Novembermadman 09-Jan-21
Novembermadman 09-Jan-21
MA-PAdeerslayer 09-Jan-21
35-Acre 11-Jan-21
JL 11-Jan-21
One Arrow 22-Feb-21

By: Dave
Date:18-Jun-20

I am looking at cellular cameras and packages. I have hunting land 5 hours from where I live. Verizon is my carrier. any suggestions?

By: JL

I don't have any cell cams but Moultrie seems offer decent deals. The big thing I would look at is the warranty....ie....who offers the best warranty and customer service.

I have Spartans and like them

By: Fuzzy

I don't have a cellar but any good surveillance camera should work, if your cellar is damp maybe a GoPro or something waterproof?

First year using the Cuddelink cell plan. So far it is working ok. Need to move one of the cameras that is not linking up, but I do like having multiple cameras out and only paying one cell plan. I think in the future I will invest in the solar panels so I won't have to worry about batteries. Right now they have been out less than a month so I can't comment on battery life.

By: Shiloh

I bought a Moultrie and it has worked good. The one thing that I have been overly impressed with is the battery life. I put it out early last fall and the battery is still at 89%. I don't get a ton of pics, but that is impressive.

I have a Moultrie. It’s been flawless. Sent about 20 pictures per day for 7 months on one set of alkaline batteries

By: shiloh

I did use Lithium batteries. Not sure how much difference they make

The new Stealth Cam Fusion looks interesting.

By: RIT

Reconyx is supposed to be shipping their new cellular cameras soon.

I have a Ridgtec cellular. The App is good the plan is good. I am not sure I love the camera. The detection circuit is out of this world probably to a detriment to the camera. On windy days I need to send different setting to the camera or end up with 125 photos of moving brush. I have picked up birds, squirrels and about everything in between. I have moved the camera 4 times. I feel like you need the perfect spot for that camera and not the perfect spot for a camera. You need to trim all vegetation in front of the camera. Night photos are pretty good but day photos can be blah. You need a higher MP rating to make the high def photos better but it comes at a price. I think overall it’s okay but I’m not sure I will add a second Ridgetec. Their customer service is really quick to respond and battery life has been fantastic also.

Spy point is also releasing a cell link this year that is supposed to allow you to turn any camera into a cellular camera. I have a few Reconyx I may try that on. I think it Retails for $59.

I just seen on the Reconyx Facebook they started shipping their new cell camera yesterday

I have a couple of the spypoint micro links out in Ohio which is 6hrs from my home in East Tennessee and they are working great so far. Pretty good pic quality too

Date:19-Jun-20

I would recommend the Spartan. I have three friends using them and all like using them.

I would be really interested to see someone run a test of a cell camera against the best camera, a reconyx and see what the cell cam might be missing? To me it’s the only real test of when a camera is any good! People will often say how their x brand camera works great but haven’t measured it against anything. Just my 2 cents

Mike, I have used the Spartan and Spypoint and if you want a quality picture in my opinion non of them will out perform the regular camera quality. The cell cam is just a nice tool to have if you hunt property out of state or further away from home and you want to keep tabs on action.

Very happy with my covert code black. Runs all year with the solar panel and takes good enough photos for my needs. It missed at least a few animals walking past that I know of....but so has every traditional camera I have owned.

I've run several generations of the Coverts, on both AT&T and Verizon. They've all been pretty much problem-free. Covert is constantly upgrading and tweaking features. Of course they send low-res pics across the cellular network, in order to save bandwidth, but the newer models allow you to request a high-resolution image remotely if you want one. Battery life is entirely dependent on the number of triggers, but with average use I normally get several months use out of a set of 12 AA copper-tops.

I’m looking at getting some cell cameras too and picture quality is one of my least concerns. My biggest concern is the camera missing taking a picture of a big animal that may only come by once or twice a year but it’s a critical piece in understanding movement patterns, especially in a non baited, non farm crop area. I’ve run multiple cameras at one spot and some cameras will completely miss an animal. A camera that is too sensitive is as much a problem as one that isn’t sensitive enough.

Date:29-Jun-20

I have been using covert Black hawks for a few years. So far the best option I have found. I still have a few areas that I don't get a signal but much better than the others I have tried for getting a signal. Cellular cameras have come a long way in the last ten years.

