Deerplotter 12-Jan-20
sagittarius 13-Jan-20
BullBuster 13-Jan-20
Candor 13-Jan-20
BullBuster 04-Feb-20
Candor 05-Feb-20
brettpsu 06-Feb-20

Date:11-Jan-20

I started a thread a couple years ago about raising ph with liquid calcium. I was pretty much crucified by some haters. Well, I haven't got a soil tests for 3 years. Just sprayed 2 1/2 gallons of LC a year on each of 5 of my fields. Just got my soil tests back today. My worst field, basically a rock garden, was 6.1. Others were 7.2, 7.1, 6.5 and 7.0. I can't get a lime truck to any of the fields. I'll never lift another bag of pel lime in my lifetime.

Where can one by liquid cal. We are now able to spread lime with our equipment but some would be easier.

I've gotten it @ my seed guy and tractor supply

Killbuck, how do you know how much to use, or are you just winging it ? I have some plots that are too small to get a lime truck in and have to lime them with bag lime and a cyclone spreader. Spraying would definitely be easier.

Mostly just winging it. Read somewhere years ago I jug was about one ton of lime. Don't know for sure but it sure works for me.

I sprayed it last summer on one plot. I will be submitting soil test next week.

I think you better do a tutorial here, on the cuff naturally:-) Seems like some interest.....

I put 2 1/2 gallons of 18% cal in my 25 gallon sprayer & cover about an acre. Spray til it's gone.

Put it on living vegetation, dead vegetation, or dirt?

all of the above

Usually after I kill and before I till. Before a rain on established plots.

Usually after I kill and before I till. Before a rain on established plots.

oops

Thanks, and where did they start at (pH)?

5.5-6

Does that jug weigh 2000#?

By: Candor

What is liquid calcium? What I am trying to understand is how it would work with such a low mass addition to the soil.

When you are raising your pH, you are trying to "get rid of" your free hydrogens. Lime does it by reacting the oxygens with the hydrogen. So you need one oxygen per two hydrogens. I believe that is what you are accomplishing applying lime (CaCO3)?

So you need a fair amount of something to pick up a bunch of your hydrogens in your soil.

I am not understanding how liquid calcium works to raise pH.

jug is 2.5 gallons. Don't understand anything candor said and don't care! What I'm doing works. Spread ag lime if you want to! I'll never do it again. I've only been plotting for 22+ years so maybe you have more experience.

KB...I was not trying to have a contest to see who has planted longer or trying to diminish what you were saying. Nor was I saying liquid lime does not work. I was simply saying it is not logically obvious to me how it works and asking for someone to 'splain it.

From what I have learned over the years is that when adding lime to soil, it is not the calcium that changes the pH, but the oxygen that is part of the lime. I'll do some googling and see if I can understand it.

I don't understand it and don't understand the chemistry involved. I just think it could help a lot of off the grid plotters.

Candor, PM sent.

Killbuck, my half-assed memory is trying to tell me that I’ve seen this mentioned before. I can’t remember if it was Nutritionist on here or someone on some other forum, but I’ve read it before. Nevertheless, I’m looking into it. Thanks !

drycreek's embedded Photo

And this is what I found.....

Date:12-Jan-20

Thanks

By: gdaddy

Tractor Supply sells liquid Calcuim Chloride. Is that what you are using?

it was 18% cal. I think I still have a jug in the barn. I'll check

I own a certified organic farm. I purchase liquid calcium in 55 gallon drums. It was raise your ph in 30 days. Higher PH also surpresses weed growth.

What is the cost of the 2.5 gal jug of liquid cal?

Date:13-Jan-20

Calcium Chloride is a strong salt used for liquid filling tractor tires for added weight. DO NOT spray that on your fields!

Check out Agritec International

I did a search to try to understand the reactions involved and how it works out from a mass basis. This was one of the top hits. I am not saying it does not work, I just would think it could be explained comparatively to the mass of materials used to react with the hydrogens from classic lime application.

https://www.no-tillfarmer.com/articles/9286-liquid-calcium-study-shows-little-ph-effect?v=preview

Date:04-Feb-20

Got my soil tests back. I used recommended amount plus. Soil went from 6.0 to 6.1. Worthless.

Date:05-Feb-20

Thank you for reporting back. Everything I have read that is an objective scientific review says it does not work as touted.

Date:06-Feb-20

I've been using Liquid Cal for 4 or 5 years on a few plots I can't get large lime spreaders into. Liquid does make calcium readily available to the plant but it does little to nothing for the soils PH. Liquid form is great for short term, if you want to spray it a few times per year, but I've had zero PH gain in the years I've used it.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.