lewis 24-Mar-16
lewis 24-Mar-16
Mad Trapper 24-Mar-16
Michael Schwister 25-Mar-16

Date:03-Apr-15

look forward to your report thanks

By: t-roy
Date:04-Apr-15

Pat, did your electric fence not deter the bears in your corn plot or had you already taken it down by the time they started in on it?

Pat, it took a lot of time and effort to produce this feature, and I enjoyed it ! Thanks. I was surprised to see the PH on your deep woods plot was that good, as I'm sure you were. Sometimes we get lucky ! I was really impressed with your beans and corn also. I can't grow corn here because the hogs will root up the seed and eat it overnight. I have a question about the radishes. Do the deer eat them before the frost or after ? You really grew some nice looking plots and that equals to a lot of work, but it is its own reward. I'm about to be pretty busy in the next couple months myself, planting iron/clay peas and RR beans. Good luck !

What's your plan for the bear and when's the bear season there?

Is there anyway to leave the electric fence around the corn and have it on a timer that goes off close to sunrise in an attempt to get him to come in during the day?

Date:05-Apr-15

totouchantler's MOBILE embedded Photo

We have great results with our radish/turnip blends here in Central New York. The deer eat the greens early but we have so much supplemental agriculture that they do not completely wipe them out. My biggest gripe is that the early snow can really put a damper on the palatability of the bulb. We grow enormous turnips but the snow gets them soggy, rotten and stinky especially a few wet snows.

I planted turnips ( from the feed store ) for the first time last year. Planted way too many, even though it was only three pounds scattered among five plots. I saw very little utilization of the tops and none of the actual turnips. They were mixed in with wheat and I watched a few deer browse the wheat and take a very occasional bite of a turnip top. Maybe it doesn't get cold enough here. I had a helluva turnip crop though ! When I disced them under last week, it looked like rocks on top of the plot. I think hogs ate some of 'em after they rolled out on top, but can't be sure. I did shoot a hog in there a week or so ago, but I didn't give the sucker time to dine. Are turnips like Scotch, an aquired taste ? I'd like to grow 'em if the deer will eat 'em, because they are easy to grow and produce lots of forage at the proper time. I think I might try the radishes. Anybody know when to plant for East Texas ?

Date:07-Apr-15

Pat, Once again, a heartfelt thanks for your posting these plot reviews. Can I ask how the soil tested in your new deep woods plot and precisely what fertilizer you put down? As I recall, you said you put down 500lbs of fertilizer. I ask because we've got 4 deep woods plots coming online in about 6 weeks. Thanks!

By: MK111
Date:23-Mar-16

I planted turnips in for the 1st time in 2013 and the deer eat all the tops off 1/2 ac but never touched the bulbs. In 2014 the deer eat the all the tops off 1/2 ac and maybe 10-15% of the bulbs were eaten. In 2015 I lost my forage oats crop due the a draught so I had 2 turnip planting. One early 1/2 ac and one late of 1 ac. The deer went crazy in the turnips but mainly in the early crop then when several frost hit they fed in both plots side by side. Come this early spring there was not one green top left in 1.5 ac of heavy cropped turnips. Now with the warm weather the late crop turnips the greens are all growing back on the bulbs are left. I'll till them under and replant a fall crop.

Date:23-Mar-16

Deer can jump a hot wire if closer to the ground. Bears cannot. I would like a report on woods seeder vs John deere row planter for beans.........

Date:24-Mar-16

Hey Pat: How does the cost of the Real World Beans compare with the Ag brown bag versions? It is my understanding that Real World's purported value is that the pods hold the beans later into the season. That is, the beans don't drop to the ground as frequently as normal Ag beans. Did you notice that? On your radishes, it looks like you may have overplanted. We had the same problem and cut back our seeding density and we got bigger radishes. It is tough to do though due to the small seed size. We have to fence them though as our deer start hammering them as soon as they break ground.

By: lewis

Pat where did you get your rw soybeans I'm all out of eagle and thought I'd give them a try.My daikon radishes and turnips did great put in birdsfoot trefoil under a powerline I'll check it when I get back to Tn.Lewis

I'M GOING TO CHECK EM out do they yield like the eagle Lewis

Good info thanks but probably worth 4c Lewis

Pat that is what we do. We plant eagles for the summer time and fence them off to give them a head start. Then we open them. They pretty much carry us through the first part of archery season. Then we start to open the Ag bean fields. Although we use Ag beans instead of the RW beans. I think that I paid around $60 bag for Ag beans. RW beans are $75 bag + shipping.

Date:25-Mar-16

I am doing both eagle and RW this year to compare to your results. Here in the Northern VA mountains we have ILL like weather. I love the Eagles as they outdraw everything to include acorns during the bow season, and also leave lots of pods. I can broadcast in winter rye when the leaves drop, and still get enough growth for a "beans and greens" plot. In the real worlds I hope to broadcast in radish/turnip/rape when the leaves turn, which I hope is mid august. With eagles I had to mow/disk/drill some standing forage down IOT get the brassicas in on time. I do no fence, but the eagle have withstood heavy grazing and still grew and threw heavy pods. I fear the risk losing all the RW to heavy grazing as not sure any "grain" bean can handle it. I need to let the deer graze as the most stress on the deer here is during the june-August antler and fawn growing months due to high heat and limited crops (primarily mature oak forests), and limited browse/grazing. Here we have heavy clay/shale soil, and I have found chisel plow/disc/conventional drill/cultipack as the best method (plus soil testing and amending with broadcast dry material. I use an ATV sprayer which is fast and low impact.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.