308 17-Aug-20
308 17-Aug-20
Ambush 23-Aug-20
308 18-Sep-20
t-roy 18-Sep-20
Ambush 21-Sep-20

By: 308
Date:30-Jun-20

New to sight, long time lurker.I have not tried t & m, more of a traditional light disking on all plots for the last 15 years or so. So here's my situation, due to time restraints this year I am unable to put as much time as usual into plots. I have a decent amount of rye in two different fields getting ready to go to seed. Some low growing weeds also in both fields need to be addressed. Is it possible to throw seed, purple tops, dwarf essex and forage radishes then spray with gly fertilize all in the same day? Possibly come back in a few days and mow. Thank you for your response in advance.

By: RIT

Sure it is. The challenge is spraying and effectively killing weeds that are under 5’ tall winter rye. When I spray I use a break away boom and if the WR is thick enough it trips my boom.

What I do when there is a fair amount of weeds below the WR is broadcast seeds into the standing vegetation, clip the WR just above the weeds, and then spray. Most of the time I don’t even go back and mow the weeds down. If you get a good kill those weeds won’t matter. After your brassicas are 4-6” tall you can hit with fertilizer if that’s your game. You can also broadcast more WR once they put on growth to fill in any bare spots and for additional forage.

Perfect, thank you for your reply. I almost always overseed with rye in all our plots around Labor day. I will follow up with a report on how it turns out.

How are the current soil conditions? I imagine they are better than if you had bare soil. But this time of year can be a challenge for rain depending on where you are located. I have some clay and any area not covered by vegetation is like concrete.

Date:01-Jul-20

We've had a fairly wet and cool spring, clover plots look great. Last couple of weeks has been dry. Right now the soil is ok but a little on the dry side. I would try and time this planting prior to some rain if possible. Again thanks for your reply.

happygolucky's Supporting Link

I do all T&M. I do not till at all in my plots. A lot of the reason is because of how sandy or soil is and tilling would ruin it. My plots are all under an acre too. I do drag the plots after seeding.

The link is from a very lengthy thread on T&M.

My plot is under 2 acres. I put down seed with a hand spreader. Typically also something like a 10-10-10. Once that is on the field, I spray and then dag the plot with a harrow rake behind my ATV. That helps knock things down plus the ATV tires help me get a little more seed-to-soil contact as I drive over them and the vegetation.

We have a 8 or 10 ft harrow available. Maybe I can use that with teeth up to knock down standing rye and get better seed to soil contact?

The standing WR is not going to stop the seed from getting to the soil if you seed it before you knock it down or mow it. You would be amazed at how much seed reaches the soil. I think the bigger problem is spraying thru tall rye.

By: Ambush

Ambush's embedded Photo

My rye finally came up, thick in some spots, sparse in others and not at all in about half of what I planted. My plan is to reseed the dead zones with rye Then leave the rest until I plant the brassicas/winter grub mix Into the standing rye then flatten with the new cultipacker.

Ambush's embedded Photo

Of course, in four foot tall, thick rye, you can’t see these little buggers until they scitter up a tree twenty feet away and you have to wonder where momma is.

By: APauls

Hey Rod, Just curious why you don't let the sparse winter rye keep standing if you're going to have it in your fall mix anyways? With the heads naturally reseed as you drive over? Or are you concerned that you need the thatch as cover for your new seed?

I may leave the sparse rye and just overseed rye into it. Or Roundup that along with the weed patches. The thick stuff I’m hoping has choked out the weeds and I’m hoping not to till it to bring more up. It’s been rainy for weeks and looks like it will continue, so might be a good time to seed more rye. Sure won’t be doing any Roundup any time soon. Sure wish I could get some buckwheat seed!

Oh, and I have no clue what I’m doing really.

By: APauls
Date:02-Jul-20

Prob have more of a clue then most! But also second guessing planting rye now? It would be too tall by hunting season. Deer don't really like it when it's past a foot tall, so unless you're growing it for the purpose of killing it in a month and then planting more of it. But I'm pure internet knowledge so don't really listen to anything I say lol

I find that rye height doesn’t matter that much but very dependent on time of year. 18” rye in December gets smashed. But 18” rye in August gets ignored. I have watched from the stand plenty of times as deer pluck 20” rye out from the base and eat the entire stalk in late November. Probably more to do with better options. Another thing to be aware of is the invasive species Buckthorn. If you have common Buckthorn and you plant before September 1st (zone 6A) it can cause an issue with Winter Rye. I have seen it with August planted WR. I don’t deny that deer eat WR but it’s not the magic bullet. I use WR in all my plantings and add it over the top of everything just for the root structure and soil building properties. I like to plant into last years WR and then a month later add the WR right back over the top.

