Thornton 08-Sep-19
Shiras42 09-Sep-19
Starfire 10-Sep-19
BigOzzie 10-Sep-19
t-roy 10-Sep-19
SmoothieJonez 13-Sep-19

Date:05-Sep-19

SmoothieJonez's MOBILE embedded Photo

I have access to a new property this year (128 acres), the majority of which is bean fields and I was wondering if someone can tell me what type of beans these are (pic attached) and when are they usually harvested? I live southern New England. The property is leased to a farmer who I have yet to bump into, ask myself.

Many thanks in advance

Date:06-Sep-19

I wouldn't be too concerned with when they are harvested. I hunt a lot of areas with soybeans and the deer will use them for a food source after harvest as long as the stubble is not worked under. They will flock to a newly harvested field for a few days to find the grain on the ground and later they apparently feed on the stalks and hulls. The bottom line is deer in my part of the country use soybeans from the time they come up in May or June until the stubble is worked under.

I'm guessing the farmer sells the harvested soybeans since there is no live stock on the property. If he left the crop til winter, is it still worth harvesting?

Great when they're green, and great when they are brown in late season.

Chances are he won’t leave it until winter. Not worth harvesting when they are dried out. Plus, they will be gobbled up pretty quickly. We had a neighbors leave 20 acres in beans last winter. I stopped counting deer at 100 every night I drove by.

Less than 20dpsm in this zone I hunt. Not enough hardwoods to hold that many deer. But like you say, the crop will be harvested sometime in October.

Thanks again for your input

By: timex

lots of corn & beans in my area but especially in the early season I concentrate on white oaks. now I'm not a horn hunter but ya can watch the fields with a good pair of binos & usually the buck's will show themselves before dark & you can hunt the trails they used to the field

By: wildan
Date:07-Sep-19

They must be dry to harvest;seen it done as late as January(Northern NY).

By: AccMan
Date:07-Sep-19

Talk with the farmer and offer him a little cash to leave one or more acres in one corner of the field. When the leaves begin to yellow, but before they fall off, go in and sow cereal rye and turnips. Easy food plot which should be great hunting. Figure out the best place to leave the beans based on prevailing wind for your best success.

Date:08-Sep-19

Not sure what your weather is like, but where I'm at it's not uncommon to see bachelor herds of bucks on green soybeans all summer. They tend to stop using them as much when they turn yellow but will start again after harvest when the weather turns cold. A few years ago I watched 13 bucks and 12 does on my soybeans on a summer evening

Date:09-Sep-19

Thornton is correct from what I have seen. They hit the beans heavily until they yellow and then will hit the corn more. When they start to yellow it goes fast, but it also a good time to find a smaller patch in a corner that is still pretty green and concentrate on that.

Date:10-Sep-19

In my area they hit the beans early to eat the leaves then they abandon them when they start to turn yellow. However, they will come back to them after the pods dry out (I don't know why that is. Are the pods tough to chew before they dry out?). One thing I recently learned is when it comes to bean harvest, yield will depends on how level the field is. If the field is level they can run the combine lower to the ground and I would assume leave less residue. so from a hunting perspective I would think an un-level field would be best and hope they do not till it under too quickly, or ideally leave it until spring before tilling. We had a soybean field near my house left over winter and it had up to 100 deer in it. Unfortunately I could not get permission to hunt it.

Well I think you have enough about beans so I will say congrats on getting permission on that land, it looks awesome from the picts. There have been many posts in the past about thanking a farmer and keeping access to properties, I would reread them and make sure not to piss this guy off and keep access. wow. oz

By: t-roy

Starfire.....after the beans dry out, they are eating the beans themselves vs the pods. They do eat the pods and stems to a lesser extent, but the draw is the beans themselves. Standing soybeans are a great draw in the late season. The colder, the better. The soybean pods will have a tendency to start to open up the later into the winter it gets, spilling the beans on the ground. Then, the farmers are not able to combine them. Some soybean varieties are more “shatter resistant” than others and will hold onto the beans better and longer than others. The deer will forage the standing beans as well as the fallen beans on the ground throughout the winter. We see deer out in the combined bean fields here in Iowa all the way up until March-April. Oftentimes, they are several miles from any timber/cover.

Date:13-Sep-19

Thanks again for all your responses, suggestions & advice. Always learning on this forum. Planning on an opening day evening site on this property Sunday.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.