Date:06-Jul-20

Milhouse's embedded Photo

I have mostly Spypoints Micro links out.... I have heard a ton of horror stories about them, but mine work well, and take a lot of pics. I also have 2 Spartans, one has worked well, the other has been a real PITA. I really like the HD photo option on the Spypoints,

By: PECO

Good topic as a friend and I were talking about these cameras just a few days ago. My question is cost, of the plan?

Covert subscription plans:

https://www.covertscoutingcameras.com/covert-wireless/

Milhouse's embedded Photo

Here is a screenshot of Spypoints rates... you get 100 free photos per month. HD photos are $5/50... and you just pick when you want to see a photo in high def.

I have heard their customer service is terrible. So far, i haven't had to use it. The micro link cameras run about $130-$150 retail, depending on where you buy them. I don't have my Spartans out yet, but I'm sure one is getting sent back in, unless it some self corrected in the last 6 months.

By: Zim

Avoid Bushnell wireless cams. I've been running them for 4 years, and for 4 years running each of the cameras has broke or stopped functioning prior to making it through a full season (often right as the season is starting). The only reason I haven't switched is because each time it breaks they apologize profusely and send me that year's "new and improved" version. Then it breaks, they apologize, I get a free upgrade, etc, haha. I like some of Bushnell's other things but their wireless cams have to be a massive financial drag on the organization...not sure what's going on.

Those rates are not bad, much less than I thought.

Those rates are not bad, much less than I thought.

Anyone have any experience with browning defender?

By: iplumb
Date:07-Jul-20

I have been running a spypoint Link Evo on my farm for two years. Picture quality is not the best, and pretty sketchy at night. That could also be attributed to where I have it and lack of background for the flash to bounce back. I love their interface, which can be done on an app, and also on a PC to pull up the grainy thumb nail pictures and enlarge them. I do have an extension antenna on it to help signal and it only needs batteries twice a year. It takes a lot of pictures. I have been testing a new Recoynx Cell cam in the back yard for the past week. So far so good. I'm heading to the farm this week to put it out and get some real feedback. I'm hoping there is enough signal there to run it properly.

Mike

Date:09-Jul-20

I bought a Moultrie

Date:09-Jul-20

Iplumb - I’d be very interested to know how that Reconyx cell works out for you. I’ve been running their regular trail cams for years - great product.

Date:13-Jul-20

Look at the Bigfoot cameras from Western Recreation in Poncha Springs, CO for a great value. Give them a call and ask for Morgan, she will get you all the information you need. I've got them but just use as a normal trail camera as I don't have cell service in my area. But I've seen lots a great pics off them from other spots and will work with about any major cell carrier.

By: Bake

I bought 3 Moultries on AT&T this year. They've been out about 2 weeks. Not enough time for a thorough review. We'll see how they last throughout the year and next.

So far they seem to be fine. I've got them set at places right now where deer will stop, so reaction time isn't as important. Come the first of October, I'll move them all to yearly scrape trees.

I bought too big of a plan for them. Will adjust that down next month. But Moultrie is apparently doing some new plans starting this week or next. Where you can bundle. So we'll see how that goes.

I'll post a pic from this morning in the next post, that is low-res. I haven't requested any high res pics yet.

By: Bake

Bake's embedded Photo

Date:15-Jul-20

Spartan Go Cams. I have 6 and like them very much

By: Wvhoyt
Date:19-Jul-20

I'm loving my new Reconyx cell.

JL's Supporting Link

I came across this RidgeTec cam a day or so back on a TCP review Youtube. What may be of interest to some is it comes with the Verizon and AT&T sim cards so you can switch out if want without having to buy another cam. They have US plans and Canadian plans.

Have a covert, one SPYPOINT link evo and a couple SPYPOINT micro. Been really unhappy with the SPYPOINT service and cameras. . Cameras stop transmitting frequently and customer service tells me just to reformat etc. problem is they are 650 miles away. Been happy with the covert, will probably use them exclusively This year. I am on Verizon.

By: coach
Date:22-Jul-20

I have a bigfoot that I really like. no monthly fee, you just purchase pictures. I bought like 10,000 for $40 or something. When you run out you can purchase more. I would recommend the solar charger as when it is cold it goes through batteries fairly quick.

