Schmitty78 19-Feb-19
MilkweedManiac 19-Feb-19
Deerplotter 19-Feb-19
X-Master 19-Feb-19
lewis 19-Feb-19
MilkweedManiac 19-Feb-19

Date:19-Feb-19

MilkweedManiac's MOBILE embedded Photo

My dad and I are new to growing clover, and had a really nice stand of it this last season. Trail cameras show that deer are still eating it 3 days a week or so.

We aren’t sure if this shows enough bare soil to justify reseeding the plot to make sure it comes back strong and healthy.

But with a few frosts left on the calendar, we need to get it done soon before spring warm-up.

I’d love to hear opinions on if this plot (see picture) needs oversown.

By: t-roy

Prime candidate for just frost seeding into your existing plot. Clover is tailor made for frost seeding. Looks like you have a good stand to begin with, but frost seeding into it can do nothing but improve it even more.

i Have a plot that looks just like that and I frost seeded it this past weekend

That settles it! I was leaning to just adding some more seed and it looks like that's the best plan.

Any recommendations on seeding rate? I've heard to up the percentage when clover is already growing due to lower seed to soil?

Agree with the re-seeding recommendations for your clover field. I tend to suggest a little heavier seeding rate of 8-10# per acre for frost seeding. It will help keep the weeds at bay and be lush after new growth.

Grand Pa Ray's Overseed mix at the 8#'s per acres recommended above. Depending on where you are located - north - you still have at least a month or better to do it. South a little less. You won't regret it- also get an updated soil sample as soon as it dries up some and add appropriate lime and fertilizer recommended.

By: lewis

What are you all mixing your clover seed with not trying to hijack the thread Lewis

Thanks very much for that information!

We had heard somewhere that overseeding clover can weaken the current stand and were nervous about it, but I guess with those bare spots there isn't much danger in it. Will shoot for 8-10 per acre.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.