5-12.5yrs old so he can make it through to grow.Or not!Letting him walk might be the best satisfaction guaranteed no regrets.Congrats on a steller yr Pat.

By: Ollie

Your thoughts are part of maturing as a hunter. Killing stuff is no longer the biggest priority. I routinely pass nice bucks each year that I would never have considered passing when I was in my younger "gotta kill stuff" mindset. There is a great deal of inner satisfaction in letting a nice buck walk.

Disagree as it being part of maturing as a hunter. I like to kill deer ecsp. with a bow, period. I have been killing deer 40 years and still love the thrill of a deer being within a few yards of me. I would take him if you have the chance. I have been hunting in NY for over 40 years and bucks like that usually die some other way then by a bow hunter. Someone will jack him or he will be hit by a car or nature may take him. Shoot him and enjoy the fact you put in the time and effort to do so. Shawn

I set my hunting goals as best I can, before I go out, but given the limitations of legal targets, landowner's goals and restrictions, and such firm restrictions, I am sometimes surprised at what my "inner predator" says to do when presented a shot. Sometimes I lets em all walk, and enjoy the day, and sometimes it's a bloodbath (like the Valentine's Day pig Massacre in Florida, right Owl? lol)

By: njbuck

Pat, you have a problem that most would love to have. You are having a dream season that will probably never be duplicated. That said, I guess I would go against the grain a little and if it was me I would take him if came by my stand and I had a tag. First, as you know, getting a buck often on camera is one thing but killing him is an entirely different endeavor. I have had some great seasons (no where near the one you are having though) and sometimes it seems almost too easy but then I have had the complete opposite seasons, when things never go my way. What I have learned is to take the gifts that are given to you when they are given to you. In the end only you can make the "right" decision for you but a 4 1/2 year old buck here in the north east is a great trophy regardless of how good or bad a season has been up to that point. Best of luck!

By: XMan

I totally get it, have that same feeling around this time of year on certain bucks. But, when it comes to my own property where I have a ton of effort, sweat, and time invested....nothing better than taking a mature late season whitetail. :)

Letting him walk he has a chance!shooting him he has zero chance to grow.Settling in the north country is why many young bucks never grow up.not many out there hunt for survival anymore eating a tag should be a sense of pride not disappointment.

After reading your circumstances I'd shoot him in a heartbeat and think how fortunate I was.....It's almost an entirely different species from their Midwest Bros.

By: SJJ

After the season you've had...cant imagine Killing him....things I would do in this case is use my longbow to take a doe, or hunt off ground or increase challenge in some way. Picking up his sheds would be MUCH better

By: Duke

Pat- I think you probably answered your own question, one which nobody else can truly answer for you.

Over the years, I've shot some deer that I probably kick myself a little bit for looking back at, and have let some walk that I look back and scratch my head a bit at. -However, at the end of the day, there's a moment when decisions need to be made, and I have always said that if it genuinely excites me and I'm happy shooting then I do. END OF STORY. I'm the decision maker and my own judge.

If I pass a deer on a trip or on a hunt on my property on "Day "X"" it will not get shot by me for the rest of the season.

Good luck & have fun, whatever you do!

WTH Pat......just do something! At least half the class will approve:)

I'd shoot him if you have the chance. I've learned that unless you have a very special circumstance ( 5,000 acre farm where everyone around you practices QDM, etc ) you will have a small window of opportunity to kill a deer like you have described and you will likely not have the opportunity again. You've had a Hell of a season, but this one could make it even better! Good luck with whatever you decide.

Pat - lots of good advice here. I go with the let it go and grow crowd. I have let animals pass too because I didn't need the meat and had killed other stuff that year.

But, you have the tag, you have worked the land with plots, so..... Let your boys try for him! :)

If I would of killed a couple bigger already this year I would leave him. Next year he maybe still around, your call wish u the best.