Date:22-Jul-20

I have been running 3 Spartan GoCams the last 4 years or so (2 vintages, 3g and LTE). So far have worked fantastic. Lithium batteries are a cell cams best friend. Every feature i could ever ask for.

My dad has been running a Moultrie mobile for a little over a year. Been working well for the most part, but has had some minor bugs. Trying to make a setting change remotely has caused it to freeze up, having to go out and reset it. Taking a bunch of false images with temp change throughout day, connectivity problems on the first one, they sent him a new one. Image quality is less.

But the saying you get what you pay for comes into play. 300+ for the Spartans, and i think he spent 120 for his moultrie after rebate.

Date:23-Jul-20

I used a Ridgetec cell camera for a 120 days.

What I found is that you need to find the perfect spot for that Camera. I’d prefer to find a perfect spot for a camera.

It took me about 5 tries to find the right location. The detection circuit is good. Probably too good. I have never had more blank photos or things like birds in my life. On windy days I had to change the camera settings to a one hour quiet time per photo or I would end up with hundreds of game less photos. The night photos were decent the daytime photos were okay. Even when requesting high def photos it was all very reliant on the original resolution in which the photo was recorded.

After having the camera in the field for about 100 days my battery level went to 75% on the app. The next day the camera stopped responding. I went out and replaced the batteries and the camera would not reconnect to the network. I called Ridgetec and they said it’s probably the firmware. Okay so I pull the camera and download the last 5 available firmware version. I flashed the camera with all 5 versions and never could get it to connect. Ridgetec tried to tell me that it’s the tower. Little did he know I have 20 years of cellular experience. I had already pulled the data from the cellular tower and knew that wasn’t the problem. They directed me to another department and I couldn’t get the help I needed. Their customer service was decent on the few issues I had. This is probably a viable low cost option for some that want to dip into the cellular arena. I called TCP and explained everything to them. Even though it was outside the return period they offered me a refund and I took it. I’m not sure why anyway would buy a camera from anyone else. Nothing but top notch customer service.

The camera did work and I did get plenty of deer. The app is great but overall I was not happy with the performance of the camera.

Date:27-Jul-20

I just ordered the new Tactacam Reveal. I will share results next month.

Date:28-Jul-20

Just deployed 2 Reconyx cellular cams. The app is really basic.. Kind of surprised it’s so basic coming from Reconyx but it does work for the most part. There is a glitch with American Express and the app cannot process the 4 digit security code so the app thinks I have 3 cameras instead of 2 as I tried to activate the first cam with an AE card. I’ve yet to call customer service to get it corrected. I expect the app will get a few upgrades as we move forward. The camera itself is the same sturdy design as you would expect from Reconyx. The thumbnail from the app is loads better than the Ridgetec. You can also email or text the photo right from the app which is nice. One thing I don’t like is that you can’t sort photos from different cams without putting in a filter. Kind of a pain but I suspect it will get fixed. So far the cams are catching everything I’d expect. There are a few features I have not played with yet like the real time live mode but I will before long.

Date:29-Jul-20

I have the Moultrie Mobile and Cuddelink. I have been using the Moultrie for a few years so my experience is with the camera and the modem separate and have 2 sets. I really don't have really anything negative to say about them. Battery life is good and you are able to track it on the app and make changes to camera delay etc. It is usually about 2-3 minutes for you to get the notification that you have a pic. I have mine set for immediate but you can have them sent to you immediate, once a day or twice a day.

Last year was my first with the Cuddelink. I have a non-cell home camera at my shed and 8 Cuddelink cameras spread out on my property. I live about 5 minutes from my farm and I didn't want to mess with setting up the cell plan etc. so I just swap out the card every few days.

These cameras take a little getting used to in setting up but when you do I have been happy with it. The one huge drawback is the battery life. I had to get external back up battery packs by Cuddeback otherwise my J cameras were dead in 30 days. I have one Cuddelink that I put out last September with an external backup battery pack that I just got a notification that the batteries were low. The others I picked up this spring and I just had not gotten back to grab this one camera.

