goyt 20-Jul-23
Trackdawg 20-Jul-23
Buckdeer 20-Jul-23
fdp 20-Jul-23
goyt 20-Jul-23
DonVathome 20-Jul-23
MallardSX2 20-Jul-23

Date:19-Jul-23

I am putting in a no till plot soon. I have sprayed it twice this summer and now it is barren hard compacted soil. Should I broadcast on to it or use a tine harrow to loosen the soil up some? I’m fearful this may allow new weeds to germinate. If I don’t use the harrow I run a risk of rain washing the seed down hill. Appreciate the help.

If you can't drill the seeds in you will likely need something to throw on top of the seeds. Dead vegetation or straw so the birds won't eat all the seeds. Seed to soil contact is important as well as moisture retention. Where did all the dead grasses/weeds go after you sprayed? Typically guys will mow or compact the dead stuff on top of their broadcasted seeds.

drycreek's embedded Photo

As much as I hate to do it, sometimes you just have to start over. It sounds like you need to. If you have a disc, then disc it as lightly as you can to get your seeds buried. That’s a start, but you need a mix of seeds that will shade your ground, mature at differing rates, and still provide food. If you plant wheat or rye, next spring it will be thin and your ground will bake again. To break this chain something needs to be growing for most all of the year. Dr. Grant Woods has some excellent videos on regenerative farming with respect to food plots. Watch some of his videos, you might get some ideas. This picture is my spring/summer plot here at home. It’s a Green Cover mix.

By: goyt

What are you planting? Do you still have a lot of dead roots once you get past the crust?Any idea what your soil quality is?

I would think you would be okay if you can seed before a rain.

Soil is sandy loam. PH is good. The plots are on a hillside. I first sprayed them in June hoping to plant Buckwheat. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I couldn’t plant. Now the fields are basically barren. There are some small weeds, coming up now. If I wait to plant in August, I might have some weeds that can become thatch when I spray again. I’m just not sure what to do.

For sure. Real small seeds like clover and brassicas and then I'd run at least a cultipacker over them right before a rain. It won't be as nice and thick as a drill or worked soil but I've done it before with pretty good results.

Date:20-Jul-23

I agree, wait for a rain and broadcast just before. Cultipack if you can, if not, a decent rain will do the job for you. I've done it before with much success. It never hurts to add more seed to your blend, germination maybe lower. BC

I agree with the guys above. I have planted small seeds like clover on hard, bare ground with good success provided that there was good rain to help with soil contact, germination and to keep the plants growing. If you are planting larger seed such as peas it may help work the soil first but weeds will be more of an issue. Rye grain does a great job of breaking up soil and adding organics to it. You may benefit from including some in your seed mix.

Thanks everyone. I’ll keep praying for some rain and plan accordingly.

It better be a sprinkle or they will wash away if on barren ground.What you are doing is throw and mow,no-till still drills seed in without tearing up soil.Even if you break the top layer right before a rain it could just wash away the soil also.Check out habitat-talk.com alot more habitat stuff than here

By: fdp

Depends on how hard "compacted" is. Here where I live it could be like broadcasting it on a paved road. Personally, if I wanted to give myself the best shot at getting a crop I would at the very least drag it to loosen up the top.

All validate comments. I have found that the more I can improve my soil with things like rye grain and crimson clover the more effective the broadcast planting is because the dead roots and the organics keep the soil looser. Rain will loosen the hard crust, the softer soil will hold the seeds and moisture and the plot has a good chance of being successful. If the soil is poor and hard there is little that can be done except to proceed forward and then adding seed at times of higher mositure like in September and by frost seeding. Work on improving the soil. It improves very quickly with some effort.

Hard compact soil is nearly impossible to grow anything on. Losen it up for sure.

Run a tiller over it or a landscape rake at a minimum. I would never throw seed directly on hard ground. Waste of money.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.