lewis 11-Aug-19
dm/wolfskin 11-Aug-19
Hans 1 11-Aug-19
olebuck 12-Aug-19
Pat Lefemine 12-Aug-19
sagittarius 14-Aug-19
drycreek 14-Aug-19

Date:10-Aug-19

I have heard a few theories on whether or not one should plant immediately after working a field up. I believe it was Ed Spin that suggested to disc, wait two weeks for seeds from weeds to germinate, and disc again then plant seed. I’m curious what other feel is the best way to avoid weeds from germinating on a field. I have already killed everything with gly two weeks ago. There is hardly any rain in the forecast so I’m waiting for now.

Depends on what you plant. You'll never eliminate all the weeds whatever you do. It's best to either spray a pre emergent before spring green up or during spring green up I like to spray roundup then disc the fields. Always plant before the rain so the soil doesn't get compacted before seed contact. If you use a roundup ready variety it's easier. Good luck

By: t-roy

Each time you disc, you will expose additional weed seeds, so you will always get a new flush of weeds, but you will kill the first flush in the process. Not sure if it will significantly reduce the number of new weeds each time, but doubt you would make a very big dent in them.

What are you planting? Waiting for rain, so I’m assuming brassicas or some type of cereal grains? It’s a tad early for the cereal grains.

Thanks guys. I’m planting cereal grains. I have oats and winter rye. I have some time still for the grains to be planted, but I finally have time to spend in the field so I was debating what to do.

By: lewis
Date:11-Aug-19

Depends on how much foliage was in the field prior to discing if it’s heavy I wait till most of it decomposes so not to hurt the seeds you are planting good luck Lewis

Everytime you turn the soil over you bring new seed to the right depth for germination. Soil works best with some moisture in it. Too wet packs the soil and henders germination. Daylight and a frost will limit the Summer weeds as you go towards Fall. I wouldn't plant without good moisture or 100% sure it's going to rain at your location. The weatherman are never wrong.ha ha

By: Hans 1

I would disc and plant right away. I often explain this as a race when you disc the ground you want your seed there to out grow the competition. The cereal grains are fast growing and will outcompete most weeds this late in the year.

Date:12-Aug-19

If you are doing a fall planting - weeds are not that big of a deal. frost is usually close behind and will kill the summer weeds anyway. if you have any winter broadleaves you can clean them up with some 24D...

Date:12-Aug-19

Pat Lefemine's embedded Photo

Olebuck x2. I prep and plant the same weekend. If it’s a clover or alfalfa field planting in the fall I’ll hit it with imox in a couple weeks.

Date:14-Aug-19

With oats and winter rye, I would only be worried about killing grasses prior to planting. As others have said, broadleaf weeds can be controlled with 2-4D.

Date:14-Aug-19

drycreek's embedded Photo

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don’t. It all depends on ground moisture, weather expectations, etc. Here at least, I don’t have lots of competition in the fall, it’s spring plots that usually get weeds and grasses in them. I’m almost straight wheat in the fall until last year when I started experimenting with some medium red clover in the plots. I think I need to cut my wheat back a little though. Here’s one of my plots, no weeds, no grass.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.