Date:30-Jul-20

Just picked up my 4th Spartan. Easy to set up, easy to use...no issues so far after 2 years of use on the first 3.

Date:31-Jul-20

The new Tacta Cam Reveal sure has great picture quality! I’ll be getting one soon

Date:03-Aug-20

I put the tactacam reveal up yesterday. I am only 93 pictures in but so far I am impressed. This is my first cell camera. It was easy to set up and a good value based on other camera prices. More to come

Date:31-Dec-20
standswittaknife's Supporting Link

I'm a big fan of Bigfoot... good pics, good service, and good on price...

Heres my question ,which i have not seen addressed,, how well does the cam pick up signal in an area where say if you cam is linked to Verizon and the coverage is iffy, especially down in creek bottoms, draws, valleys??? Thx for any replies

Last savage, I can't speak to specific cameras, but as someone who was in telecom tech for 34 years, I can tell you that reception can vary from camera to camera brand and model, same as with cell phones. If you've ever been someplace where you have signal but your buddy doesn't, or has one bar when you have three, you know what I mean.

Date:01-Jan-21

Bowfinatic 's embedded Photo

Another vote for tactacam here. I have 4 and have been really impressed

By: Slate
Date:01-Jan-21

Spypoint Link Micro LTE. As stated above it’s a great tool pictures aren’t perfect. No cell camera is. I bought 4 of these for $99 each. Just remember to do updates it’s easy.

Date:03-Jan-21

Thx lou..

I’m reluctant to jump on that bandwagon...basically stationary drones

Tacta Cam if you can find one to purchase;sounds like available in spring.So far excellent.

Date:04-Jan-21

I also have Tacta Cam Revea and it is awesome. Plus I added a top ring light to it, which is great when it gets very dark. I found it in an article about the top ring light for your videos and photos review that my friend threw me. the fact is that I was just looking for a backlight that can be adjusted so that you are not visible from afar. And so that the quality of the photo is not lost.

great topic

Please advise books on this topic.

So far I have one model Muddy and another Stealth cam, they use the same app. They both suck.

I am also using a Browning Defender pro scout, this has worked very well so far as far a camera function and picture quality. The app is slightly buggy with its log in at times however for the most part its functional. I plan on adding two or three more of these to my line up.

I will also be trying the Exodus wireless version when it comes in stock as I have had good luck with their Lift series.

Date:09-Jan-21

Novembermadman 's embedded Photo

For $99 you can't go wrong with a Tactacam Reveal. I bought one this fall, was very impressed, so I bought 3 more! The only downfall I have found is battery life. But, that seems to be an issue with most all cell cameras. To be more specific, I get about 6-7 weeks of life out of a set of batteries (alkaline). Little better with lithium batteries. I like how it sends you a warning to your phone when the batteries are getting low. The picture quality I thought was exceptional at night.

Novembermadman 's embedded Photo

Hey Novembermadman try using lithium batteries. I get MONTHS on my reveals. I change probably once a year amd there out for probably 9-10 months. Sometimes all 12!!

Date:11-Jan-21

For cell-connected cameras, you have to make sure that you have cell reception in your hunting area. There is no special technology to get you connected if you don't have it.

I use the Spypoint Cell-Link connected to my existing trail cams (Moultrie and 2 different models of cheap wild game innovations). I like that they can be connected to just about any cam out there.

I have 3 out in the field. I pay for pics on one of the 3 because it's in a higher traffic area. But it's great to have these out all year round. I've had them in the field since they first came out. The only downside is that they take 8 AA batteries. But those seem to last many months (mine were out for 6 months and I swapped the batteries just to make sure I don't have to go out again in the middle of winter.)

Date:11-Jan-21
JL's Supporting Link

Here is a listing of new cell cams for 2021. The new Moultrie Delta cell cam seems to be stirring some interest on other sites too. With a MSRP of $99....I guess they're challenging the Tactacam folks.

Date:22-Feb-21

I have used Arlo’s the last 2 years... rechargeable battery pack and can go “live” anytime I want. Very small and easily hidden. Only draw back is that they don’t take photos, just video. Kind of cool over a food plot with the “live” option.

I also own Spartans, the work good as well, I believe they are going to have a “live” feature soon. They eat batteries though, but a external source helps.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.