Winter oats vs whitetail oats
Food Plots
This thread designated as DEBATE FREE. All responses must be Constructive and Positive.
Messages posted to thread:
firemen 31-Jul-20
ND String Puller 31-Jul-20
t-roy 31-Jul-20
Buck Watcher 31-Jul-20
ND String Puller 31-Jul-20
BOHUNTER09 31-Jul-20
Stressless 31-Jul-20
sticksender 31-Jul-20
t-roy 01-Aug-20
happygolucky 01-Aug-20

Date:31-Jul-20

Going to try winter oats this year at $12 a 50 lbs bag vs $45 a bag 40lbs bag of whitetail oats.

I’ve used horse oats from the feed store many times and just broadcasted it heavy with an atv spreader. I‘ve also mixed in yellow forage peas they will climb the oat stems. It turned out so good I ended up cutting it for hay and sold it.

By: t-roy

I’d suggest getting seed oats vs just feed oats. Seed oats have less chance of having some weed seeds in them. They are a bit more expensive, but worth it, IMO. Agreed, the “deer head” bags of seed are usually WAY overpriced.

My buddy has tried many of the food plot brands (Whitetail Institute etc.). He told me the other day that the deer like the Winter Oats from the feed store the best. " Way cheaper too." he said.

The stuff I used was “premium” racehorse oats supposedly triple cleaned. Because there’s no one more picky about feed than horse owners. Lol I think it was like $12 for a 50 pound bag.

I’ve had good results with the horse oats

Cereal Rye

Back when I was still planting oats, I used feed oats with acceptable results. But now I plant cereal rye or wheat instead, due to their superior cold hardiness.

By: t-roy
Date:01-Aug-20

Agree with planting rye vs oats. There are additional benefits to rye the following spring as well.

Date:01-Aug-20

I personally always use a mix of oats and rye and I use the cheaper versus of oats. Give them a variety.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.