The older a buck gets the less often he exposes himself,if that's big for the area in a yr or two he'd be huge.Bit of a split on advice but I'd bet no one would critisize letting a big deer grow into a possible huge deer.QDM is about growing deer.

waiting for the blood trail challenge. hope the blood trail is extremely short but the Bowsite blood trail challenge is extremely, well challenging!

To me, I would kill him. No offense, but he would be more of a trophy to me than the bucks you killed in Kansas and Sask. He is a true trophy and survivor as you described. He'd go on the wall for sure.

I would shoot him for certain if I thought he was 6.5. I hunt to kill primarily mature bucks so he fills the bill. I would not want him to be like a deer my brother killed two year ago that was 6+ years old had a massive rack that scored 131; he was definitely going downhill. The rack had dried blood on it so he was out there in the breeding mix. he had a live weight of 250 plus based on chest measurement. I have several downhill deer like him that bullied younger bucks that had much more impressive racks. He has laid his seed I would make him bleed!

Pat, My question is if you are out there hunting, rather than scouting or filming etc., what deer are you hoping to shoot? He's a beauty and would make anyone hunting your area proud. I hunt a real tough area of NY as well. Last year I passed on 3 good bucks to give them another year and have not seen any of them this year. I've had great success on mature deer the last 3 seasons, but who knows what the next few seasons may bring? I'd take him and add to what has already been a magical season. No right or wrong here. You will make the right call on what is a very personal decision.

Stekewood..... LOL! That was funny right there, I don't care who ya are.....

I tell my kids on every hunt we go on- even if you get pulled back and sites leveled on something, if for whatever reason you don't feel like killing it, don't do it.

Sounds like this deer might fit that for you. I liked the suggestion above- this deer might be a good one to take a kid or a learning hunter to kill. On the other hand, if you do get pulled back on him, totally cool if you come to the realization- "yes- Imma squish this one for sure." Send me a pic if that happens.

By: Owl

Fuzzy, putting a hunter in Matt's place is like tossing a rat terrier in a hay barn. :)

As for Pat's dilemma, there is no wrong way to go except against his own desire when and IF he gets a shot opp.

I hunted RedField NY for years which I think is close to this...it is in the snow belt....snow over the windows of the house is common....they get snow like nothing you have scene...it is rough on the Bucks.....I am surprised the locals don't sneak on your land and hunt....they are bad up there

I would complete the Trifecta Pat....

I'd let him go. The fact that you posted about it already tells me the right answer. He gets a pass.

I'm maybe different than some guys when it comes to late season. I actually get MORE selective. There's probably an 80% chance that if I let a buck go this time of year that he will grace me with a bigger rack next year at some point. I'm willing to let some bucks go that I probably would have shot pre-gun season just because they will for sure live until next year. Usually it takes a real stud to get me to pick up the bow late season. If I want more meat I'll usually end up using my one tag on a nice fat doe.

you can always justify it by saying he's breeding stock.

By: Zbone

If me, I'd let him walk and enjoy watching him grow next year and look forward to hunting him next fall, you've kill two good bucks this year, how many ya need, especially if ya already have reserves about it...

One thing for sure, if he's staying and secure on your property, the last thing to do is bump him or show him any kind of pressure to move him off, cause as skittish as they are right now from the thunderstix it wouldn't take much...

If you hadn't gone to the outfitted camps would you kill him? If he was actually a 180 would you kill him? I think you got plenty of kill left in ya Pat but he just don't trip your trigger. If he don't then let him walk no matter what age or size he is.

Pat, I'm only on one side here, honestly.

Let him walk, thump a doe, same feeling and in hopes he's better for it next year.

You have had a stellar year, this choice is easy.

Is it just me or does the deer in the lower pic look smaller than the two pics above???? Maybe my eyes are playing tricks.

You're gonna make Jake's 500 challenge way too easy......

Kill him!!! :) :)

Well.......

You may not have a chance to decide.

so the decision was not to take the 100 yard shot?

