BOHUNTER09 13-Mar-19
drycreek 14-Mar-19
t-roy 14-Mar-19
Meat Grinder 15-Mar-19
BOHUNTER09 15-Mar-19
Bigmikey600 21-Mar-19

Date:12-Mar-19

Bigmikey600's MOBILE embedded Photo

Im in southern wisconsin andjust picked up a new spot to make into a bow season stand. I have the grass peice to play with. Wondering if im overthinking it with to much or not. The woods and field are on top of a large hill with marsh on both sides so im not sure uf a water hole would help? Im thinking the red trees would be apple trees, green trees are white pine for a windscreen? And red x are possible stands. Crop fields will be alfafa. Planting maby massbuilder or some big leafy mix. On the west side of property by big marsh ill drill in strips of clover mix for late season eats. Any ideas or changes? May try some hinge cuts just inside the woods along the plot to funnle the deer

Date:12-Mar-19

Over all property

Date:13-Mar-19

I don't think I would mess with planting any trees. Depending on how big they are when you plant, it will take several YEARS for them to amount to anything and there is a good chance deer will over browse and kill them anyway. I'd work up the grassy area and plant a brassica mix, or maybe corn for late season. How big is that area, an acre or so? Stand locations seem good, I would maybe move the south one a little more SE so you can shoot out into the large field better as well as being able to hunt it with more of a west or southwest wind.

I looked it over last night, its actully mud level to lower ground being great moisture in fall for planting, its like 75yds x 150yds so around an acre total. The woods climbs up steap from the fiels so im hoping night time thermals dont push scent out there. The woods is all sugar maples from a preavious log off, there tall with no under brush or browse so in thinking stick all brassica with no trees like mentioned. Than try some hinge cut along the field edge for shooting threw and making a barrier with limited access points to the woods. The old owner said the woods never holds deer,it is really open inside.

I had quite a lot of taller maples 6-12 inches. I hinge cut some and just let some fall. They were so thick that some hung up creating a dangerous situation. There was no understory. Once that was opened up there was considerable growth from the stumps creating some browse and cover. Made a more secure bedding area. Hope you see the same results.

Date:14-Mar-19

Sounds like you need some cover/open canopy. Hinge cut the less desirable trees to accomplish both. I don't know how much ag or native browse is on yours or adjacent to, but I'd try beans in the center with white clover in the low part or around the edges. Hard to really know without seeing it.

By: t-roy
Date:14-Mar-19

I would disagree somewhat about not planting trees. Some varieties of crabapple, apple and pear trees can produce fruit in just a few years. You will definitely need to cage them and protect the trunks from rodents, though. I would stay away from pines unless you fence them off as well. Deer really seem to prefer browsing on pine trees vs spruce trees, however, the deer around my place destroyed a bunch of blue spruce that we planted around our house. They browsed them off as high as they could reach one harsh winter here.

“The best time to plant a tree is LAST year”

Date:15-Mar-19

I agree with t-roy. My buddy and I planted some Kiefer pear on his place. They've grown well, and began to produce after 2 years. They were 6-7 ft. tall when we planted them. We also planted some Dunstan Chestnuts 3 years ago and hope to see them start to produce this year. Good luck!

Date:15-Mar-19

Meat grinder. My dunstans produced few in year 4 pretty good last year (5). Hoping for more this year.

Date:21-Mar-19

My brother ordered 12 3/8"-5/8" dia apple trees. Going to stick 4-5 up by his house bc who dosent like apples! Than do a split plot i updated my drawing. Also putting in a row of apple & giant crab apple trees skipping the pine trees there

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.