shortstop 15-Apr-16
Osceola 15-Apr-16
Stickhead 16-Apr-16
MK111 17-Apr-16
nutritionist 18-Apr-16
Paul J. 28-Apr-16

By: Jodie
Date:13-Apr-16

Genetic mutations have been the foundation of adaption, evolution, disease resistance and selection for centuries.

GMO changes nothing, simply applies some control and manipulation over the natural process of genetic mutation.

Yes, GMO's are ok for food plots.

By: Bake

I don't food plot. I'm really becoming torn on this issue. . .

Unless and until credible scientific evidence proves that GMO's are harmful, I don't have a problem with it.

But, I'm wondering if it doesn't do some wildlife a disservice by killing off weeds. Quail come to mind for me.

There are multiple causes of it, including bulldozing of fencelines, planting of fescues in pastures instead of warm season grasses, surge in red-tail hawk populations, etc. But I believe that the popularity of RR products is another reason for the massive decline of quail in my area. Those fields which were at one time cultivated to reduce weeds, would have provided much greater cover and food to quail than the monoculture fields we see now with the prevalent use of RR

Just a theory of mine. I don't have any evidence to back it up either :)

By: Fuzzy

Absolutely yes.

As much as it pains me to admit, my view basically mirrors Pat's. Pretty cool time lapse feature!

If it is your land, plant what you like. I don't think it is an individual's obligation to ensure that the Monarch Butterfly has access to milkweed.

When you consider the infinitesimally small amount of land devoted to "food plots" versus the overall agricultural base in the US this question seems pretty silly.

Do what you please, but your decision is meaningless to the overall picture.

I haven't read the link yet, but I'm with bigdog and juspassin, the amount of food plot acreage vs big ag acreage tells me that food plots will have little to no effect.

By: Ollie

If you want a weed-free field then you might want to consider use of GMO seed, provided that it is cost-competitive with non-GMO seeds followed by post-emergent herbicides to control the weeds that come up. Some species such as quail and Monarch butterflies benefit from certain weeds that will be killed by a non-selective herbicide such as glyphosate. I am not aware of any health-related issues involving the consumption of GMO plants by humans or mammalian wildlife. Nothing to fear here.

Edit: I had to edit.

I don't see Genetically Modified plants causing a radical change in plant consumers. More importantly, A soybean is still a soybean whether it is RR or not. It just makes controlling the weeds easier by allowing herbicide to be sprayed directly on to it. Non RR clover and wheat develop a resistance to round up over time, as long as you don't directly coat them. So, it is something that nature does anyways. Science has just made it more effective from the start.

I personally believe the fertilizer, the herbicides, the insecticides, The water used to irrigate, etc... as responsible for the danger or, lack of, that plants consumption could pose. Not the GMO food that is grown there. God Bless men

By: MK111

I live and plant food plots in the middle of a Ag country. My little amount of several acres of food plots is not going to do harm to the world with millions of acres of Ag being planted.

GMO is bad. If I were growing antlers, to name and put on a hit list, sure feed them whatever. Otherise, NO.

Date:14-Apr-16

The biggest problem with GMO's is all of the uneducated, overweight "soccer moms" setting on their fat tush posting on facebook about something they know nothing about, at the same time they are complaining with their mouth full, about what us farmers do and grow, and get Illinois link cards for their free groceries.

^^^^ That's funny right there.. However, soccer moms are hot. Where are they to educate themselves, the Monsanto website?

Soccer moms are ok with GMOs as long as they are gluten free.

Most soccer moms are shaped like soccer balls.

You guys are crazy, the soccer moms in OH are pretty hot! Still nuts and annoying but hot.

Hopefully in 30 years we don't look back and find out that GMO's weren't so good for us after all.

DJ

I defy anyone to find something living that hasn't been 'genetically modified'.

VEGAN, GLUTEN FREE, NON GMO, sustainably grown local organic (show me a non-organic food, salt?),,,,,so-called educated idiots. They would all starve in a feedlot full of fat beef. I am glad I do not have to try to explain this issue to this crowd. My 57 year old sister, who also grew up on the same farm as I did, and is married to a Land Grant College head Track coach asks these same stupid questions. ALL current AG seed is GMO. Has been for almost 10,000 years in some cases. Non RR, still need to spray or spend long days in the field with a hoe, or get a failed crop. Leave it go natural and you would have a mature forest in your lifetime, no fields, little/no game. Deer and other game animals were taken to the British Islands on boats by people over 10,000 years ago. None of this stewardship is new, and the things we want to have will not be there if we do nothing. These untended woodlots in the New England area have become mature forests now and many are virtual game deserts. Native Americans made and burned clearings to ensure plentiful game. Either you are working to improve habitat, are riding off the backs of those who do, or will not have game available in their future. Study history and learn from it, or you will remake the mistakes of the past.

GMO occuring in nature is one thing. GMO done in a laboratory so so as to increase the profit of a large corporation, is another. Do you really trust the government to tell you it is O.K.? Yeah, right, twinkies and box mac&cheese are safe, but raw milk isn't?

What makes a GMO unsafe vs the same result by natural mutation?

Stickhead the cow you got the raw milk from is genetically modified.

Vonfoust- Genetically modified (by man) and hybridized naturally in nature, are not the same thing.

DJ

A cow was not hybridized in nature

Believe what you want, and eat up. I will not accept that the company making billions of dollars, mutating stuff in a lab, will produce let's say a tomatoe, as healthy as one that evolves in nature. The heirloom tomatoes in my greenhouse, in flavor, texture, color, and lack of longevity, blow away any of those nasty tasting, fast grown, color enhanced, pesticide accepting, ultra long shelf life things that resemble what once was a tomatoe you get at the grocery store.

