sjmandy 15-Apr-20
t-roy 16-Apr-20
sjmandy 16-Apr-20
sjmandy 16-Apr-20
sjmandy 16-Apr-20
t-roy 16-Apr-20
X-Master 17-Apr-20

Date:07-Apr-20

I have two questions on fertilizing my plots in the Northeast.

First, I was planning on fertilizing my clover plots this month ( April) with 5-20-20 but due to the virus crisis, I may not be able apply it until June/July. Is that too late?

Secondly, after two failed attempts in planting Purple Top Turnips, I believe I have figured out that I have a Nitrogen problem. As a result. I am going to put down Urea ( 42-0-0). My question is when do I apply it? Now or when I plant at the end of July?

Any help with both of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

I would put the nitrogen on when you work the ground just prior to planting. Otherwise you will loose some of the nitrogen.

I would wait and fertilize at the same time you seed. I would put down a N around 22 to get it germinated and once it’s up and coming apply the urea then. IMO I think if you apply fertilizer and then delay seeding a couple days you are likely allowing the weeds to get established before your crop germinates.

Date:08-Apr-20

I forgot to include in my question #1...my clover plots are all existing plots.

By: Teeton
Date:08-Apr-20

Clover plots are growing right now so it would of been best to fertilize now. But we are in a unique time, so I think if you can not get them fertilized you just can't. As for your turnips I would try to get the fertilizer disc in and planted very soon after, like within few days. Are you discing you turnip plot,? I had very hard ground in a small section of a turnip plot and the turnip didn't do good there. The rest was good. That was my guess. The follow year got the whole plot disced and that part of the plot was good. Nitrogen evaporates quickly so I always like to disc it in if you can. Yes there are times you just can't and on top is better than none if needed. Ed

Date:15-Apr-20

Hey guys...since this thread is in regards to the northeast and clover I was wondering if anyone out there from northwest Pennsylvania knows where I can acquire bulk bags of 0-45-0 and 0-0-60 fertilizer? All I can find are small 4 lb bags. Not cost effective or pratical. HELP PLEASE! Thanks!

By: t-roy
Date:16-Apr-20

Are you anywhere near ag country, sjmandy? If so, you should be able to go to most any co-op and have them custom mix, pretty much any fertilizer combination that you would request.

Hi. There's some farming up north...mostly for cattle grazing-hay cutting. my problem is I can't seem to find these "co-ops" everyone refers to. Was hoping someone had a name/number or address of a place that could address need. Tractor Supply, Rural King, Home Depot, Lowes are all no goes. Can't believe I can't find something somewhwere.

Hi. There's some farming up north...mostly for cattle grazing-hay cutting. my problem is I can't seem to find these "co-ops" everyone refers to. Was hoping someone had a name/number or address of a place that could address need. Tractor Supply, Rural King, Home Depot, Lowes are all no goes. Can't believe I can't find something somewhwere.

(sorry about the dup post guys)

Our property lease is in Venango county. I just can't believe there's nothing around here. What do the the farmers do? Any direction/suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks Jake.

By: t-roy

Ask some of the farmers in the area where they get their fertilizer.

Date:17-Apr-20

Steve, You may want to contact Zanella Feed Mill in West Sunbury- Northern Butler county. They supply most farmers in the area and stock a pretty good selection of fertilizers for food plotters or can special order. the # is 724-637-2864.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.