LOL

this feels like the audience voting about gladiators at the roman coliseum. Get thumbs up/thumbs down emojis. More thumbs up votes he lives, more thumbs down - FINISH HIM

I bet there's a couple forkies running around whispering "keel heem! keel heem!"....

By: Dakota

If you think he is truly a mature deer I say kill him to make it one of if not your best years ever. One in the hand or two in the bushes.

By: Buyse

Nothing wrong with respecting the game. I had something similar on our property. The buck lived through hunting season and didn't make it through the winter. No guarantee he will make it, even if you "let him walk."

By: BOWNUT

Well your getting some genetic benefits. I hope he gets close enough for a shot so you can decide.

By: leo17

I say adjust your goals to the locations you hunt. I live in NY and that is a fantastic deer. Very few people would pass on him.

By: Jerry

I can help but you won't like my suggestions. Quit planting and hunting the bait kill plots, quit tracking movement with the spy cams and go back to the longbow I saw you with on the cover of PBS all those years ago. If you happen on him under these conditions you likely won't feel as guilty when you drop the string. Maybe it has become too easy to kill? That formula has always worked for me. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

There is absolutely no point in killing him if you feel regret already. My wife has noticed our KS buck numbers seem to be down this year. She asked me if I had ever thought of giving them a rest since I already shot a bull in CO and a nice whitetail in Canada. When she mentioned that, I immediately thought of this thread and your 2 giant whitetails you have already shot.

Passing a great buck up because of an already great season?Shoot him!! :)

By: GF
Date:02-Dec-16

I made up my mind a long time ago that I would simply not shoot any more bucks unless it was A) my only legal option, B) unlikely that I would have another chance at filling the freezer, or C) a personal best... at least for the weapon in hand. But I don't gun-hunt much anymore, so there you go...

Not that my "best" archery buck is anything to brag on...

I dunno... Maybe next week that buck gets hammered by a Semi, or maybe next season he falls to a kid just starting out who's now hooked for life, or maybe some old crank who has been hunting for 50 years and never once had a crack at a buck that made him contemplate taxidermy...

I guess if I were in your (enviable) position, I'd figure that that buck would mean a whole lot more to somebody else than he ever would to me. Hunt him hard; get him into Gimmie range; settle the pin if you use one... Count coup and let him walk. Some of my best hunts have been ones which - if committed to video - could be distributed with a disclaimer that no animals were harmed in the making of this film....

Adds new meaning to "horn porn" lol

I believe you've jinxed yourself my friend :) A shot opp. may never present itself

tobinsghost's embedded Photo

Pat, did you get to see the red rocket?!?

Curious Pat, was he the only buck chasing the doe or were there others?

Rocketman . . . that's a good strong name :)

You can stick with the Aerosmith theme and go with "Jaded".

By: pappy

inspector gadget

Hawg Father!

Inspector Pouseau

Not sure about the name? or the length?

By: LINK

Maybe in honor of Mr. Harris you could name him the 114 buck.

I'd just call him Lucky

It could be attributable to his good fortune with the does or your good fortune with out of state hunts, but he is definitely lucky.

All kidding aside, it will be interesting to see if you get a bona fide shot opportunity. I have a feeling that you'll have video proof regardless of whether you shoot or not. :-)

you should call him Lucky Bastard. You have no idea where he came from hence the bastard and in any other year where you didn't kill two studs you would be trying your damnedest to kill him, so he's lucky he chose this year to show up on your place.

great idea Xman!

By: GF

Lucky, for sure. Then you can talk about him in front of the kids/grandkids, depending on what you've got...

So nobody's going to comment on Toby's pic? I've heard of locked in, but in someone's garage with a guy standing there? Or is that a hell of a (really) different kind of "mount"?

By: Will

This is easy, name him "Spigot" ;)

How about "long shot"?

Is Cecil taken already???

