t-roy 16-Aug-19
Mark Watkins 16-Aug-19
Diesel 19-Aug-19
BullBuster 25-Aug-19
rmich10 26-Aug-19
rmich10 26-Aug-19
Mark Watkins 26-Aug-19

Date:16-Aug-19

I just wanted to see what some of you guys do. I have 2 1.5 acre brassica plots I put in 3 weeks ago. Plants are about 2 inches now. I am beginning to watch the weather to topdress with about 100 lbs 46-0-0 each right before a rain. For those size plots do you guys do it all with bag spreader or do you drive your tractor over the young plants with a cone spreader? My tractor is an old Massey 44hp.

Neither, the only thing I ever top dress is corn planted in rows. I typically spread fertilizer during my first tillage and then plant about a month later. Good luck.

If you have to top dress, use whatever will minimize disturbance to the young plants.

By: t-roy

I’ve done plots that big with a handheld spreader, and it’s a minor PIA, but not horrible. Still, if you’ve got a cone spreader, I’d much prefer using that. You will kill some plants, but some of the others that you drive on will most likely bounce back. I’d run it on as high RPMs as you can and just try to make fewer passes.

What t-roy^ said!

Mark

By: Diesel
Date:19-Aug-19

I have fertilized brassica plots with a tractor as you are suggesting. The smaller the plants the less the permanent damage there will be. You will be fine if you get on it now, but I would make sure you minimize driving on it by getting it spread with the least passes as possible. I used to stress over these things as I am a bit OCD, as i get older and lighten up a bit I find I was fretting over nothing most of the time. In the future I would spread at the time of planting.

Date:25-Aug-19

FFT. Plant annual legumes in spring and kill or preferably roller crimp after broadcasting brassicas in late summer. Provides great summer nutrition followed by green manure and you don’t need nitrogen for brassicas.

Date:26-Aug-19

rmich10's MOBILE embedded Photo

The top dressing appears to be working. Got 1.5 inches of steady light rain for 24 hours after. It appears to me they grew 2 inches in 3 to 4 days. Cereal grains and clovers going alongside this weekend.

rmich10's MOBILE embedded Photo

Great results...nicely done!!

Mark

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.