JL 22-Apr-20
Teeton 22-Apr-20
blue spot 22-Apr-20
JL 22-Apr-20
blue spot 22-Apr-20
CAMP DAVID 28-Apr-20

By: JL
Date:21-Apr-20

I did a search and didn't see much posted on the newer 4 gallon backpack sprayers. Looking around on Google land I see there are alot of them. Some of the reviews were not good on some of them. I was considering getting one, likely a pump vs the diaphragm one as I didn't plan on spraying anything with particulates or powders. The Chapin ones seemed to get decent reviews. Which ones should be avoided? Gracias....

I like the "no leak pump" models with the Roundup emblem I get mine at Tractor Supply. $89 if I remember right. I use a bunch of them for herbicide, pesticide and marking timber to sell with a different hand piece. I have run a variety of liquid through them and none of my dozen plus units have leaked on me. Back pack sprayers from other manufacturers have leaked on me including piston and diaphragm pumps. It will work in temperatures as cold as you will want to work, except maybe if your a tough Canadian or Alaskan. I have used them down to about zero.

The pump comes apart and is easy to disassemble to clean or remove a chunk of $#it that finds it's way in there. The company also honors the guarantee on the box of replacing parts if needed. On mine after extended exposure to some chemicals the juncture where the pressure chamber joins the pump gets flexible. Get a new one through customer service and your good to go. Have two or more of the part and let it dry/harden and you might have to change parts once a month if you use it all the time. Once you have changed the part once or twice you can do it in 5 minutes or so. Despite what that sounds like I will continue to use these sprayers until they get discontinued. Dependable and very easy to maintain.

I have seen the no leak pump ones and was wondering if those were actually no leaking.

I bought a Chapin one a few years ago. It has worked well. Got mine off Amazon, it was cheap and free shipping.

Bill

I have had a couple diaphragm pumps rip on me due to freezing temperatures and a couple Solo brand piston pumps leak on me. I have had none of the "no leak" sprayers leak on me. I get them at Tractor Supply with the Roundup label on them but I have seen them labeled slightly different at Home Depot for a fairly cheap product they work good and they stand behind their guarantee. I believe Fountain Head is the manufacturer or parent company.

I have had a couple diaphragm pumps rip on me due to freezing temperatures and a couple Solo brand piston pumps leak on me. I have had none of the "no leak" sprayers leak on me. I get them at Tractor Supply with the Roundup label on them but I have seen them labeled slightly different at Home Depot for a fairly cheap product they work good and they stand behind their guarantee. I believe Fountain Head is the manufacturer or parent company.

Date:22-Apr-20

JL's embedded Photo

That is one thing I did not want....the sprayer leaking on me. Especially if Round-up is in it. I haven't checked out the sprayers at Tractor Supply yet. The local Farm and Fleet had this Smith NL400 on sale for $79 at the moment. One thing I beginning to notice is the sturdier ones have metal wands.

By: Teeton

Last year I started spraying a place I bought in 2018, it had a 9 or 10 acre pond but you could not walk around the pond because there was hundreds of multiflora rose bushes around it. Some of them 7, 8 foot or more high. I first started out with a handheld 1.5 gallon sprayer, spraying a tank at a time, when I would go up to there. As the only clean water was water from my house. It was not so bad at the front of the pond where I only had to walk a few hundred yards to spray. But then I started to spray around the sides and back side and the 1.5 gal tank was not cutting it. I did get a 4 gallon sprayer from Harbor Freight that looks just like this one in my link. It came with a few different tips and a rebuilt kit. It only cost $19.95 and it looks like just like the one link. I did run about 10 tanks through it last year with no problems and filled it up this past weekend to use at the pond as a Indian tank as I starting to cut and burn the rose bushes around the front of the pond. I stored the tank indoors after washing it out and stored it with water inside to help keep the seals in the tank in good work order. It worked as good as last year. No it's not a professional tank by no means and I've didn't have it leak "YET". Most if not all the old logging roads are filled in with or have rose in them or on the sides of them. So I've declared war on them. The roads that I sprayed last year I cut the rose off over the winter to make passable. I got a 1/2 gal of BrushTox last week for this years battle. There's some bushes I've missed and some new young one popping out in the areas I sprayed last year, so as soon as they start to flower out I'm going to start the battle.

Link,,,

https://www.amazon.com/ITISLL-Backpack-Leak-Free-Telescopic-Polyethylene/dp/B085MGYXQS/ref=sr_1_19?dchild=1&keywords=4+gallon+backpack+sprayer&qid=1587571390&sr=8-19

Thanks. That's a great deal on a 4 gallon sprayer if it works and doesn't leak.

JL's Supporting Link

This might be it?

By: Teeton

That it, I often see them for 19.95. It's worked good for me so far but, I've only had it for really one season. It's not what Blue Spot uses as he probably puts a 100+ gallons thru one of his in a season. Mine came with a rebuilt kit for the pump with other type tips. After this year I'm hope to not have to use it so much, but ever few years just to keep the rose down. This year I will clean it and put dielectric silicone on all the seals when I put it away. With work I have ton of that silicone.

JL, the sprayer you included a picture of is the same one I have, just made with a different label. Yes I send a few gallons through in a year.

For bigger jobs we have the motorized mist blowers that can reach 30plus feet out and maybe 20 feet up in the air. A good tool to keep your distance from those damn multiflora rose!

JL's embedded Photo

Blue, thanks. I checked them out at HF and they had them. They also had these 12v, 15gl ATV sprayers for $100. I wasn't looking at anything like this but someone else may be interested.

Yes I have a 15 gallon sprayer just like that one. Fits on an TV very nicely and very convenient to drive around and spray stuff or drive along a road edge or fence line. My tank feeds a mist blower that covers a 30-40 foot swath for when I need a bigger paint brush. You can connect it to your ATV wiring with a quick connect like for a simple set of trailer lights. Very convenient.

The thing I would remind every one to do is thoroughly rinse your sprayer out when your done. Because the residue from the previous pesticide may damage the crop you are treating with a different pesticide. While I learned this and to some degree knew this from my study manuals you learn it even better when you damage a crop by not following this protocol. This is why I keep a fleet of those no leak sprayers so I don't have to worry about using pesticide neutralizer in my sprayer every time I treat with a different pesticide. $80 is pretty cheap relative to cleaning and rinsing a sprayer every time you change crop or pesticide.

Date:28-Apr-20

CAMP DAVID's MOBILE embedded Photo

I have owned this sprayer from SOLO for years. It's awesome!!!

Well worth the money.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.