TD, no I am single, but I'm straight :)

I'd like to know the story of tobinsghost pic of the mulies getting it on inside a garage...8^)

Bou ^^^^ lol!

There's always one smart ass in the room, we all know who that is LOL

Call it a great season!

Pat was it a doe fawn or older doe? I know the fawns around here are starting to come into heat. I also think some does were missed and they are coming around again. So are ya gonna kill him if you get the chance? Like I said I would kill him if you get the chance, if being the operative word here. Shawn

I'd call him "Woulda Coulda Shoulda "

I can be on a plane in the morning if you have an issue taking him out of that gene pool.

Deuce Bigalow

dammit Fuzzy..... LOL!

I'll never see that flippin lion the same again.....

How about Johnny...as in Johnny Holmes!!

By: wild1

How about "Horn-ee"

By: Bob

Pat, Late season I only hunt with my long bow. I welcome the added challenge when old man winter moves in. To take that buck with a long bow would be a life time achievement for many. Bob

That is a great buck for this area. I don't think you will regret letting him walk though.

By: Kdog

Sounds like you decided to pass on him, but I say kill him! Or at least try to, I'm not so sure it's going to be that easy. Nice buck.

Date:03-Dec-16

Daddy Warbucks?

By: APauls

You might be trying to decide something that you won't even be the one to make the decision. Bucks like that don't screw up often. But you already know this :)

Screw up? Bucks like that have been throwing themselves on his arrows all year!

By: Rupe

Pat, not getting soft at all. You've had a great year, he's not that big antler wise, you can shoot does for meat if needed. I think passing him would be a sign of true sportsmanship and stewardship. Let him get to 5.5 and then try and take him

Just my 2 cents!

Date:04-Dec-16

Did you ever see him in bow range

Yea u should feel guilty

I guess this buck was a bit craftier than those prima donna bucks you shot earlier this year.

ahunter55's embedded Photo

was at full draw on this guy at 10 yds a couple years ago & let him walk. Never saw him again but was told gunners got him. I did not regret letting him go but if you do, others may not.. I'm fortunate to have bowhunted 60 years now & blessed to live where big bucks grow but, though we may see them, never a guarantee you will kill one, trust me on that.. I set a personal goal since I have taken many Whitetails with a bow & have not shot a buck for like 8 years. Passed MANY & Does know they get a free pass for years now. Good Luck.

Congrats on a great season!! I hope you see him net year.

I didn't read all the posts so I'm sorry if this has been covered. Would you feel the same if you had not taken 2 great deer all ready?

Date:05-Dec-16

The kill can't be the only measure of success ,letting an animal walk is how we can measure ourselves as Stuart's of wildlife.

HAH! Congratulations, you just adopted your very own pet deer. Careful, these things have a way of breaking your heart. I have a backyard button buck- - couldn't kill him if I wanted to (I don't), and I love seeing the guy. Admit it, you thrill to seeing this gorgeous buck running around on your property. Hope you see him next year under similar circumstances, and have to go through the same should I/shouldn't I exercise. Something tells me this guy is sacred. Plus in some minor way he is upgrading the gene pool.

FOG - Your reasoning is BS. I have the same issues in PA. Let that deer grow another set of antlers next year. You have had an unbelievable year. Who knows what that NY deer will grow next year and you may need him - Kansas and Sask, may not be as generous to you next year.

Date:06-Dec-16

Pat, I really hope you or one of your sons get him next year. That would be a great ending to this thread.

Date:07-Dec-16

Will be nice next year as a 4.5

Date:08-Dec-16

Back to the name thing tobin nailed it with the red rocket !!!

Date:08-Dec-16

Thanks for taking us along on your journey, Pat. Was a good story, and it was a story of a true sportsman. Well done, man. Next year though, all bets are off, I would guess?

By: Rupe
Date:09-Dec-16

Pat, start a new thread for the contest to name him!!!

Glad he made it through the season

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.