By: lewis

My wife and I broadcast 10 lbs of sorghum over standing wheat and oats.I then bushogged It.Checked yesterday and we have a good stand.We shall see.Lewis

Date:22-Jul-20

Getting ready to seed dwarf essex, purple tops and groundhog radish. What rate or amount of seed per acre? These are throw and mow plots, thank you 308.

By: t-roy

Roughly 10# to the acre, maybe a touch more if just broadcasted. Turnips don’t do well if planted too heavily.

Thank you.

RIT’s first post really says it all. Only thing I would do is after seeding, pull a heavy cultipacker over the seed. If you don’t have a cultipacker, then drive over it with an ATV to get seed to soil contact.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Mark

RIT’s first post really says it all. Only thing I would do is after seeding, pull a heavy cultipacker over the seed. If you don’t have a cultipacker, then drive over it with an ATV to get seed to soil contact.

Mark

Mark

Date:23-Jul-20

Will do, thanks again.

Date:28-Jul-20

Got it done this weekend, very little rain in forcast. I will follow up with results. Thanks for everyone's help.

Date:17-Aug-20

Checked plots yesterday since planting 3 weeks ago. Less than 5% growth in all plots. We had a couple of good rains including 2 inches from the remnants of the hurricane on east coast. Followed advice from above. We are not blessed with good soil but have had this mixture produce in the past with light disking. Really dont know what happened? Going to plant some rye, oats and clover in these plots and call it.

You don’t need any tillage with small seeded brassicas. I recently did TNM with concrete like clay soil into standing vegetation and had very favorable germination on peas, beans, sunflowers, and radish. Did you address the weeds in the field? I can’t imagine your soil was worse off than what I planted into. How much vegetation did you have?

Yes, sprayed Roundup same day after seeding. Got a good kill on vegetation below standing or soon to be knocked over rye. The majority of the vegetation was last years rye. Amounts of rye and weeds were anywhere between medium amount to light. Some areas were fairly thick with rye. Each field fluctuated with amount of vegetation. What did grow was very random. Cost factor was minimal, just some seed and fertilizer. My problem is lack of time. Have about 3.5 acres to plant in rye and clover on Labor day weekend. Now I have these failed fields to contend with.

RIT's embedded Photo

TNM is a bit slower to establish than traditional tillage. In the end as far as production there is no real difference. Did you check and see if the seeds actually germinated? Not sure where you are located but birds, turkeys, and hogs, can play a roll. Soil conditions do matter here. If you planted on sand you could have gotten good germination but lack of rain and it wouldn’t take long for the roots to dry out and kill your plants. If you had little rain and clay (like me) your soil was probably hard as a brick. Just curious what kind of round up did you spray? There are varieties out there like round up max that have more than glyphosate in them. If it did have a residual there is one other potential issue. With those small seeds there shouldn’t have been germination issues. The key ingredient for germination is moisture first then you can talk about seed to soil contact, nutrients etc. I used TNM on big seeds on bad soil and still had quality germination. We are severely lacking moisture so big pressure is taking a toll on stressed plants.

Yes I walked through every field even pulled up some dead vegetation to see if there was any germination, very little if any. We used Tractor supply knock off Round up, 41% gly. Cant remember the name. Im sure birds and turkeys got their share of seed as usual, no pigs. We probably have some of the rockiest food plots known to man. That said, we've slowly have been building soil the best we can. We've been food plotting in the same fields with pretty fair results over the years. Soil test every few years, Lime as needed, fertilizer twice per year on clover plots and usally cut them 2-3 times per season. So as you can see we've had some success even in tough conditions with various plots including this mix. I know there are many possibilities as to what went wrong. Maybe next year I'll try it again on a smaller scale.

Round up knock off was Farmworks.

Date:23-Aug-20

Ambush's embedded Photo

I checked my plot today. Semi no till, planted almost three weeks ago. I was very pleased with the amount of germination. Being so late in the year I’m afraid the yield will be poor, but encouraging for next year. And while traveling around farm country, I picked up a hundred pounds of buckwheat for next spring.

Date:18-Sep-20

Got the above mentioned fields planted with BFO,rye and some medium red clover. Got it done the week before Labor day, looks pretty good so far. We're in a horrible dry spell here in the Northeast, hope we get some rain soon.

By: t-roy
Date:18-Sep-20

Any updates on how your plot’s looking, Rod? Looked encouraging to me, from the August pic.

Date:21-Sep-20

Troy, when I checked it about two weeks ago, it looked like nothing had grown and much was yellow from the continued cold and rain. I’ll look again sometime this week, but don’t have much hope. The deer typically crop off the tops in a few days as soon as we’ve had a couple hard frosts. Should only take a couple of hours this year.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.