We don't have credible sources that the non browning apples and potatoes are safe either. Who, the FDA? How much crap have they said is safe, to find out later, oh no, pull it off the market? Lab does not equal nature.

X2 Stickhead

All species of dogs from the 2 lb chihuahua to the mastiff are GMO creations, and also man made. Have to say there are some mistakes there, but a lot of good.

Same with plants, if we help along genetic mutations, I think there will be mistakes, but some great successes too

GMO dogs? What? I thought they were cross bread, not put in a lab and had their DNA altered.

Many people don't know what the definition of GMO really means compared to hybrids or cross bread. Mule deer mating with whitetails in nature is much different than "scrubbing" genes from two different species and creating something that is an altered DNA makeup.

People are very passionate on both sides of GMO's and that's great to have an open discussion, but there is a lot of mis information out there. That is a problem when peoples research is the internet and they get ahold of some bogus information.

DJ

Date:15-Apr-16

There seems to be a lack of basic understanding of genetics and GMO's here. As SS stated, lots of misinformation out there.

SS, can you explain the differences between GMO and hybrids so we are all on the same page?

By: CK

Genetic engineering is the modification of an organism's genetic composition by artificial means, often involving the transfer of specific traits, or genes, from one organism into a plant or animal of an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPECIES.

Selective breeding is the process by which humans use animal breeding and plant breeding to selectively develop particular characteristics by choosing which animal or plant males and females will sexually reproduce and have offspring together.

One process is very similar to natural selection which has shaped life on this planet for millions of years, one isn't.

People, people, people, the issue with GMO's is not gentically modifying in itself, but MAY BE the chemicals that modifying allows to work in controlling the weeds. I doubt it, but that would be my bigger concern, certainly not that the modification.

How do you classify Roundup Ready Alfalfa?

How about Neanderthal DNA components identified in with modern human DNA? How is that classified since they are generally considered a different specie, or at least a subspecie? Was this natural?

By: Ollie

If you really are against consuming GMO plants then be prepared to pay a lot more for your food or be willing to raise it yourself. GMO plants are more conducive to no-till planting. Topsoil loss and silting of streams and rivers is a major issue here in the Midwest and elsewhere. And those comfortable cotton skivvies you are wearing right now...yep...GMO cotton! Approximately 50% of all cotton grown worldwide is GMO.

Humans share the majority of their DNA with other primates, and it is natural. The Neanderthal is not generally considered a different specie, that is argued among the experts. They are at least a subspecie, so why would we not share some DNA?

Most people against GMO's would do themselves a favor by spending some time researching what is possible and what is not. GMO's are not doing anything that cannot be accomplished within a much greater amount of time and generations with a different, 'natural' process.

I don't care if my cotton underwear, tee shirts, and 600 thread count sheets are made from GMO cotton, unless I start getting rashes, which has not been happening. I do care about the apple or potato I eat, which was engineered in a lab, that sucks up pesticides like a sponge, and will not turn brown, and has a 10 year shelf life. For those of you who do not see a difference, so be it. We don't have to take all or none, we can be selective on this.

You guys have fun debating this. I have to go take my 'puppy monkey baby' to the vet.

As much as I am over this , we have a major storm dumping on Colorado this weekend, so I will be here for the duration of this conversation!

Good conversation guys, Pat sorry this took of f in the direction you didn't want it to go. Vonfoust- Sorry I didn't reply to your question I was on the road, but it looked like CK handled it ok. Your statement "GMO's are not doing anything that cannot be accomplished within a much greater amount of time and generations with a different, 'natural' process." I understand where you are coming from, but natures changes can take 100's or 1000's of years and gives people, plants, animals etc. time to adapt.

I hope your puppy, monkey, baby was ok at the vet. LOL

DJ

Jodie........GMO.

Vonfoust, I am holding you partially responsible for my needing to replace my computer key board. Your "puppy monkey baby" comment made me shoot Coke Zero through my nose onto the key board...

I apologize to anyone who is offended, but that made me laugh!

Date:16-Apr-16

Stickhead's embedded Photo

Vonfoust I hope your puppy monkey baby is doing well. That is funny, whichever side of this you may be on. Here is my old "puppy monkey baby" on a walk in the fresh snow this morning. It is dumping here in Colorado. I was just wondering if the snow is GMO? If so, that is a game changer.

By: MK111
Date:17-Apr-16

Forgive me if it's been explained before. But what is the harmful effects if the GMO cross pollinates with regular seed?

Date:18-Apr-16

The one thing i am hard core about is corn. I advocate for people to use non roundup corn for deer but if they want to use roundup, use leafy/softer kernel genetics nd find older non stacked traits if possible. The new hybrids are designed for grain farmers and to dry down fast. For animals, you need to gring it like pig feed for ruminants to get a lot of use from. It is why it takes up to 6 months in storage for it to be utilized closer to 100% by ruminants.

SO, roundup ready 1 or roundup ready 2 traited corn is wayyy better than triple stacks and quad stacks.

Date:28-Apr-16

Please remember that not every crop grown is GMO. I am a rice farmer and there is no commercially grown GMO rice...at least not in the US. Please remember that it is not a farmers job to feed you, we just make it easy for you to access food at an extremely cheap price. Honestly the only thing I have against GMO,s is that it makes people unappreciative of where their food and fiber come from. If you don't believe me just look at how widely accepted GMO,s are in Asia( also the amount of rice they consume!!) they have some of the longest life expectancy of all.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.