skookumjt 31-Jul-19
Trackdawg 01-Aug-19
t-roy 01-Aug-19
drycreek 03-Aug-19
dizzydctr 06-Aug-19
skookumjt 06-Aug-19
Buckhorn20 06-Aug-19

Date:30-Jul-19

Anybody know if there is a herbicide that will kill Nut Sedge in a clover plot?

I have used Permit to kill Yellow Nutsedge. It works fairly well especially if you spray when the top of the plants are only a few inches tall. I have had acceptable kills on larger plants when I mow the tops down to a few inches, wait a week or so and spray as the Nutsedge begins to actively grow again.

What I didn't like about it is:

1) Costs 2) If you spray in the late summer/fall, you cannot frost seed the plot the following spring as the label instructions say to wait 10 months(I think) before seeding into the plot..

You can use Imox herbicide. You can buy it online from Keystone Pest solutions.

Sedgehammer or basagran.

^^^^^^^What he said !

Tried Imox…….. no joy!

Date:31-Jul-19

I had yellow nutsege in my lawn. Tried everything, but couldn't kill it all.

. . .

. . . .

One fall, I decided to thatch my lawn prior to overseeding it. My lawn was dry as a bone, and the dethatcher I rented from Sunbelt Rentals chewed my lawn up like a tractor and disc that made 10 passes.

That night, Deer came out of the woods and ate all the yellow nutsedge. The tubers in the roots were exposed due to the dryness of the dirt and the dethatcher.

I have not had yellow nutsedge in my lawn for over 10 years now. The Deer herd took care of business.

Sedgehammer and Manage are great selective herbicides for yellow nutsedge control. That being said I have had no problem with seeding lawns after using it. I leave a three week gap between spraying and then seeding. The key in controlling is adding a " Spreader Sticker" to the mix as it helps the plant uptake the herbicide. Hope this helps!

By: Jethro

Solitare will selectively kill nutsedge and clover. Active ingredients Sulfentrazone and Quinclorac.

Thanks folks. Ordered some Sedgehammer.

By: lewis

Basagram easy peasy

Yellow nutsedge is awesome deer food. Fertilize it

Nutsedge is a nightmare in our part of the country. Acts almost like an invasive and is impossible to get rid of. I have never seen anything eat it.

Date:01-Aug-19

My deer don’t touch it. I use Basagran to control it.

By: t-roy
Date:01-Aug-19

Can you guys that are using Basagran, elaborate on what time of year you spray, rates, any type of adjuvant or sticker added, and any other tips or hints that work for you? It’s beginning to be a big problem in a couple of my clover plots.

Date:03-Aug-19

Troy, I used it once on a small section of clover. Just spot sprayed it in the late spring when the clover was kicking ass. It did the job. The only other time I’ve killed it was on a little section that I was planning to plant clover in, but I just nuked it with gly.

Date:06-Aug-19

I have several duck ponds and deer plots getting covered up in yellow nutsedge. Next year I plant to attack it and would like to know if anyone has used both Sledgehammer and Basagran, and could offer a comparison in cost and effectiveness. Will use the herbicide primarily in corn and sorghum along with atrazine[plus glysophhate in the corn]. Any advice will be appreciated. Keith

It needs to be treated early or after it has been mowed. Once mature, herbicides aren't very effective. Use AMS and surfactants/sticker spreader to increase effectiveness. I have been having excellent results from Hook adjuvant.

I recently used Ortho Nutsedge killer. Each 32 bottle treats 5000-6000 ft2, so ~ 7-8 bottles per acre. I used 3 bottles in 20 gallons of water and sprayed half acre plot and it worked.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.