lewis 02-Dec-19
Pat Lefemine 02-Dec-19
lewis 02-Dec-19
Mark Watkins 19-Dec-19
lewis 19-Dec-19
LKH 19-Dec-19

By: lewis
Date:01-Dec-19

Looks like I’m forced to fence my soybeans next year. What charger works best for you Better with wire or tape Who is leaving the wire in the field just putting down and is this working Any thoughts would be appreciated Thanks Lewis

I used the hotzone setup last year and did great, but the solar charger does not work very well. Using a car battery you'll still need to change the batteries about every 3 weeks on the low setting. Otherwise pretty good setup.

Thanks Ky any and all information really helps Lewis

Watching - same issue here. I need to fence in my plot.

Not sure if it would or not honestly. You might look into lithiums as well, however it seemed like most internet searching I did recommended those type batteries. I will probably discuss it with my local cattle fence company and see what options they have for chargers and batteries. I mean 3 weeks is still pretty good as I feel like I need to keep an eye on the crops anyway, but if it's not financially crazy a different battery/solar panel might work out better.

I use a deep discharge marine battery on my fence. Runs about 6 weeks on a full charge

By: LKH

I've posted this before. I have fences that have been working since 2001. Most of the chargers the farm supply companies seem to work well. Only one has failed. I leave mine run year long.

Use heavy gauge metal wire with two rows. Inside has 2 wires 12" and 42". Outside is about 28" and 18" out.

My plots are about 350' by 40 to 100'.

By: t-roy

Lots of good threads and info on this subject on the Deerbuilder forum.

For $400-$800 you can get really hot 12v solar power units. They run on 12v battery and also have a solar panel to charge battery. I have some that run 2 miles of fence and run year round without maintenance. But usually only get 1yr out of my 12v batteries. I also use the "reman" tractor batteries, they are only $40 at my local coop

KsRancher's embedded Photo

Like this one. 12v battery goes inside and connects with leads. Solar panel charges battery. Practically no maintenance.

t-roy's embedded Photo

I’ve got several solar chargers that I use. This one is the best of the bunch. I’ve used the marine batteries with good results as well.

Date:02-Dec-19

Thanks all who has tried the tape vs the wire and who has pulled the wire down as opposed to rolling it up.Looks like that would work Lewis

The tape is WAY easier to utilize, but I think the wire carries the charge better. The tape also breaks down over time, due to UV rays and, with the persistent flapping in the wind, some of the wires woven into the tape start to break and lose some of their ability to carry the charge as well. I’m starting to transition over to a wire on all of the outside strands of the fence. It’s definitely more work, at least initially, due to having to set corner posts to be able to stretch and hold the heavier wire up vs being able to just use tee posts for corners on the tape. It is also less visible than the tape, so the deer are more likely to run into it. I use my old turbo tape on the top, inside strand on the fencing for visibility. I don’t electrify it, just the bottom, inside strand as well as the outside wire. I roll up all of the inside strands of the turbo wire and turbo tape in the fall each year, but just push and pin the outside steel wire down to the ground with some rebar stakes that resemble a candy cane. This keeps the deer from tearing it up by getting tangled up in it. If you’re using the turbo tape and turbo wire, I’d recommend rolling it up each fall, instead of leaving it out all year. It seems to last several years longer that way.

Great info t-Roy what are you using for your corner posts thanks a lot Lewis

I’m just using some treated wooden posts with short corner bracing to keep the wires from pulling the posts up. I can’t find any pics right now but I’ll try a take a few this afternoon on the way into the stand (if I don’t forget)

Hope you stick one Lewis

t-roy's embedded Photo

I spooked him off when I crawled out of the tree to take this pic for you, lewis! :-(

JK! Hope this pic helps. The brace is a regular 8’-9’ metal cornerpost brace that I cut in two pieces to be able to get 2 braces out of each one. I cut a small groove in the short bracing post that the cut end of the metal brace sits in to hold it in place.

Well s??hit damn I owe you please forgive me Lewis

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

My beans are no longer fenced. The deer can't keep up with them. However, when I did fence them (about 2 acres) I used the solar/battery chargers sold at Tractor Supply. They worked OK. Just make sure your posts are wood, and if they are steel T-posts make sure the wire is not touching or else it will ground out and kill your zap. Also, it's a good idea to spray a 2' swath of Amine or Glyfo under your wire. You lose a lot of zap when the grass and weeds grows into the lower wire.

As far as wire or tape? Tape for me. Wire is cheap and convenient but like T-roy said too many issues with deer running into it. THe high visibility tape is a deterrent by itself and works great when it's hot.

Great suggestions all thanks so much for sharing Lewis

Date:19-Dec-19

Great ideas. thoughts and info here!

Thank you!

Mark

Yes it is Merry Christmas all Lewis

By: LKH

I had a device made that sits in the back of my pickup. I use it to wind up and let down the heavy metal wire when I move it to a new tree/brush patch. Some of the wire is nearly 20 years old and in great shape.

Deer running into it has never been an issue.

My device uses old tire rims with 1"x1/4" pieces welded on to enlarge the capacity. At one time I had about 3 miles of wire out. Down to 2 plots since most of the trees are too big for the deer to mess with. I can wind up or put down more wire by myself. Much faster than tape and unlike tape, won't be pushed down by snow.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.